Spinniest but fastest all-wood blade that you've tried.

This user has no status.
It is something to ponder that players in China are encouraged to use blades above 90 grams.

That’s very interesting. If that is what they are encouraged to do, there is no doubt a very good reason for it...

My blades range from 112 grams down to 85 grams (all 1 ply).

I personally prefer my lighter blades, as I believe my swing is faster, and transition between forehand and backhand is quicker. I also find the lighter blades less tiring to use.

Having said that, I think my blocking and bat angles are possibly a little more precise with the heavier blades, due to the added weight.

I shadow train (Brian Pace video) with my 103 gram blade to improve my strength and swing speed. After doing that, when I play matches with my regular blades (85g & 90g), they feel light as a feather.

Reactions: thomas.pong
That’s very interesting. If that is what they are encouraged to do, there is no doubt a very good reason for it...

My blades range from 112 grams down to 85 grams (all 1 ply).

I personally prefer my lighter blades, as I believe my swing is faster, and transition between forehand and backhand is quicker. I also find the lighter blades less tiring to use.

Having said that, I think my blocking and bat angles are possibly a little more precise with the heavier blades, due to the added weight.

I shadow train (Brian Pace video) with my 103 gram blade to improve my strength and swing speed. After doing that, when I play matches with my regular blades (85g & 90g), they feel light as a feather.
If you are a trained player and have proper strokes, you will know there is a big difference in using both blades. As long as the arm allows the weight and you have the skills, heavy blades have an advantage. I have used a lighter blade but a composite one with the same rubbers but my shots seem to lack power and speed. I shifted to a 7 ply all wood blade with the sake swing but the set up is heavier at 190 grams total and i felt my shots are faster.

This user has no status.
If you are a trained player and have proper strokes, you will know there is a big difference in using both blades. As long as the arm allows the weight and you have the skills, heavy blades have an advantage. I have used a lighter blade but a composite one with the same rubbers but my shots seem to lack power and speed. I shifted to a 7 ply all wood blade with the sake swing but the set up is heavier at 190 grams total and i felt my shots are faster.

I honestly don’t feel my shots are any slower with the 85g 1 ply compared to my 103g blade from the same maker. It feels like I could put a hole in the wall with either one. If it is slower, and it may be, the difference is imperceptible.

Having said that, I definitely don’t have ‘proper strokes’ (‘unorthodox’ would be a kind description of my forehand [emoji1])...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Some people are more sensitive to equipment.

This is a good point. Touch and feeling are connected. And the development of higher level technique is dependent on touch and the ability to feel subtle differences in contact quality.

Trying to work on this is elusive and not so easy. But, it is worth knowing that this is a valuable skill to try and cultivate.

This user has no status.
This is a good point. Touch and feeling are connected. And the development of higher level technique is dependent on touch and the ability to feel subtle differences in contact quality.

Trying to work on this is elusive and not so easy. But, it is worth knowing that this is a valuable skill to try and cultivate.

In line with what you are saying here, my coach often says that all the time spent training on the table will help develop that touch and feeling required to truly advance.

Interestingly, he says that the more I develop that touch and feeling with my inverted rubber, it will also greatly assist with my long pips play, a point I hadn’t thought about, but makes total sense. No doubt this is why a 2500 level player could take any blade with any rubber and typically crush a 2000 level player.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
In line with what you are saying here, my coach often says that all the time spent training on the table will help develop that touch and feeling required to truly advance.

Interestingly, he says that the more I develop that touch and feeling with my inverted rubber, it will also greatly assist with my long pips play, a point I hadn’t thought about, but makes total sense. No doubt this is why a 2500 level player could take any blade with any rubber and typically crush a 2000 level player.

What Freitas is doing on the edge of the table, practicing that can actually really help both touch and feel. All the other things as well have to do with a crazy amount of control of the blade face.

But the thing on the edge of the table is something that can be practiced fairly easily, against a wall first and then on the edge of the table. And it is interesting how that will improve things like short game and how you feel subtle differences in contact. :)

This user has no status.

What Freitas is doing on the edge of the table, practicing that can actually really help both touch and feel. All the other things as well have to do with a crazy amount of control of the blade face.

Incredible! I like when he is doing it and casually looks at the camera without missing a beat. [emoji1] Very impressive, and I can see how that would definitely help, especially for the short game. Thanks for sharing the video.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Incredible! I like when he is doing it and casually looks at the camera without missing a beat. [emoji1] Very impressive, and I can see how that would definitely help, especially for the short game. Thanks for sharing the video.

Because it forces you to control how you touch the ball, the actually helps you make really spinny serves and loops as well. It makes it so you can have more control over how light, or how deep your contact is. It is interesting. Since most people have tools to practice deeper contact, but not more delicate contact, end up benefiting in how they make deep contact by practicing a soft touch exercise.

And the spin catcher, you can see how he can make the contact so delicate that the ball does not actually engage the sponge but makes hundreds of super thin contacts for him to be able to control the spin. But you would be surprised how, things like how he is rolling the ball from one blade face to the other or balancing the ball on the edge, those things really help your control of the blade face as well which helps you transfer more power into the ball....even on more delicate contact. :)

Reactions: PushSmasher
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
PushSmasher said:
... Interestingly, he says that the more I develop that touch and feeling with my inverted rubber, it will also greatly assist with my long pips play, a point I hadn’t thought about, but makes total sense. No doubt this is why a 2500 level player could take any blade with any rubber and typically crush a 2000 level player.

Improved development and touch has allowed me to pick up 1900-2000 USATTlevel players' LP bat and play vs them using that very same bat and win. Position, balance, impact timing, feel/touch, control of impact zone, point construction, a plan, and desire go a long way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Do heavier blades have an advantage?
Yes, but there is a disadvantage too.
https://deltamotion.com/peter/TableTennis/Mathcad - TT Physics, Paddle Mass .pdf
The plot shows the speed after contact assuming a flat hit. The ball is incoming at 10 m/s and the paddle is moving forward at 20 m/s.

One can see that a 200 gm paddle is not twice as fast as a 100 gm paddle but it is faster. The disadvantage is that because the paddle is twice as heavy it will take twice as much energy to get it too speed and twice as much force to get it to speed in the same distance. A question that should be asked is can I swing this lighter paddle faster to make up for the lack of mass. Possibly. The paddle's mass is small relative to the whole arm and body so just because the paddle is half the weight doesn't mean if can be moved to twice the speed. There is a limit to how fast you can swing your empty hand. Everything is a trade off and it depends on the person. A muscle bound weight lifter may not be able to swing fast anyway and would barely feel the difference. I smaller lighter person would probably benefit from using a lighter paddle that they can accelerate more easily.

One should always ask why if a 200 gm paddle is better then why not a 500 gm paddle? Now you can see a 500 gm paddle is faster but it will require 2.5 times more energy and force to get it to speed.

The point is there is a sweat spot and it lies in a range of paddle weights from about 160-200 gm but different people will find different paddle weights suit them the best.

However, looping is not done by flat hitting. It is done by brushing with a closed paddle. It is the paddle speed tangential to the ball that will make the most difference as the contact gets thinner and thinner. When the paddle is angled closed 45 degree and the swing is in the same plane you don't want a fast normal paddle speed because that would make the ball go down into the table or net. It is the tangential force generated by the rubber ( upwards )that keeps trajectory of the ball from going into the net. In these cases I would prefer a slightly lighter paddle to get more tangential force.

So basically, just get a paddle that works for you. Many will do if you are brushing balls because rubber is much more important than the paddle.

One more thing. Always question anybody that says harder is faster than softer or heavier is faster than lighter.
There is a reason why rubbers and blade characteristics are in a small range. There is such a thing as too much and too little. So what makes the next new rubber or blade so fantastic that it can be an outlier with no adverse effects or is it really any different that what has come before.

Reactions: Tango K
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One totally difficult to quantify arguement about the extra 10-20 grams or so a 100 gram blade has...

Think about your arm, it doesn't weight 100 grams, it is more like a few kilograms. Your body weight daily changes 1 percent or so. That is more than a 20 gram daily change and people handle it with their swing.

Where it may come into play as being more difficult is when one tries to accellerate the extra mas from rest with just wrist impulse.

Everything has been said about the mass but the density of the wood layer was not even mentioned and considered. Have people thought about why 2 same blades have different weights and speeds? Has people even considered that the heavier blades have more dense wood layers and also produce extra rebound??

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
One totally difficult to quantify arguement about the extra 10-20 grams or so a 100 gram blade has...
Yes, I thought I said so.

Where it may come into play as being more difficult is when one tries to accellerate the extra mas from rest with just wrist impulse.
10 grams isn't much. With a firm grip the mass of the hand and wrist could be added to the mass of the paddle.
The paddle isn't swinging in free air. It is attached to the body especially with a firm grip so does adding to mass of the paddle really affect the effective mass if you include the hand and wrist?

Again, I think this is moot when it comes to spin.

Just an opinion. We have a pretty good idea of what makes a good stroke but we really don't have any clue of the fine points that make an optimal stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Without being nitpick I can clearly feel the difference of 5g in the same blade. Especially so when involving my wrist
I'd rather take an 80g off+ blade than a 95g off. But that's me

Me as well, every time I reboost. Although it doesn’t really bother me. Particularly when you focus on spin, you don’t tend to have a firm grip anyway.

Talk about firm grip, I gotta say it’s been bloody hard for me to train my training partner, a gym-goer, to loosen his grip for 1 year! And it has much more drastic impact than even carbon vs 5 ply!!! And probably everybody on both scientific and feeling sides of the fence agrees that grip changes the impact much more than the blade itself.

In the end of the day, I think this is where “feeling” and “science” collide into “fact”. I think the weight impacts your grip and your swing subconsciously much more than its own scientific number. Back to the day when I hit with a lightweight PG7, the balls were slow and I felt them so fast :cool: just because the hits sound loud and the blade was shaken like crazy!!!

2 cents from a guy jumping around the fence :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Everything has been said about the mass but the density of the wood layer was not even mentioned and considered. Have people thought about why 2 same blades have different weights and speeds? Has people even considered that the heavier blades have more dense wood layers and also produce extra rebound??
You are spreading more BS, I mean myths!
Saying it is so doesn't make it so.
What does the density of wood have to do with it?
Tell us, we are all waiting to know.
The trap is set, making pop corn to see if Yogi takes the bait.