DHS W968 review

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016

I'm hoping within the next 2 weeks! I'll let you know once I've received it.

I was also talking to a couple DHS distributors in China, they all more or less list the same price for W968 Prov and Nat, but ProTT was easiest because he has a website which takes PayPal pay in 4 lol, makes it a bit easier to justify the price tag.

Do you have a link to which prott has the 2022 version? I only see 2019?

Sent from my T780H using Tapatalk

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Hi, he hasn't updates his photos but it's this: https://prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=OFFICIALW968

I would talk to him first though and see was he has in stock.

# likely in the 20's or 30's.

I'm sure he has 2022 Provincial ones has well but again, I would ask first: https://prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=2020W968L

Best,

Well, I gave in to temptation and ordered one. He showed me a picture of 3 of them, I requested the 90.5gm one which he said he had in stock. The other two were like 87 and 88 grams. I'm playing with a 94 gram one (was 96, but I shaved it down 2mm to 158mm so it's 94 now) with fairly thick grip tape, so I wanted one most similar to that weight. It looks like most of the W968s nation or provincial are right around 90 grams and 6mm so this one is also the closest to that, so I was hopeful that this would be most similar to what most reviewers are playing with.

After I ordered it now says it's out of stock, which I think makes sense. You probably picked up one of the 3 shown, someone else ordered another one, so when I ordered it said only 1 is in stock.

I chose the national as opposed to the provincial mainly for 2 reasons. One, like you I just wanted the "W968" engraved on it 😄 Two, if the W968 is anything like the commercial one, it's really not suitable for most players. I rarely see players at the club loop hard enough to actually access any of its power, so I think eventually most people who buy a provincial one will sell it because eventually they'll pick up a Viscaria or something and go "wow, I play so much better with this". People who shell out the money for the national one though, may be more like you and keep it as a collector's item even if they don't use it.

I don't think I'll actually play any better with the national version, maybe even worse than with the commercial one, but Ma Long is my boy and I'm getting his blade! 😁 I've been playing with the HL5 the past 3 weeks. Last week I won the 3rd group in my local league (I was a bit underrated due to coming back from TT after a long break) and moved into the 2nd group. This week I won the 2nd group and I'm gonna move up to the top group next week! I beat a guy 3-0 whom I lost to 0-3 just a couple months ago. This blade suits my game extremely well. I use the service and receive game to get a long return and then I use my quick feet to get into position and FH loop drive with full power. The soft touch, power, and dwell work really well for that type of game.

On the BH side I can't generate my own power nearly as much and need to borrow an opponent's power. I'm hoping that with more practice and the W968 that can be improved as well! The only issue is that my D09C is pretty worn out, it's got 100+ hours on it and on more brushing shots it's starting to slip a bit. Luckily my game is more with drives and it does fine when engaging the sponge, but still, it's really reaching the end of its life. I want to change it but I don't want to cut a new sheet to an old blade, so I guess I'll just have to play with the old sheet for a while longer.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

Well, I gave in to temptation and ordered one. He showed me a picture of 3 of them, I requested the 90.5gm one which he said he had in stock. The other two were like 87 and 88 grams. I'm playing with a 94 gram one (was 96, but I shaved it down 2mm to 158mm so it's 94 now) with fairly thick grip tape, so I wanted one most similar to that weight. It looks like most of the W968s nation or provincial are right around 90 grams and 6mm so this one is also the closest to that, so I was hopeful that this would be most similar to what most reviewers are playing with.

After I ordered it now says it's out of stock, which I think makes sense. You probably picked up one of the 3 shown, someone else ordered another one, so when I ordered it said only 1 is in stock.

I chose the national as opposed to the provincial mainly for 2 reasons. One, like you I just wanted the "W968" engraved on it 😄 Two, if the W968 is anything like the commercial one, it's really not suitable for most players. I rarely see players at the club loop hard enough to actually access any of its power, so I think eventually most people who buy a provincial one will sell it because eventually they'll pick up a Viscaria or something and go "wow, I play so much better with this". People who shell out the money for the national one though, may be more like you and keep it as a collector's item even if they don't use it.

I don't think I'll actually play any better with the national version, maybe even worse than with the commercial one, but Ma Long is my boy and I'm getting his blade! 😁 I've been playing with the HL5 the past 3 weeks. Last week I won the 3rd group in my local league (I was a bit underrated due to coming back from TT after a long break) and moved into the 2nd group. This week I won the 2nd group and I'm gonna move up to the top group next week! I beat a guy 3-0 whom I lost to 0-3 just a couple months ago. This blade suits my game extremely well. I use the service and receive game to get a long return and then I use my quick feet to get into position and FH loop drive with full power. The soft touch, power, and dwell work really well for that type of game.

On the BH side I can't generate my own power nearly as much and need to borrow an opponent's power. I'm hoping that with more practice and the W968 that can be improved as well! The only issue is that my D09C is pretty worn out, it's got 100+ hours on it and on more brushing shots it's starting to slip a bit. Luckily my game is more with drives and it does fine when engaging the sponge, but still, it's really reaching the end of its life. I want to change it but I don't want to cut a new sheet to an old blade, so I guess I'll just have to play with the old sheet for a while longer.

Look forward to hearing your findings. I'm curious if you find that the new 968 is actually faster than the HL5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Look forward to hearing your findings. I'm curious if you find that the new 968 is actually faster than the HL5.

I'm pretty curious as well. I think I'll be a better judge than most, since I'll have used the HL5 as my primary blade for 2-3 months (shipping is estimated to be 40-60 days 😑 and there's the lunar new year coming up) and I'll be using the same exact rubbers as I have brand new sheets of D09C and D05 waiting for the new blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

Actually not many CNT members use blades with ZLC. I can only name one, Chen Xingtong uses a LGY ZLC blade.
And I have to think really hard to name another one, maybe in the past the GOAT Zhang Yining used an innerforce ZLC.I would even go as far as to say they have a similar playstyle.

Having said all that I think Mizutani ZLC blades are quite popular in China.

Wasn't there a period a few years ago when all players had to use Chinese equipment? There was some paranoia that CNT is being s@botaged or what. While this is hilarious, I don't know how easy it is for non sponsored players to get top grade BTY or other branded blades. DHS is not that hard.

Ps: I can't believe the word s@botaged is not permitted on this forum.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
In Chinese forum, they talked about the flexibility and top gear of ALC vs ZLC. ALC works well with CNT as most use boosted H3. H3 is designed for power looping. Power looping requires some flexibility of a blade.

Hence ZLC is just too hard for Chinese looping style.

Apparently ALC differs significantly between DHS and Butterfly. I can’t remember the details. They said that’s why Butterfly innerforce ALC plays very differently from HL5

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
In Chinese forum, they talked about the flexibility and top gear of ALC vs ZLC. ALC works well with CNT as most use boosted H3. H3 is designed for power looping. Power looping requires some flexibility of a blade.

Hence ZLC is just too hard for Chinese looping style.

Apparently ALC differs significantly between DHS and Butterfly. I can’t remember the details. They said that’s why Butterfly innerforce ALC plays very differently from HL5
How about a 968 structure blade with super alc?

That would help to keep the flex while adding speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
How about a 968 structure blade with super alc?

That would help to keep the flex while adding speed.

This is just guessing, Super ALC with thinner blade might work better in some cases and might be worse in others. SALC is harder than ALC.

We can guess if CNF would be better or the carbon - acryl - zylon triple weave that now DHS is also experimenting with.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Actually not many CNT members use blades with ZLC. I can only name one, Chen Xingtong uses a LGY ZLC blade.
And I have to think really hard to name another one, maybe in the past the GOAT Zhang Yining used an innerforce ZLC.I would even go as far as to say they have a similar playstyle.

Having said all that I think Mizutani ZLC blades are quite popular in China.

Wasn't there a period a few years ago when all players had to use Chinese equipment? There was some paranoia that CNT is being s@botaged or what. While this is hilarious, I don't know how easy it is for non sponsored players to get top grade BTY or other branded blades. DHS is not that hard.

Ps: I can't believe the word s@botaged is not permitted on this forum.

Yin Hang says that all non-sponsored players get their Butterfly products, blade or rubber, from the regular market.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

The W968 is definitely faster than the HL5, the 2 are very different in this aspect as well as the HL5 feeling somewhat hollow and a bit dead even more so than an IF ALC, while the W968's feel crisp with an excellent touch. I haven't received mine yet but having tried several W968 Prov and Nat, the difference is very obvious right away like other W968 users have pointed out on this thread. The Nat and Prov are not that different from one another on the other end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrighty67
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

I'm pretty curious as well. I think I'll be a better judge than most, since I'll have used the HL5 as my primary blade for 2-3 months (shipping is estimated to be 40-60 days 😑 and there's the lunar new year coming up) and I'll be using the same exact rubbers as I have brand new sheets of D09C and D05 waiting for the new blade.

I've used the IF ALC for a year in the past and 5-ply all-wood blades for years as well, the HL5 is quite slow in my opinion, almost ALL+, whereas the W968 is a definite OFF- with some OFF gears as well.

Reactions: Wrighty67
says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
I still don't really get why a faster 968 is preferred over a inner-ZLC blade. If CNT wants 968 to be faster, why don't they try the Harimoto S-ZLC or something?

An Inner ZLC doesn't have as much touch and feels more dead and mechanic, while the W968 feels more organic and offers more touch, gears and options.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016
Anybody know what DHS did to the 2nd generation 968 to make it faster?

I don't know that the 2nd gen is necessarily faster, just a smaller head-size which makes it less still and more flexible, and allows for more racket speed. The core of W968 is thicker already, did they make it even thicker on the 2nd gen, I don't know, probably not.

says MIA
says MIA
Nov 2016

This is just guessing, Super ALC with thinner blade might work better in some cases and might be worse in others. SALC is harder than ALC.

We can guess if CNF would be better or the carbon - acryl - zylon triple weave that now DHS is also experimenting with.

Yes, the feel of SALC is not as nice as that of ALC. I haven't seen too many pros adopting SALC, including Japanese players.

I think it's important to take into account and not dismiss that most pros use blades that are thin and not that fast (for them) if you compare their blades to what else is being sold (ZLC, SZLC, Tamca outer).