This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Well-Known Member
Tbh imo it is probably too hard to try to overwhelm opponents by opening loop -> mid distance BH powerlooping and then hammer them till they miss their block. A lot of people are just damn good at BH blocking and mid distance BH powerlooping is just too damn difficult.I had a lesson yesterday, helped confirm some recent findings and also learned some new things.
On the FH side, the coach confirmed the benefits of keeping the wrist loose and the racket head up. Apparently the racket head should be adjusted based on the spin, height, and timing of the ball. That also goes for the BH side which I also worked on later on.
In addition, he wanted me to move my elbow more forward during the forward swing. I couldn't figure out how to work that into my stroke, so I tried a bunch of things during the practice, though never quite got it right. After coming home and reviewing the video I think I finally figured it out. The best way to do it is feeling like you're hitting the ball with your elbow. By doing this it also made the wrist usage much more natural. Before my wrist would lead the elbow, but now I feel like the elbow is leading the wrist (not actually, but that's the feeling).
On the BH side, besides adjusting the racket head I also needed to adjust my racket height in general. He noticed the day before that I was missing way too many opportunity balls on the BH side. He fed me some opportunity balls and had me start with a much higher racket, so high that I was absolutely certain that the ball wouldn't even reach the net, that it'd just hit my side of the table. Yet, it worked. The contact was great and the ball landed deep on his side. My brain needs to be completely rewired for this phenomenon lol.
Also, I finally managed to record some BH service receive training footage last week. I couldn't really use any power with my FH due to my wrist injury, so it was a good opportunity to work on my BH. It took me until ~5 mins into the video before I figured out that I could use my body to help adjust for height, though I never was able to use proper footwork to help as well. You can also see how during periods where I have trouble attacking services that it affects the rest of my game as well, as I'm not ready for the ball coming back even when I do land an attack. So I think if I can launch the first attack more consistently it should help the rest of my game as well.
I feel like if you focused a bit more on the finger action (index + thumb lever arm) and forearm supination you would get even higher spin/speed ratios which would help you shorten the stroke and also increase consistency.
For me i feel like the most effective stroke patterns are:
1) opening loop then continuous small stroke super spinny counters taken early (never wait for the ball to drop) with the aim just to keep up pressure and never really to win the point outright. A bit like the women's game. This can be highly annoying to opponents because it all looks like opportunity balls to them but isnt actually easy to deal with due to the spin. Also you defend your close table position and cut off angles and just kinda hang in there and vary angles here and there. And it is super stable because you are putting a lot of spin and not a lot of speed in them.
2) opening loop then BH fade counter (the harimoto siblings are the best at it). Basically BH opening loop with normal sidespin and then aim it down the line directly from the 2nd ball with opposite sidespin. You can adjust body angle either by retreating left foot a bit (if incoming ball is fast) or putting right foot in front (if incoming ball is slower or shorter). If the other guy has slow footwork it is pretty much unreturnable. It feels bad and disrespectful to practice this but it is so effective in real match situations that it is really worth practicing for it specifically lol.
3) The other way is to do opening loop and then directly punching the ball on the left side to kill off the topspin which is also quite effective and disorienting af.
4) tried and true BH opening loop, opponent soft block, you pivot and finish the weak ball with a FH powerloop.