Which Hurricane 3 should I choose?

This user has no status.
Same as OP I found a limit with T05 for FH in 1.9mm on ALC.

In peak physical and mental condition I use T05H 2.1, though as I don’t practice as much I am content using C53 Max+ as for me (key point) it is more forgiving and like T05H the power can be fed through all the way to my upper gear without instability. If I miss I know it is entirely the fault of my own (I feel this is what OP is trying to convey when power looping and T05 fails due to being slightly too soft now for his clean and or improving technique).

In case you decide to stay with T05 on Vis structure you can test it with the noticeably harder and faster Timo Boll ALC.

Though make sure the weight is the same or heavier than what you use currently.

And to save you time and $, from my experience boosting T05 or going to softer variant like ZJK/LGY/FZD ALC won’t solve your T05 FH problem.
I find just buying H3 and boosting that is a simpler way.

Reactions: JJ Ng and JeffM
This user has no status.
756FAD48-46D0-42D8-960B-4A6CEC2FF463.jpeg

After only 1 layer of haifu seamoon 😮

Reactions: JJ Ng and JeffM
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Yes it was. Maybe that layer is enough.
I saw the photo. Yes you must have applied a thick thick layer! For my H3 neo commerical to expand like that, I have to put on 2 or maybe 3 layers of Falco Tempo Long Booster. When I boost, I am never in a hurry so I let the rubber sit for about 24 hours before applying another layer.

Why I resurrected this thread is, there is an answer!

TT11 just did a video on the various H3 version. I think the decisions were split. Half said no differences really among all four rubbers. Half of them say provincial bluesponge is the best.

Honestly, I have only used H3 neo commerical. I have bought at least 18-20 of them from TT11 over the years. I have never been disappointed (after boosting) and quality control seems to be good.

Now I have moved on to playing with Sanwei Target National on my forehand. I have noticed it is BLUE SPONGE. I don't need to boost it at all and I am quite happy with it.

Some older orange sponge H3 neo have made it to my older blades. The top sheet seems to be a bit beaten up but it is still very tacky. Interestingly, the sponge gets softer with age and regluing and it actually plays quite nice as it ages.

As for the original poster, I have played with Tenergy 05 fx and 64 fx. I know exactly that he means that there is a top limit to the amount of spin you can generate. Yes with good technique, you can generate more spin with H3 and STN than Tenergy. I don't see there is really an arguement there.

As for speed, Tenergy appears to be faster but if you equate spin as part of the power or the "kick" to the ball so your opponent will hit the ball off the end of the table, then there is an argument if H3 or STN will generate more power or kick than T05 in the hands of the right player.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Some older orange sponge H3 neo have made it to my older blades. The top sheet seems to be a bit beaten up but it is still very tacky. Interestingly, the sponge gets softer with age and regluing and it actually plays quite nice as it ages.
My experience is exactly the same. Some of my older H3s (especially the black ones) are so beaten up that I sometimes feel just a little bit embarrassed to unpack them at the club but what the heck, they are still tacky and soft and plenty good for a nice "PingPong session" 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
My experience is exactly the same. Some of my older H3s (especially the black ones) are so beaten up that I sometimes feel just a little bit embarrassed to unpack them at the club but what the heck, they are still tacky and soft and plenty good for a nice "PingPong session" 😁
Lol, yes I like my old H3 neo's. Yes the top sheet just looks like patches of stuff here and there and a couple scratches here and there. It looks like someone really beat it up. Thankfully most of those sheets are black so I hope no one else can see how messed up the top sheet looks like. Haha...

But the softer sponge feels so good on these older H3 neo's. Some springy feeling but yet so much control.

So as I migrate them onto my other blades, I am starting to figure out what blades I like. It seems that I do very well with 5-ply wood OFF - blades along with inner core soft carbon blades (such as Fortino Performance. I am waiting to put them on my Ma Lin carbon and I am pretty sure I will like the set up). By contrast, both Viscaria and Acoustic carbon give me "no feeling." Sure I hit the ball pretty hard and they made some pretty "clicking" sounds when I play with those two blades. And I paid good money for those blades. I want to like them! However, I need to be honest with myself and go back to the 5-ply wood blade again for the sake of my game performance.

My current set up is brand new Sanwei Target National on the forehand and a two-year old beat up G-1 on the backhand, on a 5-year old Tibhar Stratus Power Wood. Obviously I did not design it that way. Trying this STN was really spur of the moment and once I fell in love with it, I am too lazy to swap out the G-1 on the backhand side. Really after two years, that G-1 rubber still plays really well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
I’ve been playing with Tenergy 05 on both sides. And I like them, they have plenty of speed and spin. But on the forehand it’s sometimes difficult to put on your own power and spin, and very hard to hit trough spin. I have a very good and smooth technique and I have good footwork and strength. I’ve played with Hurricane in the past, but it was too slow back then when I was younger, and didn’t have such abilities as now. I was looking at Hurricane 3 blue sponge and it was quite interesting to read reviews about it, because there were negative and positive reviews about it. I am planning to boost the hurricane 3. So if you have any opinions about this, please leave a comment and I’ll answer as quick as possible. Thanks! :)
forget about technique. the secret is the boosting!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Thankfully most of those sheets are black so I hope no one else can see how messed up the top sheet looks like. Haha...
Do you think that the black rubbers are somehow weaker or do they end up looking like crap because we use them on the FH ?

both Viscaria and Acoustic carbon give me "no feeling." Sure I hit the ball pretty hard and they made some pretty "clicking" sounds when I play with those two blades. And I paid good money for those blades. I want to like them
I have the similar problem with my beautiful SDC blade it just does not want to sing for me 😭

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Do you think that the black rubbers are somehow weaker or do they end up looking like crap because we use them on the FH ?

I have the similar problem with my beautiful SDC blade it just does not want to sing for me 😭
Good point. I have no idea. Most of my H3 neo is black because black is more spinny than red. I have bought some red H3 neo here and there. Let me go check and see if they are just as beat up as the black ones!

I just tested Donic Waldner Senso Carbon with H3 skyline neo on the forehand and Rakza X on the backhand side. I was thinking yeah, I can use it later on. And Donic Waldner Senso Carbon is a cheap carbon blade. But still I am going back to wood tomorrow again.

The expensive fast carbon blades just don't sing for me either. Oh well...they can collect dust while I try to see if my kids will like table tennis and take over those blades one day!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
From my limited experience (a half dozen sheets), I preferred H3 provincial over commercial. This was especially true for the blue sponge, but also for orange. They seemed livelier before boosting, and both responded better to Haifu. You're already familiar with playing characteristics, so probably realize that in some ways H3 is the polar opposite of T05. Switching from one to the other seems less like equipment optimization to me, and more like choosing a different playing style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
From my limited experience (a half dozen sheets), I preferred H3 provincial over commercial. This was especially true for the blue sponge, but also for orange. They seemed livelier before boosting, and both responded better to Haifu. You're already familiar with playing characteristics, so probably realize that in some ways H3 is the polar opposite of T05. Switching from one to the other seems less like equipment optimization to me, and more like choosing a different playing style.
H3 blue sponge doesn't come in commericial.
so you won't be able to compare provincial and commericial blue sponge. I think you were referring to the orange sponge?

Blue sponge reacts to booster better than Orange. Blue sponge is basically designed to be boosted. Unboosted, blue sponge is more livlier than orange sponge.

Commercial h3 orange is good enough for many (with booster). Provincial version quality is more stable.
Blue sponge is just for more advance players

Reactions: JeffM and JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
so you won't be able to compare provincial and commericial blue sponge. I think you were referring to the orange sponge?

Blue sponge reacts to booster better than Orange. Blue sponge is basically designed to be boosted. Unboosted, blue sponge is more livlier than orange sponge.

Commercial h3 orange is good enough for many (with booster). Provincial version quality is more stable.
Yes, comparing orange sponge commercial to both blue and orange sponge provincial.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023

I have always used orange commercial, boosted for H3 neo.

I recently switched to Sanwei Target National, blue sponge (it only comes with blue sponge when I order it from the retailer). I have two blacks and one red. I used them and I have only one black sheet left.

Maybe when I install that black sheet, I will boost the blue sponge? I think one of the selling point for STN is that the sponge does not require boosting. And I have been pretty happy with those two sheets installed without boosting so far.

I will think about it more next time before I install that last sheet.....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have always used orange commercial, boosted for H3 neo.

I recently switched to Sanwei Target National, blue sponge (it only comes with blue sponge when I order it from the retailer). I have two blacks and one red. I used them and I have only one black sheet left.

Maybe when I install that black sheet, I will boost the blue sponge? I think one of the selling point for STN is that the sponge does not require boosting. And I have been pretty happy with those two sheets installed without boosting so far.

I will think about it more next time before I install that last sheet.....
I have never used Sanwei Target National before, so I can't really comment on it.

many brands do copy "blue sponge" from DHS.
at first, it does look cool (I remember using Yinhe Moon Spend and Yinhe Big Dipper samples many years ago), but every using it, the feel is just still different.

I sometimes wonder, how can DHS blue sponge and Butterfly spring sponge be so unique, that so many companies are trying to clone, and still can't get it right.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews

Heavy use on FH side ;) Had a brief episode with a red 39° Neo on my FH last year because I couldn't get a red H8-80 for my backhand. Not for me... It felt like the red H3 didn't grip the ball as well as the black ones (even old, used black ones) and were less "crisp". Nonetheless, I'm using red H3 37° on my BH for now because 1) I don't need that extra speed from the H8-80 on lower power shots and more importantly 2) the H8-80 37° are more inconsistent in terms of cut weight and sponge hardness than even the commercial H3 37°.
But as a good EJ I'm still trying out different rubbers on BH ;) 729 Dragon-F does quite well (don't get the softer one and especially don't boost that softer one -> way too soft), maybe some Young Shine or Loki rubbers next and maybe I will get back to H3 as well as I always do on FH ;)

So as I migrate them onto my other blades, I am starting to figure out what blades I like. It seems that I do very well with 5-ply wood OFF - blades along with inner core soft carbon blades (such as Fortino Performance...

Blades and H3... For me it's either thicker, 5-ply (koto, limba, walnut, whatever), spruce, ayous or 5+2 Viscaria-style outer blades. I like that extra kick from spruce and outer carbon blades. I don't like 5-ply Korbel-style blades with limba as a second ply but hinoki blades with limba as a second ply (e.g. Cornilleau Hinotec) do work well when I use harder than usual H3s. Just personal preference and playing style I would say. Looking at the pros I don't even see such a clear correlation between playing style and blade choice: Some women from Korea, Japan or China are using W968 for a closer to the table style, some use Viscaria-style blades, some men use W968 or clones, FZD and LGY are using Viscaria-style blades 1) I don't know.

1) I still would like to know what blade LGY used in Bangkok

Reactions: JJ Ng