This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Yeah, I am not sure why Butterfly says it is faster and does not get as much spin. They did the same with 64.

64 is softest and most spin of the regular Tenergy series; 80 is not as soft as 64 but softer than 05, it has more spin and less speed than 05, it has less spin and a little more speed than 64; 05 is harder than 80 but softer than 25, has more speed and less spin than 80, has more spin and less speed than 25; 25 is the hardest, it is the fastest of the Tenergy series, it has the least spin of the Tenergy series.

All that being said, they all spin the ball pretty darn well, and they are all more than fast enough. 05FX and 64FX are also more than fast enough for many. :)

All are good rubbers. Which one is best for you? It depends on what you like, and how you play. Softer = more spin and more easy to control. Harder = faster and less spin and not as easy to control.

Something is very wrong here - I also tested the rubbers and Butterfly is right: 64 is hardest and 64>80>05 (hardness) and 05>80>64 (spin). There are a lot of people getting wrong impression because (I found few reasons):
1. They test the rubbers on different blades. The rubbers should be compared only when glued on the same blade.
2. They test tuned/speed glue rubber vs normal rubber (i.e. using different glue influence the speed/spin).
3. They test rubbers received from different TT shops in the world (e.g. in China the Tenergy is slightly different).

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Something is very wrong here - I also tested the rubbers and Butterfly is right: 64 is hardest and 64>80>05 (hardness) and 05>80>64 (spin). There are a lot of people getting wrong impression because (I found few reasons):
1. They test the rubbers on different blades. The rubbers should be compared only when glued on the same blade.
2. They test tuned/speed glue rubber vs normal rubber (i.e. using different glue influence the speed/spin).
3. They test rubbers received from different TT shops in the world (e.g. in China the Tenergy is slightly different).

Look, this is simple. Tenergy 64, 80, 05 and 25

1) all have the same exact sponge.
2) all have the same topsheet, except the pips.
****3) all have different pips configurations.

64, 80 and 05 all have the same size pips.

On 64 the pips are furthest apart.

On 05 they are closest together.

On 80 they are almost half way in between 64 and 05.

Tenergy 25 has pips that are considerably larger than the other 3. Therefore the pips on 25 give the least and it has the hardest feel.

Tenergy 05 has the hardest feel of the other three (which have the same sized pips), because there is less space between the pips.

Tenergy 64 has the softest feel of the regular Tenergys because there is more space between the pips than there is on 80 or 05.

Because the pips on 80 are spaced farther apart than on 05 but not as far apart as on 64 it is almost half way in between 64 and 05 in terms of how it feels.

That is just how Tenergy is designed.

This user has no status.

I have tested 64 and 05 on the same blade, bought from the same shop, and untuned. 05 is clearly the harder of the two.

Will try T80 soon, but am expecting exactly what Carl described. Harder than 64 but softer than 05, spinnier than 64 but less than 05, slower than 64 but faster / more dynamic than 05.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Everything Carl just wrote is exactly correct

Tenergy 25 has pips that are considerably larger than the other 3. Therefore the pips on 25 give the least and it has the hardest feel.

Tenergy 05 has the hardest feel of the other three (which have the same sized pips), because there is less space between the pips.

Tenergy 64 has the softest feel of the regular Tenergys because there is more space between the pips than there is on 80 or 05.

Because the pips on 80 are spaced farther apart than on 05 but not as far apart as on 64 it is almost half way in between 64 and 05 in terms of how it feels.

All this is correct. And yet to me at least, T80 feels slower than T05 and I was expecting it to be a bit faster since T64 is quite a bit faster, and also for all the reasons Carl just listed. In other words, my expectation was exactly like Olio based on my experience with T64 and T05. I also think T05 is a bit spinnier than T64 and T80 is pretty much like T64 with respect to spin, although I have to admit it's been a while since I used T64 so maybe my memory is wrong. I just can't figure out why T80 feels slower to me. They are both on the same blade right now so I could compare head to head. But from this thread it seems like I'm not the only one. I was wondering if it was something I did gluing it on? But I really don't think that can be it, I always glue the same way. I should note my T80 is black 2.1 and my T05 on the same blade is red 2.1. Could that be the reason? I quite like T80 on my BH but not so much on FH.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012

Well, you miss something - Tenergy 05′s pips are shorter and closer together than Tenergy 64, which has much longer and more spaced out pips (i.e. you miss the lenght of the pips). This is shown here: http://www.experttabletennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tenergy-pip-size.jpg
This results in more speed of 64 than 05 but for the feeling - I think it depends on the blade that is used (i.e. on soft blades the feeling can be the opposite compared to hard blades).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Does anyone know of any professionals using Tenergy 80 yet? I have a feeling we will see players using it at this years World Championships.

Well, in the review of Tenergy 80, Jun Mizutani and Seiya KISHIKAWA mentioned that they are going to use it (not clear when exactly). However, there are rumors that Zhang Jike switched to T80 and this is one of the reasons of his poor results this year.

Reactions: Dan
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, you miss something - Tenergy 05′s pips are shorter and closer together than Tenergy 64, which has much longer and more spaced out pips (i.e. you miss the lenght of the pips). This is shown here: http://www.experttabletennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/tenergy-pip-size.jpg
This results in more speed of 64 than 05 but for the feeling - I think it depends on the blade that is used (i.e. on soft blades the feeling can be the opposite compared to hard blades).

Good point, a longer pimple of the same width, that is spaced further. The length should add to the bendability of the pips which might add to that idea of softness. It might add more catapult. It might make it so it is further from the sponge.

Not sure how this would affect how it plays, but I don't think it would make it harder.

And it looks like the length of the pips for T80 is somewhere in between T64 and T05 just like the spacing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I currently playing with Tenergy 80 in my backhand and like it is mentioned in Dan's wonderful review, it is certain more popular on the backhand due to the softness for a backhand loop, however I have noticed that it is very good for a short forehand loop when I was practicing with it. I use 64 on my forehand due to the feel I get when hitting the ball and with my blade being a OFF- I can get the control. I could never stand Tenergy 05 however so this may explain why I use that combination rather than 05 at all. If you use something like a soft Joola rubber, it is very comparable to that. Hope this helps people.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Well, in the review of Tenergy 80, Jun Mizutani and Seiya KISHIKAWA mentioned that they are going to use it (not clear when exactly). However, there are rumors that Zhang Jike switched to T80 and this is one of the reasons of his poor results this year.

That's interesting, where have you seen these rumors buddy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Nice, I would be interested to know the differences between that Bryce speed and others. All I have heard is that in the factories of these rubber companies, the center of the rubber sheet is the highest quality and that's what goes to the professionals. The outside edges the rubber cutting is slightly less standard. I don't know this 100% but this is word on the street. I have heard a lot of people talk about this throughout my time.

Same as well... We cant get the grade A rubbers. Those are reserved for pros or national players. Unless you've connection with those guys.

Secondly, seems you've tested the 80, a good rubber for BH, why you still prefer over 05? I notice you use it for both side, right?

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Same as well... We cant get the grade A rubbers. Those are reserved for pros or national players. Unless you've connection with those guys.

Secondly, seems you've tested the 80, a good rubber for BH, why you still prefer over 05? I notice you use it for both side, right?

I am still using the T05 as I use old rubbers from the Academy players at the Bristol Academy. If I could get some T80 I would definitely use it on my backhand. I think Tenergy 05 is very good if your an advanced attaching player who has a lot of control so your able to control it's speed. Tenergy 80 is for those who are wanting that bit more control what your attack shots.

I've tested the rubber for RPB. Actually not bad as what has been reviewed by Dan's. Totally a different feeling compare to 64. A good buy.

Good to hear buddy! :)