How to remove the glue from the rubber's sponge?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Most good ammonia diluted latex based glues will form a thin stretchy layer on the sponge you can peel off with your finger, It may stretch and break after a bit of pulling but you just find the edge and try again till it's all gone. Not the fastest way but it's safer. The fast way is to use a rubber cement eraser, which is a block of solid natural gum rubber, to rub the glue out, but you risk taking small divots out of the sponge unless is is very robust.

Reactions: jbvttcc and Tinykin
says Master blocker
says Master blocker
Mar 2015
Read 1 reviews
How can you remove the Butterfly Free Chack Glue stuck to Tenergy without damaging the sponge?
There are several ways.
1. You can use this gadget from tt11 -> Neottec Glue Remover Sponge | Cleaners | Accessories | Tabletennis11.com (TT11)
2. From an old rubber that you don't use any more, cut a small piece and rub it on the glue with the topsheet side. You have to be careful, because it removes the glue but if you are not gentle enough, it might damage the sponge.
3. The most effective and most expensive way: Simply apply 2-3 more glue layers on top of the old glue you want to remove. The glue film will become so very thick, that can be removed very easily.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I've tries all sorts of glues, I've yet to successfully remove any from Tenergies without any damage. I don't think it's Butterfly's plan for that to happen since removing glue from Dignics rubbers is very easy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

You can't, it's the Butterfly's deliberate planned obsolescence, every other brand make non damaging glues, go figure... Just DON'T BUY that f******g sh*t glue, plain simple.

Yes, don't buy Butterfly, Donic, Andro, Tibhar etc glues, they have the same style of bottle and the glue is the same shit in all of them.

You should buy Revolution No3 or DHS No15. If you stack 3-4 layers you can remove them in one go without damaging the sponge. This is also true for cake sponge like Tenergy.

Since now you are in a pickle what you can do is get a solvent and first spread it on the glue and let it get a bit dissolved. After that probably you can remove the glue without much damage to the sponge.
A great solvent would be a booster. Possibly other solvents could be used too like baby oil or something with VOC, but not sure what that will do to your rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
I've tries all sorts of glues, I've yet to successfully remove any from Tenergies without any damage. I don't think it's Butterfly's plan for that to happen since removing glue from Dignics rubbers is very easy.

Try to remove the Free Chack sh*t from a D09C and come back later... every other glue does not damage the BTY rubbers, some Stiga sponges like the DNA series are very porous too, the Free Chack kill them too, but it's fine with DHS N°15 or Nittaku FineZip.

A Japan/ESN sponge with that tensor/catapult effect has to be porous, so you'll get the same problem with Rasanters, Tibhar MX or FX series and so on.

The problem is that glue, they know it, but they won't change anything. It's deliberate then.

Reactions: mocker88
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

Try to remove the Free Chack sh*t from a D09C and come back later... every other glue does not damage the BTY rubbers, some Stiga sponges like the DNA series are very porous too, the Free Chack kill them too, but it's fine with DHS N°15 or Nittaku FineZip.

A Japan/ESN sponge with that tensor/catapult effect has to be porous, so you'll get the same problem with Rasanters, Tibhar MX or FX series and so on.

The problem is that glue, they know it, but they won't change anything. It's deliberate then.

That's interesting. I actually haven't tried the Free Chack since I heard bad things about this issue and I didn't want to damage my Tenergies. I'm using mainly Tear Mender these days and they come off of D05 and D09C pretty easily. The same couldn't be said about Tear Mender and the Tenergies. I thought I tried DHS #15 with Tenergies a long time ago, but I'll give it another try to see if it's more acceptable now.

Reactions: jbvttcc
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Yes, don't buy Butterfly, Donic, Andro, Tibhar etc glues, they have the same style of bottle and the glue is the same shit in all of them.

You should buy Revolution No3 or DHS No15. If you stack 3-4 layers you can remove them in one go without damaging the sponge. This is also true for cake sponge like Tenergy.

Since now you are in a pickle what you can do is get a solvent and first spread it on the glue and let it get a bit dissolved. After that probably you can remove the glue without much damage to the sponge.
A great solvent would be a booster. Possibly other solvents could be used too like baby oil or something with VOC, but not sure what that will do to your rubbers.

NOT GOOD ADVISE to use something with VOC.
Because I could so easily "wash " the glue off my blade using Mineral turpentine , I once used it on the sponge as well.
Have you ever seen a 3mm thick sponge ? 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Well paint thinner is a pretty good solvent, the benefit of something like that is it evaporates very quickly. It's about salvaging a situation.
Thick oils like booster etc etc evaporate slowly so they might influence the sponge for a longer time albeit with less speed glue effect lol

I haven't seen so thick sponge yet but sounds like fun.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Well paint thinner is a pretty good solvent, the benefit of something like that is it evaporates very quickly. It's about salvaging a situation.
Thick oils like booster etc etc evaporate slowly so they might influence the sponge for a longer time albeit with less speed glue effect lol

I haven't seen so thick sponge yet but sounds like fun.

Well, I have to eat some humble pie now.
I went out in my shed and found some epoxy thinners and tried it on a corner cut off from one of my rxton5 rubbers.
Result is that indeed the thinners evaporates quickly and after half a minute the 2 layers of revo3 were soften up to the extend
that i could simply rub it off with my thumb and very little pressure,

Make that 1 : : 0 to Zwilly-boy. 😁

Would I like to try this on a Tenergy ???????????????? Not likely. The Rxton5 sponge is even tenser than an H3 sponge , like cardboard really.
What the same procedure would do on the tensor sponge which has more holes than a swiss cheese, who knows.
If you send me a Tenergy rubber I will gladly try it out, I would have no other use for it anyway 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
what a shit is that BTY Free Chack glue!?!?! I ripped off the G-1 from FZD ALC and it is impossible to remove the glue from the sponge. wtf?!?!
I will used it only for denser sponge for Chinese and have to switch to DHS #15. I'll hope it will be better.
I took the small piece from old rubber and rubbed it off but it took ages and I cleaned ~1/4 of the sponge....
this is disaster!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Check this out!

IMG_4246.jpeg

It’s f**** nightmare!🤯

• Sad
Reactions: lodro
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
"Liquid skin" for making-up works is a natural tree latex available from any Hallowin shop. Large volume for small money.

Be happy, very happy, still more happy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
what a shit is that BTY Free Chack glue!?!?! I ripped off the G-1 from FZD ALC and it is impossible to remove the glue from the sponge. wtf?!?!
I will used it only for denser sponge for Chinese and have to switch to DHS #15. I'll hope it will be better.
I took the small piece from old rubber and rubbed it off but it took ages and I cleaned ~1/4 of the sponge....
this is disaster!!!
You're living up to your name😂

These German made glues are only ok if you glue your rubber once and you only remove them when they are worn. Still cross your finger for not damaging the wood.

I'm pretty sure every Chinese glue is better regardless of their price. DHS is very good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
@Zwill my FZD ALC survived, as it was made very well. The problem I had only with G-1 sponge. It was nightmare. But finished already and the sponge is maybe not ideal but not bad at all. can be used later.
Yep I've 500ml DHS #15 bottle sealed because would like to finish 90ml Free Chack but avoiding similar situation in the future for esn/jpn tensor rubber will use DHS glue and for Chinese denser sponge rubbers Bty to finish it, w/o giving it a try once again in the future :)
IMG_4247.jpeg

Reactions: Choosikick