DHS W968 review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

FZD and LGY are sponsored by BTY and will get a shitload of money and their equipment they are getting from BTY for years.
THey wont swap until their contract runs out and even then they probably wont.

But can't they just use a BTY handle, and secretly use 968?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Hey Dingy

Interesting BH rubber references - my other three rubbers to try on BH on this blade are;

05FX - a favourite of mine and one I want to try next (was too mushy feeling on HL5)
8-80 (37) another great BH rubber for when I want a bit more hardness / spin / control
T80 - not yet tried but felt it could be a good fit on this blade

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these having used them.

I think both are a little too soft for me. The HL5 is a soft feeling blade with a lot of flex, so at least my preference is to pair it with harder rubbers.

Specifically, the T05FX played super well with the Viscaria. I felt that with a little flick I can make the ball go anywhere I want with good pace. So that was the first rubber I tried on the BH and it just didn't feel good. When I try to do quick counters mostly borrowing my opponent's speed/spin, it doesn't feel very crisp, I didn't feel like I was in control of the shot. When I use more power it feels like I'm slapping the ball with a ribbon.

The H8-80 37 degrees was better. It was my first time using that rubber and it was surprisingly light and soft for a DHS rubber. It felt way softer than my 37 degree H3. It didn't feel as mushy as the T05FX, but it just felt a bit too slow. Even when I put more power into it it still felt slow. It wasn't like the D05 or the D09C which aren't super quick either with lower power strokes but can really pick up some speed with a harder swing. I think it's a good control rubber for the BH side, so may fit certain styles.

BTW, I tried the T05 after the T05FX. I really liked the T05FX on the Viscaria and I used the T05 on a TB ALC for a couple years so I really wanted to give the T05 family another try. I thought the harder sponge of the T05 would take care of the T05FX's problem, but it really didn't. I still felt a lack of control except it's now going to the wrong place faster.

The rubber I felt the best on the BH side, even better than the D05, was actually the D09C. When I twiddle I really loved how it felt, I just don't have a red sheet but I have 2 sheets of the D05 so I went with the best available. I've never tried the K3, but I've read that it's somewhat comparable to the D09C. Since you liked the K3 on your FH side, have you tried it on your BH?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
It seems there is a trend on the CNT to move to the new w968. Why are LGY and FZD still holding out?

FZD just switched from Stiga to Butterfly about a year ago (officially). FZD has played Golden Vis for a few years with great results.

You can tell he's still adjusting to FZD ALC (much softer than Golden Vis) - more FH, more side stepping, a little further away from table etc. FZD isn't as brutal as before, but he plays with more variations, and smarter.

It's probably too soon to switch again after just a year with FZD ALC. Who knows if he will switch after another year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

FZD just switched from Stiga to Butterfly about a year ago (officially). FZD has played Golden Vis for a few years with great results.

You can tell he's still adjusting to FZD ALC (much softer than Golden Vis) - more FH, more side stepping, a little further away from table etc. FZD isn't as brutal as before, but he plays with more variations, and smarter.

It's probably too soon to switch again after just a year with FZD ALC. Who knows if he will switch after another year.

I've always thought that FZD's game would suits the 968 style. He has that massive forehand loop. And even his backhand isn't really the pure punchy-flat style BH, but is more of a looping spinny backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I've always thought that FZD's game would suits the 968 style. He has that massive forehand loop. And even his backhand isn't really the pure punchy-flat style BH, but is more of a looping spinny backhand.

He may not like the W968's weaker BH flick game though. He seems to like being the aggressor for every point, so that may impact his style quite a bit.

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
I wish to add my input for posterity. I own a DHS LongV FL shakehand.

To me, and I don't know why, this blade makes you want to play FH looping. It could be the handle its ergonomics perhaps. I don't know the exact science.

I suppose if you are a FH dominant looper, this is the blade for you.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I tried a clubmate's W968 Letters / Provincial a month or so ago and it felt so good, great feel and crisp at the same time, even with Dignics 05 which I typically don't like (feels like a brick to me), and the handle was very comfortable.

It felt very different than the HL5 I had which I didn't like since it felt too mushy and the handle way too thin.

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I tried a clubmate's W968 Letters / Provincial a month or so ago and it felt so good, great feel and crisp at the same time, even with Dignics 05 which I typically don't like (feels like a brick to me), and the handle was very comfortable.

It felt very different than the HL5 I had which I didn't like since it felt too mushy and the handle way too thin.
Now i'm jealous! I wish there was a low-cost clone of the 968

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I'm gonna have to swallow the pill and put a W968 Provincial or National on my credit card soon lol.

I've been wanting one for a while.

Make sure you get the 2nd generation version and not the 1st gen.

When you buy, how do you know if its 1st gen or 2nd gen?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

The D05 felt like a brick to me on just about all other blades, but it felt great on the HL5. Which rubbers did you try the HL5 on? I think I bought the HL5 you didn't like lol. I'm using a different HL5 right now, the one you sold me looked too pristine for me to sand it down to the head size I like 😄

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

It's faster by a lot, and less flexy. FB2 vibrates a lot and it's a bit annoying too. It vibrates kinda long after impact and it's bothering.
They have some resemblance in play so for someone who wants a cheap clone or slower blade it's totally doable.

Yeah, he's really good. He's getting back impossible balls with great quality. I can't say I love his attitude (lol, sorry?) but I think he's the only player consistently beating Ma Long for a few years now and it was a crime that he wasn't even in top10 until just recently.

I am not a huge female TT watcher, but I really like watching Wang Yidi's game. She's so stable and scary.
What would be the closest cheap clone for the 2nd Gen 968 in your opinion?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

I think both are a little too soft for me. The HL5 is a soft feeling blade with a lot of flex, so at least my preference is to pair it with harder rubbers.

Specifically, the T05FX played super well with the Viscaria. I felt that with a little flick I can make the ball go anywhere I want with good pace. So that was the first rubber I tried on the BH and it just didn't feel good. When I try to do quick counters mostly borrowing my opponent's speed/spin, it doesn't feel very crisp, I didn't feel like I was in control of the shot. When I use more power it feels like I'm slapping the ball with a ribbon.

The H8-80 37 degrees was better. It was my first time using that rubber and it was surprisingly light and soft for a DHS rubber. It felt way softer than my 37 degree H3. It didn't feel as mushy as the T05FX, but it just felt a bit too slow. Even when I put more power into it it still felt slow. It wasn't like the D05 or the D09C which aren't super quick either with lower power strokes but can really pick up some speed with a harder swing. I think it's a good control rubber for the BH side, so may fit certain styles.

BTW, I tried the T05 after the T05FX. I really liked the T05FX on the Viscaria and I used the T05 on a TB ALC for a couple years so I really wanted to give the T05 family another try. I thought the harder sponge of the T05 would take care of the T05FX's problem, but it really didn't. I still felt a lack of control except it's now going to the wrong place faster.

The rubber I felt the best on the BH side, even better than the D05, was actually the D09C. When I twiddle I really loved how it felt, I just don't have a red sheet but I have 2 sheets of the D05 so I went with the best available. I've never tried the K3, but I've read that it's somewhat comparable to the D09C. Since you liked the K3 on your FH side, have you tried it on your BH?

Thanks very much for the insight - I will follow the path of 05FX / 80 and then onto harder. I have some D05 and a sheet of 09c but could well trY K3 on both sides if harder works.

ill let you know!

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Now i'm jealous! I wish there was a low-cost clone of the 968

Isn't the Donic Original No 1 Senso supposed to be a W968 clone? It's not a cheap blade, but it is considerably more affordable than the W968. I don't know how close it comes to the real thing in terms of playing characteristic and feel. Maybe some others who've tried it might comment.

This user has no status.
Isn't the Donic Original No 1 Senso supposed to be a W968 clone? It's not a cheap blade, but it is considerably more affordable than the W968. I don't know how close it comes to the real thing in terms of playing characteristic and feel. Maybe some others who've tried it might comment.

Well here i can get it for half the price. And if recall correctly it should have the same composition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

I can't confirm not deny but based on the price I would assume the No1 Senso is a HL5 and the No1 is a FB2 with a different handle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
What's the thickness, 5,8mm? Vodak Horejsi ALC is 5,8mm, same composition, cca 1290Hz. I thought the increase in stiffness is due to being thicker, so I thought W968 will be 6mm. But when I saw Wrighty67's photo in another thread (HL5, HL5x, W968) it may not be the case.