How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
https://youtu.be/cMQ3TYKUrO8link to my last match.Comments please, I'm wearing blue T shirt!!!

Your hard work and your initiative in seeking coaching has done you a lot of good. The level of opposition might be different, but your technique is much cleaner here. You are playing over the ball on both sides with solid topspins and not flat shots. A radical difference to me from the last video you shared. Sometimes, the core isn't as involved as ideal because of movement/footwork, but we are adult learners, that is what we do. But here, you are playing a lot of genuine topspins.

Other comments:You could get a bit more out of your backhand serve with some practiced variations - your wrist is currently a bit too stifff. Your punch serve is really good. I think you need to work on circular high ball technique - you throw away a lot of points trying to flat smash easy balls.'

We are adult learners for sure with all the age and physical limitations therein but if you found away to get your legs ready to play the forehand topspin when the ball came to your forehand side off a push and did it more often, I think this would be a game changer.

More comments: Watching the match later, you started using circular technique and topspinning the high ball and did better. I don't see why with a more consistent approach to picking up balls on the forehand side you shouldn't do well in this matchup.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
IB66,

You did a lot of stuff to give him the match. Multiple unforced errors. Your aggressive receive of serve lost points. Your misread of light spin caused popups he killed. Similar misread from his light or dead push got you killed. You gave away points on half your power loops that were not clear chances.

What kept you in the match was your serving and occasional placement on a block or receive to his middle. As match got longer, you were better on popup or high balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
https://youtu.be/cMQ3TYKUrO8
link to my last match.
Comments please, I'm wearing blue T shirt!!!

HI IB66
1st body language:- I think a more poker face is a big asset in any match - dont show emotion

Unless I am very much mistaken you possess a very good pendulum serve which you did not use at all but still you showed a very good hook serve with backspin to good effect throughout so altogether you seemed to have the tools to win against this gent 3-0.

with the serves at your disposal you just needed to have the mental control to play safely and its job done. Next time dont go for outright winners immediately instead soft shot small advantage, win on NEXT SHOT.
So i would say you need to practice soft flips and touch play along with practicing yr fh opener against push
practicing yr fh opener is not about rocket loops but just consistent play,, but I am sure you know that...

practice against a chopper to do gentle topspin-push gentle topspin to all parts of table. When you can do 30 stroke rally of this kind you would win this match with ease.

I think the good news is that the long path ahead of you is upwards !

Reactions: LDM7 and IB66
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
A little on my opponent John, I have played him once previously about 3yrs ago and lost 3 zip, an easy game for him!! This time it went to 5 so there’s an improvement there.
Johns ranking in this league is 1012, in another league 1673 ( which is pretty close to TT365 ranking system which a good number of clubs use here in UK) My rankings are 658 and 1371 So a relatively large difference!!
Last night was a little jaded, knees were in pretty good shape but lower back wasn’t!! If it ain’t one thing it’s something else!!
So movement was pretty crap!!! No excuse there though. Too many mistakes and didn’t really implement what we have been training to do, which is a more controlled lower speed higher spin open up’s BH and FH

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
A little on my opponent John, I have played him once previously about 3yrs ago and lost 3 zip, an easy game for him!! This time it went to 5 so there’s an improvement there.
Johns ranking in this league is 1012, in another league 1673 ( which is pretty close to TT365 ranking system which a good number of clubs use here in UK) My rankings are 658 and 1371 So a relatively large difference!!
Last night was a little jaded, knees were in pretty good shape but lower back wasn’t!! If it ain’t one thing it’s something else!!
So movement was pretty crap!!! No excuse there though. Too many mistakes and didn’t really implement what we have been training to do, which is a more controlled lower speed higher spin open up’s BH and FH

I suspect if you played him without the history and the pressure from it that you put on yourself, you would have won (that's my opinion). You have lot of the right tools, the key is to combine them to make it work, a little less power, a bit more placement, but stepping to the right place to make it work is a challenge. I didn't feel watching the match your opponent was better than you, though I suspect he took less risk because he probably felt safer than he should have.

BTW, you played an awesome quasi-pivot FH point I need to find. That is what we play TT for - those moments where we hit the highlight topspin :D.

Last edited:

Evening IB66,

Thanks for pointing out your lower back discomfort, that does answer some of what I was wondering. No excuses taken. We are not in our teens anymore. Sometimes my achiles tendon flares up & I don't move as well. BTW, when you say visiting your physio, do you have access to a facility (& staff) or use a massage therapist treatment?

I am glad you provided your match link for viewing & feedback. As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another ...

I noticed Der, NL & PPP have provided feedback that are far better than I ever can, I am going to step aside on this one

I mean you are a better player than me (and a certified L1 coach), I am jst not that comfortable offering comments on your matches b/c I am not confident that I know what I am talking about ... yet

LDM7

Reactions: IB66
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

I suspect if you played him without the history and the pressure from it that you put on yourself, you would have won (that's my opinion). You have lot of the right tools, the key is to combine them to make it work, a little less power, a bit more placement, but stepping to the right place to make it work is a challenge. I didn't feel watching the match your opponent was better than you, though I suspect he took less risk because he probably felt safer than he should have.

BTW, you played an awesome quasi-pivot FH point I need to find. That is what we play TT for - those moments where we hit the highlight topspin :D.

This ties in with one of pingpongpaddy’s comments about not using my FH pendulum serve.
1st match I used it a lot, and was playing a more FH 3rd ball attack game, opening up FH side, after all I believe the FH pendulum is considered a FH orientated serve.
Also, I didn’t have the hook / punch serve then, 1st match was pre COVID, I taught myself that serve during the COVID lockdown period.
Perhaps that underlying memory of the previous match using the FH pendulum serve & loosing badly was in my subconscious!!

After the coaching sessions earlier this year, We decided that 2 wing attack style is a better option!! Just not fit enough, fast enough etc to cover the open FH table!!!

Reactions: NextLevel
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Evening IB66,

Thanks for pointing out your lower back discomfort, that does answer some of what I was wondering. No excuses taken. We are not in our teens anymore. Sometimes my achiles tendon flares up & I don't move as well. BTW, when you say visiting your physio, do you have access to a facility (& staff) or use a massage therapist treatment?

I am glad you provided your match link for viewing & feedback. As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another ...

I noticed Der, NL & PPP have provided feedback that are far better than I ever can, I am going to step aside on this one

I mean you are a better player than me (and a certified L1 coach), I am jst not that comfortable offering comments on your matches b/c I am not confident that I know what I am talking about ... yet

LDM7
There’s an old saying “ if you can’t do it, teach it” !!!! 🤣😂

I go to a Private physiotherapist, deep massage, acupuncture ( had DEEP acupuncture ONCE, holy cow that rattles through ALL of your nervous system!! ONCE was enough!!!!🤣) electric shock😂 ( pins and needles pads ) they used to use manipulation ( clunking you back in place) but this has died right off over the years. Depending on injury type - ultrasound - this apparently shakes cells back in line or something like that, totally painless this one, unless you have broke a bone in which case it’s excruciatingly painful !!!!! Stretching exercises etc

Did you ever or regularly play Badminton? Achilles issues are %wise linked to Badminton. Especially ruptured and snapped Achilles’ tendons.

Please comment LDM7, it’s all part of learning, no one’s gonna think any worse of you. Sure we get stuff wrong sometimes, but you learn by mistakes (well hopefully!!!)
If you can see stuff that’s wrong and right with my game / technique then when you watch your own matches you can identify and confirm with others. Once you can see what’s good and bad, then as you access your opponent during a match you are gonna get better at that as well!!!

• Love
Reactions: LDM7
Hi IB66,

It took you less than (17:54 and first 3 mins were warm up) to play five games, IMO either the pace is too fast or points are ending too quick

I am learning (and putting in practice) about RRPE (React - Reset - Plan - Execute)

I am in the school of thought it is OK to show emotions (release stress & anxiety) so long not going for Harimoto Award (intensity) every opportunity

I think sports should be played with fear, jubilations, frustrations and celebrations ... this is what makes competitive sports fun for me

I THEN RE-SET, I have at least two rituals that direct my focus (& brain) to the next point and next point alone. After all - one can only lose or win one point at a time!

The having a plan before serving (or receive) is the hard part for me, still WIP

Finally, execution is equally challenging for me b/c my concentration comes & goes during a match.

I do know the more I try, practice & self-talk positively, I am confident I will execute my plan better and not just putting my serves out there & going through the motion on other rally points

Ta' Ta'

LDM7

Last edited:
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

HI IB66
1st body language:- I think a more poker face is a big asset in any match - dont show emotion

Unless I am very much mistaken you possess a very good pendulum serve which you did not use at all but still you showed a very good hook serve with backspin to good effect throughout so altogether you seemed to have the tools to win against this gent 3-0.

with the serves at your disposal you just needed to have the mental control to play safely and its job done. Next time dont go for outright winners immediately instead soft shot small advantage, win on NEXT SHOT.
So i would say you need to practice soft flips and touch play along with practicing yr fh opener against push
practicing yr fh opener is not about rocket loops but just consistent play,, but I am sure you know that...

practice against a chopper to do gentle topspin-push gentle topspin to all parts of table. When you can do 30 stroke rally of this kind you would win this match with ease.

I think the good news is that the long path ahead of you is upwards !

Hi PPP,

Yeah I show emotions !! Perhaps to much depending on how you feel about that!! Perhaps show positive emotions rather than negative.

Muscle and mind memory ( perhaps out of sync after 30+ years) back in the day I played a lot of FH topspin v backspin, no spin floaters, light spin, Barna bat choppers in practice sessions, Back then, 30 Stroke rally was possible and was not safe or slow, a mixture, rocket loops slower loops NO pushing in between!!!
Nowadays !!!! Hahahaha, Mind and body still think that’s possible, REALITY CHECK !!!!
Still ingrained but not same technique ability I had back then!!!

FH pendulum serve, did use it a couple of times, think receive error to one of those serves resulted (gotta check again!) should have used it more than I did. Point taken!!

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
IB66,

You did a lot of stuff to give him the match. Multiple unforced errors. Your aggressive receive of serve lost points. Your misread of light spin caused popups he killed. Similar misread from his light or dead push got you killed. You gave away points on half your power loops that were not clear chances.

What kept you in the match was your serving and occasional placement on a block or receive to his middle. As match got longer, you were better on popup or high balls.

Hi Der,

Yep 100% correct. Wasn’t expecting anything less!!!
1st 2 ends were very poor, just lame!!!
Didn’t do what we have been aiming for, which compared to other matches that I’ve won and lost recently, when I did implement things better, is the REAL let down!!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

I am with NL, Paddy and anyone else of the opinion that you should have won 3-0 or 3-1.

That opponent has a BH attach vs a high, light spin or dead ball, a FH pick hit vs easy ball, and not much else for point winning.

YOU, on the other hand, have a LOT more things you do to win points... plus you know enough tactics to get it done.

What really killed you was your inability to see he was using less spin and less pace on his serves (and pushes), so that got you reaching too far forward with arm and too open bat angle that gave him meatball after meatball.

The more you can recognize things like this and the more you can adjust, you will win more matches.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi PPP,

Yeah I show emotions !! Perhaps to much depending on how you feel about that!! Perhaps show positive emotions rather than negative.

Muscle and mind memory ( perhaps out of sync after 30+ years) back in the day I played a lot of FH topspin v backspin, no spin floaters, light spin, Barna bat choppers in practice sessions, Back then, 30 Stroke rally was possible and was not safe or slow, a mixture, rocket loops slower loops NO pushing in between!!!
Nowadays !!!! Hahahaha, Mind and body still think that’s possible, REALITY CHECK !!!!
Still ingrained but not same technique ability I had back then!!!

FH pendulum serve, did use it a couple of times, think receive error to one of those serves resulted (gotta check again!) should have used it more than I did. Point taken!!

Hi IB66,

I prolly have a larger gut than you, easily a stone or two heavier, but I will get into position and spin heavy. YOU CAN STILL DO IT. It is more about being in general good position and being relaxed. When close to table it is more important for stance and getting hips down as ball goes down before bounce. YOU CAN STILL DO IT.

Next Level might vomit at the thought of me weighing 40-50 lbs more than when he saw me play 6-8 yrs ago.

• Haha
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This is also a good examination of the mental aspect of TT matches.

I am not against showing some emotion, especially after you make a good shot or come out on top of a good rally.

I think what Paddy is discussing is when you get too down after missing a shot or losing a rally or a bad mistake. People tend to get too down on themselves. In such a moment, it is possible the WORST thing you can do for your chances on the next point or the game or match. Many a match has turned for the worse on just a single point and how a player responds negatively. I think this is the territory Paddy is discussing and it can wipe you out. He correctly emphasizes this IMO.

Maybe this is where LDM7 likes my overall approach, I do my best to keep him from extremes in his expectations and reactions, while encouraging his emotion on good plays or rallies... I might be over heavy in this aspect, I have invented several cheers that are simply WILD.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Personally, in the first 3 years after I moved to California, (after my initial ratings drop) I took zero lessons, do practically zero drills, and went to the TT club maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours and basically GOOFED OFF... but it wasn't mindless. I tried to apply a better attitude with some of the things I was practicing with only light stress or emphasis. I greatly reduced the number of local league matches I did.

When I did tourneys, I incrementally improved my responses to points that didn't go my way. With enough improvement, it was making a difference... tourney by tourney I did better in the mental aspect WITHOUT ANY SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN BALL STRIKING. Eventually, I was pressuring the 2000+ crowd, an occasion win here or there, then I started to defeat a few of this class each tourney. Then, I knew I was 2000+ Cali and it showed.

This is a small story of how an over the hill over-heavy dude and turn some stuff around without improving base level or ball striking skills. ANYONE should be able to do it if my hot garbage self improved from a trash container fire into above average.

Paddy might remember me from the days of DTTW forum (Dennis Table Tennis World) where I enthusiastically posted as a 1400 level rec player. It can be turned around, even with a late start.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Let's look at some ball abuse...

https://youtu.be/cMQ3TYKUrO8?t=409

These should always be taken with circular technique ( an windmill topspin of sorts, not a smash) unless you practice smashing in drills and have a very very high percentage.

https://youtu.be/cMQ3TYKUrO8?t=440

My favorite shot of the match - music to my ears - the sound of spin:

https://youtu.be/cMQ3TYKUrO8?t=677

Whatever the result, when I hit the kinds of shots in the first and third links, I look at myself in the mirror and want to kiss myself - just saying...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Last comment before moving on - these serves are usually long and should ideally be topspinned not flicked. But if you flick/attack them too early, you think they are short and get into trouble. The serve would likely drift long and be an easy topspin point for you - but only if you realize and wait for it and don't let the desire to flick it because it looks short early fool you - it is high enough to topspin.

https://youtu.be/cMQ3TYKUrO8?t=708

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Personally, in the first 3 years after I moved to California, (after my initial ratings drop) I took zero lessons, do practically zero drills, and went to the TT club maybe 2 or 3 times a week for a few hours and basically GOOFED OFF... but it wasn't mindless. I tried to apply a better attitude with some of the things I was practicing with only light stress or emphasis. I greatly reduced the number of local league matches I did.

When I did tourneys, I incrementally improved my responses to points that didn't go my way. With enough improvement, it was making a difference... tourney by tourney I did better in the mental aspect WITHOUT ANY SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT IN BALL STRIKING. Eventually, I was pressuring the 2000+ crowd, an occasion win here or there, then I started to defeat a few of this class each tourney. Then, I knew I was 2000+ Cali and it showed.

This is a small story of how an over the hill over-heavy dude and turn some stuff around without improving base level or ball striking skills. ANYONE should be able to do it if my hot garbage self improved from a trash container fire into above average.

Paddy might remember me from the days of DTTW forum (Dennis Table Tennis World) where I enthusiastically posted as a 1400 level rec player. It can be turned around, even with a late start.

back then you already stood out as moving in the right DERection!

Hi Der,

Yep 100% correct. Wasn’t expecting anything less!!!
1st 2 ends were very poor, just lame!!!
Didn’t do what we have been aiming for, which compared to other matches that I’ve won and lost recently, when I did implement things better, is the REAL let down!!

Morning IB66,

One area focusing to improve is striking EVERY ball with quality (spin, location, timing, height ...) exerting pressure onto the other (especially on opening)

This requires an attitude adjustment above my neck, between my ears

I am training every shot with intent (BH whip, FH power from the ground up)

Also I make certain I am physically warmed up, ready to compete, even a practice session as I am a believer of you practice how you play matches (carries over better)

Good show mate 👍

Let's do another round of video analysis in two week (a break & get some training in)

LDM7