Stiga Helix Hybrid XH and DNA Hybrid H Review: New Generation vs Old Generation Hybrids

says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,783
1,720
5,697
Read 2 reviews
@victormanriquey

I tried VIS+H3N National 42A and I found it easy to control and the top-end spin quality wasn't any lower than with inner blades, but with another VIS+D05 the low-speed bounciness is maybe too much for me. It's not that I can't control it at all, but I don't get any benefit from it, and it makes some things like backhand digs harder to do.
Coupled with the higher throw angle of D05 it felt a bit awkward on FH and harder to loop backspin than with H3N. Despite the medium sponge measurement, it feels a lot harder, probably because of how progressive it is.

BH felt very fast and like it had no spin subjectively with D05 unless brushing thinly, although spin was immense when brushing thinly. I think the BH would be the real problem, with a lot of shots barely going out when with an inner or wood blade they'd be comfortably in. Same experience with G-1 on BH on the VIS+H3N setup but more manageable, still probably too much for me.

That was 4-5 months ago, though, when I was still super rusty. I'm a little more consistent now so maybe it'd not be as big of a change, although even on my B2 I felt the G-1 is slightly too bouncy sometimes for comfort. Maybe I just don't like tensors? LOL. When I want a stronger shot I will load up more, I don't really want the rubber to do it by itself. Speed is not a premium at my level and you can get more by just hitting more into the sponge.

D09c is definitely the most common mid-tier rubber here, and I think it synergises well with the common playstyle which is a FH looper with a spin-biased loop. Although all of those players want to develop more speed in their shot to be able to play at a higher level. A lot of people tried H3 but find it too physical to use when D09c delivers similar shot quality and feel, and they can afford it. Some just don't want the hassle of boosting either. Some players will use G-1 because they don't even want to clean the rubber!

Personally when I've tried D09c my impression is that I'd be pretty comfortable with it, but the price is too high for me. Honestly it's also not so different from boosted H3 in the mid and high speed range, only bouncier in low speed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
665
599
2,660
If the durability is greater than C2, yet feels very similar that is great! Especially when you said it shares the perceived softer feeling. Agreed about the hardness selecting part, and its sad other companies don't do it.
Yes I agree it is going to be an interesting alternative for many people the helix hybrid, indeed pity that other brands dont have that, a softer (true) D09c (G09c is not D09c, its good but not comparable) would be a super hit from butterfly ;)
I find the FZD ALC pretty comfortable to control, and even tho I disagree it should be used for everyone its quite common among amateurs and youth players here. I've tried 5+ Viscaria and a few FZD ALC with the exact same config of H3 and D09c, and most felt crap I speculate due to QC, however it is also slightly harder than FZD. This isn't what makes me find it different though, my FZD ALC is the best out of all blades that I've tried, and I reckon it is because it is Butterfly made for the Chinese market. These blades tend to be harder, and crisper than their Japanese counterparts, but make sure you buy from an authentic store. I do think ever so slightly more head heavy too. The qc is better for China than Japan, likely because greater audience.
Interesting also to hear, thanks for sharing more details on it! Also about the QC, maybe indeed the greater audience or god knows! Havent tested so many that I can say, but will keep it in mind!
Can't say about the transition from spin to speed in an amateur setting, but definitely on the world stage. Great example is when Hugo played Sora and Hugo was firing FH heavy topspin loops, and Sora was just casually staying in the same place close to the table executing backhand attacks. As a taller player its a bit discouraging, and honestly I wonder why mid distance taller players like myself use inner blades. With this being said outer just doesn't feel the same so far away. SALC seems like an option, but at loss of control and spin. I would like a blade that mirrors Viscaria, but with thicker core like the pros' blades for greater top end spin and speed, yet the same ALC control/inner.
Haha im not so tall but like inner more, although the B2X is a bit outer xD I had a great chat the other day with @ZSQ about outer blades in china, very interesting to read about the chinese trends there! Im sure you both can also have a nice chat on that!
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
665
599
2,660
I tried VIS+H3N National 42A and I found it easy to control and the top-end spin quality wasn't any lower than with inner blades, but with another VIS+D05 the low-speed bounciness is maybe too much for me. It's not that I can't control it at all, but I don't get any benefit from it, and it makes some things like backhand digs harder to do.
Coupled with the higher throw angle of D05 it felt a bit awkward on FH and harder to loop backspin than with H3N. Despite the medium sponge measurement, it feels a lot harder, probably because of how progressive it is.
Oh wow fun, I would not be able to control that, its too much bounce for me haha I mean I could control it but Id need to hold my stroke quite a lot haha but if you liked it and it worked for you, thats all fine, equipment is never one size fits all ;)

I can also imagine with D05 was hard on the low gear, viscaria has good rebound on its own and with D05 its more exaggerated, and yes, the high throw is something I also dont enjoy on FH, only with low throwing blades, Viscaria throws medium-ish but not as low as the B2X where a higher throwing rubber fits better.

That was 4-5 months ago, though, when I was still super rusty. I'm a little more consistent now so maybe it'd not be as big of a change, although even on my B2 I felt the G-1 is slightly too bouncy sometimes for comfort. Maybe I just don't like tensors? LOL. When I want a stronger shot I will load up more, I don't really want the rubber to do it by itself. Speed is not a premium at my level and you can get more by just hitting more into the sponge.
haha that could also be, maybe your gear taste is like mine, you prefer the linear hard tacky stuff, its fine, many people prefer that too, depends on a lot of things. Also for us amateurs, speed is really not the critical thing to win games, consistency is, some weird and uncommon technique can beat our asses all time if they are more consistent, I call those players table tennis artists (always in a positive way! :D)

D09c is definitely the most common mid-tier rubber here, and I think it synergises well with the common playstyle which is a FH looper with a spin-biased loop. Although all of those players want to develop more speed in their shot to be able to play at a higher level. A lot of people tried H3 but find it too physical to use when D09c delivers similar shot quality and feel, and they can afford it. Some just don't want the hassle of boosting either. Some players will use G-1 because they don't even want to clean the rubber!

Personally when I've tried D09c my impression is that I'd be pretty comfortable with it, but the price is too high for me. Honestly it's also not so different from boosted H3 in the mid and high speed range, only bouncier in low speed.
I see indeed, many people pair D09c with viscaria-like blades to tame them and have a H3N experience but easier, its definitely easier to use, and tires the legs less, and yes, some use tensors cause they dont wanna clean them, its fine if it works for them haha

For me D09c was great on BH but too much, I couldnt control its higher gear to the point I would win more with it, specially against stronger players it was tough on the defense side, but great rubber overall and for my forehand i could use it on the B2X (its similar to rakza and dynamic and C2 and helix hybrid) but indeed price is too much, and I dont need the extra power, I prefer linear FH and more explosive BH :)
 
This user has no status.
Thanks for the detailed review.
Your reviews are very informative and help me rule out certain rubbers. Did I understand correctly that if the Rakza Z feels very fast to me on serves, then the Helix Hybrid and DNA Hybrid won't be any slower—especially on pushes? In that case, I look forward to reviews of the Xiom Vega China and Andro Chintac.
 
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
665
599
2,660
Thanks for the detailed review.
Your reviews are very informative and help me rule out certain rubbers. Did I understand correctly that if the Rakza Z feels very fast to me on serves, then the Helix Hybrid and DNA Hybrid won't be any slower—especially on pushes? In that case, I look forward to reviews of the Xiom Vega China and Andro Chintac.
Thanks @jkugin !

Yes for the Helix Hybrid, if Rakza Z feels fast in serves and you struggle to keep it short and low, then Helix Hybrid will make things worse in my experience, and the DNA Hybrid will be better but you need to brush it very thinly, but do remember that the DNA hybrid is not linear like the Rakza Z, it is slow at first and explosive when you go for the shot, so you may or may not like that, but DNA Hybrid on short pushes was S tier for sure, so much fun! :D

The Xiom Vega China im on it now, I'm feeling it catapulty, thats all I can say so far, Andro Chintac I need to do, probably begin next year, I cannot comment on it yet ;)

Keep you posted!
 
  • Like
Reactions: jkugin
says what [IMG]
says what [IMG]
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Feb 2016
2,783
1,720
5,697
Read 2 reviews
@victormanriquey
The booster had worn out on that H3N, so it wasn't bouncy almost at all. Maybe it'd be different if it had a lot of booster left. The rubber was also a little old and maybe a bit dead, although judging by the incoming quality of the owner's shots I wouldn't say so for sure...
 
  • Like
Reactions: victormanriquey
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Active Member
Jan 2026
665
599
2,660
@victormanriquey
The booster had worn out on that H3N, so it wasn't bouncy almost at all. Maybe it'd be different if it had a lot of booster left. The rubber was also a little old and maybe a bit dead, although judging by the incoming quality of the owner's shots I wouldn't say so for sure...
Yeah good to do a retest if you want or can! You ll probably experience it different then :)
 
Top