Basic advice on knowing spin from long pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
BTW even when people say to never serve sidespin to pips - I get it, but trust me, if you practice, it isn't as crazy as they make out, as long as you take it as part of the adaptation process. You might miss a few, which you might not want to do in competition, but I learned a lot doing it about the power of adaptation, because sometimes, those serves can be the ones your opponent struggles with.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
BTW even when people say to never serve sidespin to pips - I get it, but trust me, if you practice, it isn't as crazy as they make out, as long as you take it as part of the adaptation process. You might miss a few, which you might not want to do in competition, but I learned a lot doing it about the power of adaptation, because sometimes, those serves can be the ones your opponent struggles with.

There is a LARGE crowd that does not advocate to serve with heavy underspin to a long pips player, lest it get punched into topspin.

I laugh like woody woodpecker on that one to disagree. Modern LPs have friction and the player still has to read the spin. Sure, more forgiving to get it on the table, but depth and height control still take accurate reading of the serve and the corresponding touch to return short or deep or punch or whatever.

Once you get LP player to KNOW your underspin motion is HEAVY and must be dealt with, your LIGHT and No SPIN serves become a boss of attacking setup.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
......If you learn to topspin a variety of balls with various spins, then you get a good idea of how to adapt your stroke to various balls. But just as importantly, you learn how to use your misses to calibrate how you should adapt. It is this second part that most players who have never seriously practiced against pips miss. Their stroke range is very narrow because they have played inverted all the time. Pips expand that range. Looping pips chopblocks twice/thrice in a row often take their strokes to places they never thought possible.

As long as you continue to adapt back and forth between pips and topspin, usually, the overall impact on your stroke gets better. Playing one or the other exclusively isn't as valuable as continually forcing yourself to adapt.
The whole post was worth reading and rereading. But, the quoted text and the highlighted sentence are gold that should be honed in on and understood.

• Love
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

[size=+1]Yes, you are free to use LP as long as they sucseeding to pass friction test. Yinhe is able to maintain fair play with their "testing slide", affordable device for all clubs. [/size]

Thats interesting - I take it anything in the red is a fail? Be interesting to see how the most common pips perform on that