Video Footage Safe Thread

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Hi everyone, first time posting in this thread. I have always meant to but haven't had the opportunity.
I am posting a video of myself (facing the camera) looping fh. What I am trying to do is consistent loops, so these are not my most spinny nor fastest nor most powerful ones.
I have been practicing faster / stronger loops but I didn't do it in this video. Hopefully I will do it in my next video.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Cheerse

Very nice, safe forehand. You have good feeling because the sound of your contact is almost the same every time, even when your partner blocks harder or slower. My one suggestion is that you could get some easy quality improvement if you think about looping by pulling your left side/shoulder back rather than your right arm forward. Not changing the stroke at all, it's really great, just activating your left side also to add that energy to the stroke.

Sometimes you finish with your left arm still across your body, almost like an old-school hidden serve position. If I saw that in a game I would for sure test your fh-bh transition because it isn't a neutral finish position. Of course this is the only time I have seen you hit, and you are doing a very specific thing. So ignore my comment if it doesn't apply in real life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews

Very nice, safe forehand. You have good feeling because the sound of your contact is almost the same every time, even when your partner blocks harder or slower. My one suggestion is that you could get some easy quality improvement if you think about looping by pulling your left side/shoulder back rather than your right arm forward. Not changing the stroke at all, it's really great, just activating your left side also to add that energy to the stroke.

Sometimes you finish with your left arm still across your body, almost like an old-school hidden serve position. If I saw that in a game I would for sure test your fh-bh transition because it isn't a neutral finish position. Of course this is the only time I have seen you hit, and you are doing a very specific thing. So ignore my comment if it doesn't apply in real life.

Thanks Brs!
I will take note of the left hand!
I have a feeling when I put more weigh into the shots, the left arm will move naturally.
I will try shoot another video this week, aiming to do some faster loops.
The one I posted is the controlled type where I am trying to do as many loops in a rally taking into account of the blocking.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hi everyone, first time posting in this thread. I have always meant to but haven't had the opportunity.
I am posting a video of myself (facing the camera) looping fh. What I am trying to do is consistent loops, so these are not my most spinny nor fastest nor most powerful ones.
I have been practicing faster / stronger loops but I didn't do it in this video. Hopefully I will do it in my next video.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Cheerse

Really solid!

BRS has made a great point already.

One thing I can't quite work out from the angle, is whether you are going forward through the ball, or ever so slightly around it?

Do you find the ball flys straight, or does it have a little side spin on it?

It looks a little like you are trying too much to get the speed and spin with your arm alone.

On some of the shots, you ripped your wrist up to give it more spin, causing the blocker to block long - Was that intentional or accidental?

I personally like the use of the wrist in loops (more European than Chinese style) - I think it gives you a lot of options for both cross court and down the line.

Not to mention you can have very similar looking shots, but one has a lot more spin than the other.

But overall, they are really solid looking shots.

How do you feel about them in matchplay situations?

Reactions: JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews

Really solid!

BRS has made a great point already.

One thing I can't quite work out from the angle, is whether you are going forward through the ball, or ever so slightly around it?

Do you find the ball flys straight, or does it have a little side spin on it?

It looks a little like you are trying too much to get the speed and spin with your arm alone.

On some of the shots, you ripped your wrist up to give it more spin, causing the blocker to block long - Was that intentional or accidental?

I personally like the use of the wrist in loops (more European than Chinese style) - I think it gives you a lot of options for both cross court and down the line.

Not to mention you can have very similar looking shots, but one has a lot more spin than the other.

But overall, they are really solid looking shots.

How do you feel about them in matchplay situations?

Thanks NDH!

Regarding the use of arm to generate the speed and spin alone, I think you are right. I do have a history of bad knee, but my knee has been doing relatively well lately, which has allowed me to move around more freely and move to the ball etc. I have been working on snapping the arm faster for the faster type of loop, so I assume because I am trying to just consistently produce stable loops, I would be unconsciously doing the arms more than the legs/body. I think it will be more evident in my next video when I try to do the faster loops, whether I am only using my arm that time.

I think the ball flies straight.

I haven't consciously decided to use more wrist in some shots, so might be accidental, but I do use lots of wrist in the past.

I usually win with spin in match situations, especially on opening up the backspin pushes. (that is if my loop lands :p)

Reactions: NDH

NDH

says Spin to win!
My friend’s vid. Been learning for a month now

https://youtu.be/ofr3HCNpA6Y

Nice looking forehands.

Do you have a coach? If so, I'd very much ignore the online forums from a learning POV, and really listen to someone who can see you in person.

The limited advice I'd give you from that video is to not use too much arm when trying to get more power.

I noticed you tried to hit a few balls harder, and your legs and body didn't do anything differently, but your arm was quicker and more powerful.

That might work OK in these drills, but it's not going to work in a match situation.

Power comes from the legs and core - That rotation and distribution of power from legs, to core, to arm is what gives you extra power.

Not just a faster arm swing.

But if you have a coach, you'll progress very nicely!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

Nice looking forehands.

Do you have a coach? If so, I'd very much ignore the online forums from a learning POV, and really listen to someone who can see you in person.

The limited advice I'd give you from that video is to not use too much arm when trying to get more power.

I noticed you tried to hit a few balls harder, and your legs and body didn't do anything differently, but your arm was quicker and more powerful.

That might work OK in these drills, but it's not going to work in a match situation.

Power comes from the legs and core - That rotation and distribution of power from legs, to core, to arm is what gives you extra power.

Not just a faster arm swing.

But if you have a coach, you'll progress very nicely!

I shown him your message and he said that he developed back pain that’s why he can’t rotate his body well as of now. He asked me to thank you for the advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021
Hello fellow table tennis addicts. Just looking to get some feedback on my FH topspins. My partner that is blocking for me isn't the most consistant blocker so i didn't feel like i could properly commit to using my body for the power in most of the strokes however there were some i feel kinda had my faster stronger rythem. Also maybe the inconsistent blocks help me adjust? (I'm the tall stick man in the grey nike top)

Things i kinda noted already are,
1. Could be rotating my body before my arm into the stroke eg, 1.legs/hips, 2. chest/upper body. 3 arm
2 Lazy feet? ( haven't really ever worked on footwork properly but as im playing better players i'm finding this is something i need to work on.

I also am wondering if you guys ever contract your forearm closed at the end of the stroke for more of a whip like effect once the elbow is a little out infront, just before contacting the ball?

Any comments, advice or anything is welcome. I'll take all the tips I can get on my never ending journey to perfection XD

https://youtu.be/Na22WBoyBgU

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hello fellow table tennis addicts. Just looking to get some feedback on my FH topspins. My partner that is blocking for me isn't the most consistant blocker so i didn't feel like i could properly commit to using my body for the power in most of the strokes however there were some i feel kinda had my faster stronger rythem. Also maybe the inconsistent blocks help me adjust? (I'm the tall stick man in the grey nike top)

1. Could be rotating my body before my arm into the stroke eg, 1.legs/hips, 2. chest/upper body. 3 arm
2 Lazy feet? ( haven't really ever worked on footwork properly but as im playing better players i'm finding this is something i need to work on.

I also am wondering if you guys ever contract your forearm closed at the end of the stroke for more of a whip like effect once the elbow is a little out infront, just before contacting the ball?

Any comments, advice or anything is welcome. I'll take all the tips I can get on my never ending journey to perfection XD

Tall TT players unite!! 😁

Great video!

Initial observation would be that you seem to have your weight on your heels at times, almost leaning backwards (it could be the angle of the video though).

If that is the case, a very small balance shift would make a big difference to the speed and spin of your shots.

You want to try and get your weight and arm coming forward through the ball at the point of contact.

Other than that, you've highlighted the other 2 things I would have mentioned already!

It looks like you are playing at 60-70% against your opponent - How do you feel those shots translate in matches at 100%?

Overall - Great looking shots!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Great video!

Initial observation would be that you seem to have your weight on your heels at times, almost leaning backwards (it could be the angle of the video though).

If that is the case, a very small balance shift would make a big difference to the speed and spin of your shots.

I agree with NDH. Definitely you are rocking back slightly because your right toes come off the ground as you swing. I do this too - it isn't helpful.

Don't try to fix it with your feet, just lean forward from the waist slightly, like 10 degrees. If you look at your blocker he appears to be leaning forward enough to stay balanced - it doesn't have to be a big change.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

I think the stroke looks pretty good but you seem from this angle to be way to sitting, so the weight is to far back at the heels. Will be very difficult to get the power forward and move fast if you are sitting. Try to lean forward so you are almost falling over and see how that works.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
https://youtu.be/2wj3Rc8fztg

Short vid of me doing some practice rallies (not too much room in the garage for lateral movement so we try to keep the ball in the centre of the table). Looking for some advice/tips on my technique (never been to a club or had any type of coaching). Thanks.

NDH

says Spin to win!
https://youtu.be/2wj3Rc8fztg

Short vid of me doing some practice rallies (not too much room in the garage for lateral movement so we try to keep the ball in the centre of the table). Looking for some advice/tips on my technique (never been to a club or had any type of coaching). Thanks.

Just to clarify.....

You've never had a single coaching session or been to a club?

Your entire game has come from.... playing in your garage?

Go and get an hour of coaching and you'll be beating Ma Long 😉

Joking aside, if you've genuinely never had any coaching or club play..... You have the best technique and movement I've ever seen from someone who hasn't been coached.

But I'm finding it very hard to believe that!

How did you learn?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

Just to clarify.....

You've never had a single coaching session or been to a club?

Your entire game has come from.... playing in your garage?

Go and get an hour of coaching and you'll be beating Ma Long 😉

Joking aside, if you've genuinely never had any coaching or club play..... You have the best technique and movement I've ever seen from someone who hasn't been coached.

But I'm finding it very hard to believe that!

How did you learn?

Yes it's true. I have no reason to lie 😂. I guess I started playing very young playing with my bro and we just gradually got better over the years in the garage. I've also recently started watching some pros (Ma Long, Timo Boll) and try to emulate their technique to the best of my ability.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Yes it's true. I have no reason to lie 😂. I guess I started playing very young playing with my bro and we just gradually got better over the years in the garage. I've also recently started watching some pros (Ma Long, Timo Boll) and try to emulate their technique to the best of my ability.

Well, I have no reason to doubt you, so I have to say, I'm very (very impressed).

For someone who hasn't had coaching, your strokes are very natural and high quality.

Your FH looks sharp, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

How is your BH against backspin?

All of your backhands are quite punchy/countery (not a real word), which is very much all the fashion these days, but I do find that having a powerful backhand loop to go with your FH loop is a real killer!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

Well, I have no reason to doubt you, so I have to say, I'm very (very impressed).

For someone who hasn't had coaching, your strokes are very natural and high quality.

Your FH looks sharp, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

How is your BH against backspin?

All of your backhands are quite punchy/countery (not a real word), which is very much all the fashion these days, but I do find that having a powerful backhand loop to go with your FH loop is a real killer!

Thanks I really appreciate that. Also makes me kinda sad because I regret not taking it seriously/getting coaching from a young age (I am considered an old man in this sport 😂).

My BH against backspin is probably my weakest element ( which I probably do need coaching for!).

NDH

says Spin to win!

Thanks I really appreciate that. Also makes me kinda sad because I regret not taking it seriously/getting coaching from a young age (I am considered an old man in this sport 😂).

My BH against backspin is probably my weakest element ( which I probably do need coaching for!).

I don't think you do - If you've managed to get to this stage with nothing, I really don't think you need coaching to improve (you've clearly shown that you can learn independently!)

The biggest challenge is having someone chop to you consistently - Although they could just "multi ball" and give you long pushes.

Are there any local leagues you can join?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021

I don't think you do - If you've managed to get to this stage with nothing, I really don't think you need coaching to improve (you've clearly shown that you can learn independently!)

The biggest challenge is having someone chop to you consistently - Although they could just "multi ball" and give you long pushes.

Are there any local leagues you can join?

Yes there are local leagues in my area. I was meant to join a couple years ago but then covid happened and my country pretty much stopped community sports for a while. I also got pretty unfit in that time and that didn't help things. I definitely want to join though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2021

Tall TT players unite!! 😁

Great video!

You want to try and get your weight and arm coming forward through the ball at the point of contact.

Other than that, you've highlighted the other 2 things I would have mentioned already!

It looks like you are playing at 60-70% against your opponent - How do you feel those shots translate in matches at 100%?

Thanks for the feedback.

I think they translate ok but there are some issues. Because I'm hitting these to guys that aren't the strongest blockers, it's helped me learn spin and control over pace. So in a game when I'm out of position my default is normally a 60 - 70% stroke which most of the time lands.

In saying that it's likely why in games when I need to put away a point my consistency drops because I'm going for 100% and haven't practiced hitting the ball like that nearly as much. This discussions has been a bit of a lightbulb moment.

Probably need to get onto a ball machine and focus on unleashing some high pace shots with consistency. (also leaning forward more) ;)