WTT Contender Muscat 2023

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
It's easy to forget his stumbles, and his domestic results have been...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Well, Matsushima just beat one of Japan's top players on an international stage so there's that. He also took down Quadri this tournament and a number of other really good players in other senior WTT tournaments (Freitas, LSS, Cho Seungmin, and Dima) and has beaten a number of Chinese juniors such as highly touted Wen Ruibo. At 16 yrs. old, he's gonna have his ups and downs, but lots of upside.

Jan 2018
still not convinced about Sora. I think he lacks power. He's not the next Mizutani, rather the next Niwa
As yours truly projected (and feared), Sora-kun's current height is far from 170cm, but at 165cm, essentially the same as Miwa-chan.

Miwa 165cm, Miwa's brother 176cm, Shinozuka 165cm
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=91479&PID=1130563
https://www.butterfly.co.jp/catalog/2023ss/72/
https://tleague.jp/player/detail.php?player=30006&year=2023

Sora 165cm
https://tleague.jp/player/detail.php?player=10079&year=2023
https://tssystems.jp/athlete_sora-matsushima/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
I could be wrong, but it looked like he had a couple of inches on Miwa when I was watching their doubles match. Sometimes website data doesn't get updated for growing young men :).

Reactions: NextLevel
Jan 2018
A couple of centimeters at best. The news from 1/2023 say Sora stands at 168cm. Miwa is 166cm from news in 5/2023. For comparison, Hayata is 166 or 167cm, depending on different sources.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202301250000953.html
幼少期から注目されてきた有望株は身長が168センチにまで伸び「パワーだったり、普段(これまで)だったら届かない場所が届く。打ち合いになっても、打ち合える実力にはなってきたかなと思います」と成長を実感する。準決勝は吉山和希(愛知・愛工大名電高)と対戦。26日は一般の男子シングルス初戦(4回戦)、及川瑞基(木下グループ)と組む男子ダブルスも4回戦を控えており「全試合勝てたらいいかなと思います」と最高の1日にする。【松本航】
https://hochi.news/articles/20230125-OHT1T51152.html?page=1
 成長したのは技術だけではない。初めて決勝に進んだ小学6年時の身長は148センチ。小柄な体が目立ったが、毎食にサラダを取り入れるなど食生活から改善。中学3年間で20センチの急成長を見せ、握力も10キロほど増した。「守備範囲はもちろん、パワーだったり、届かない場所が届くようになった。打ち合える実力もついた」。シニアの選手にも負けないパワーとリーチを身に付け、この数か月間で五輪メダリストの吉村真晴や丹羽孝希にも勝利した。

https://www.sankei.com/article/20230515-4XP2QHWXXJIJLKXFGMTA2CCC5Q/
昨年末、14歳にして世界ユース選手権U-19(19歳以下)で木原美悠(木下グループ)に次ぐ準優勝を果たし、今年1月の全日本選手権では兄と同じ年齢でジュニアの部を初制覇-。166センチまで伸びた身長とともに、競技面でも急成長を続けるホープが、波乱含みの大会で躍動した。
https://number.bunshun.jp/premier/articles/16442
 このところの急成長ぶりが結果に表れた。張本は昨年12月に世界ユースU19女子シングルスで準優勝。今年3月にはシニア大会の「WTTスターコンテンダー・ゴア」に出場し、20歳の長崎美柚と組んで出た女子ダブルスで初優勝を飾ったほか、女子シングルスで4強入りを果たしている。身長は166cmまで成長。得意のバックハンドドライブの威力が増しており、伸び盛りの勢いを全農カップにぶつけた。

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
still not convinced about Sora. I think he lacks power. He's not the next Mizutani, rather the next Niwa
All things relative, Lin Gaoyuan lacks power too. In the end, the whole package is the key, and Sora competed favorably with Lebrun and Wen Ruibo. And Niwa, who made quite a couple of WTTC and Olympics quarterfinals, is still far ahead where a lot of Japanese have gotten to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I hope I'm wrong, but Hayata seems tired to me. I guess the thinking is there's just a few WTT tournaments left in the year, and she probably won't be entering Paris Trial #6 so she's got nothing to lose.
I think the goal is also to become the Japanese WTT ranked #1 and that while Lanzhou was an unfortunate setback, she should be able to replace her lowest results with better performances.

Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Well, Matsushima just beat one of Japan's top players on an international stage so there's that. He also took down Quadri this tournament and a number of other really good players in other senior WTT tournaments (Freitas, LSS, Cho Seungmin, and Dima) and has beaten a number of Chinese juniors such as highly touted Wen Ruibo. At 16 yrs. old, he's gonna have his ups and downs, but lots of upside.
do you have sora - ruibo clip please?

This user has no status.
All things relative, Lin Gaoyuan lacks power too. In the end, the whole package is the key, and Sora competed favorably with Lebrun and Wen Ruibo. And Niwa, who made quite a couple of WTTC and Olympics quarterfinals, is still far ahead where a lot of Japanese have gotten to.
well we will see. Japan was lucky to have Mizutani, then Harimoto. Sora is very good at his age, but i don't think he'll be as good as those 2, not even as good as Niwa. I'll be happy to be wrong on him.

And let’s not forget Sora is already 16.5 yo.
He’s won nothing. Not even Japan junior champion. At the same age Harimoto already beat Ma Long, Zhang Jike , Mizutani got into WTTC QF and got many prestigious titles.

I wish Sora the best but IMO Harimoto is much better than him and it will stay that way. I just hope Sora will prove better than Togami Shinozuka and co because Tomo is a bit alone in Men’s team

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Harimoto is dropping down the rankings at this rate, he was second, then third, now he's fourth, soon he may be fifth or sixth. He needs Hugo to not win this tournament, and he needs a mesmerizing performance at Frankfurt. 1065 points expiring at the end of the month, and more expiring in late November.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
well we will see. Japan was lucky to have Mizutani, then Harimoto. Sora is very good at his age, but i don't think he'll be as good as those 2, not even as good as Niwa. I'll be happy to be wrong on him.

He’s won nothing. Not even Japan junior champion. At the same age Harimoto already beat Ma Long, Zhang Jike , Mizutani got into WTTC QF and got many prestigious titles.

I wish Sora the best but IMO Harimoto is much better than him and it will stay that way. I just hope Sora will prove better than Togami Shinozuka and co because Tomo is a bit alone in Men’s team
Not having a national title is red flag for sure. But I am fairly confident that two years ago, Sora was the world U15 junior champion beating Felix Lebrun in the final. Though my memory could be wrong. They won doubles together as well I think.

Early international senior results are important. But I think Sora is getting there with his play in Rio and here. He is still young enough to show a lot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

It's funny you say "already 16.5 yo". Tomo kind of spoiled everyone by beating quite literally the best player in the world as a 14 year old. His achievements as a 14/15 yr. old is a once in a lifetime event. But it's still amazing to me for players like Shinozuka and Matsushima to beat solid pros while still in grade school.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Harimoto is dropping down the rankings at this rate, he was second, then third, now he's fourth, soon he may be fifth or sixth. He needs Hugo to not win this tournament, and he needs a mesmerizing performance at Frankfurt. 1065 points expiring at the end of the month, and more expiring in late November.
As long as he is one of the top 2 non-Chinese, it doesn't make a difference. He would need both LYJ/Felix and Hugo to overtake him to get a Chinese QF as a possibility. And even then, maybe he would welcome the challenge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's funny you say "already 16.5 yo". Tomo kind of spoiled everyone by beating quite literally the best player in the world as a 14 year old. His achievements as a 14/15 yr. old is a once in a lifetime event. But it's still amazing to me for players like Shinozuka and Matsushima to beat solid pros while still in grade school.
Jun Mizutani beat Wang Liqin (a slight bit over the hill) in 2010 when Mizutani was 21. Sora has a lot of time lol.