How to be a topspin machine

This user has no status.
Recently I'm starting to realise that with my style prioritising chiquita, FH flicks and spinny opening loops, I am getting into a lot of topspin rallies where I'm looping first.

However, even if I chiquita or loop first, if the opponent is fast/stable af on the block/counter game I'm always a bit too slow for my liking on the subsequent shots, and eventually they get the better of me. The only way I win usually is if I overwhelm them with the amount of spin/power that they cannot handle. But past a certain point you can't expect them not to come back consistently.

So I can do decently spinny powerful loops on both wings, but what I'm lacking is the smooth connection between both wing to loop continuously and be in position no matter where the opponent places the ball. I have a bag of balls and multiple training partners, what drills do I do to improve this aspect of my game?

I wanna be a smooth af topspin machine not just a serve/receive guy lol...

Reactions: Fnub and Choosikick
The body position is the key to powerful FH shots, but you know this already. I find that backing away from the table a little bit give me more time to position myself.
My favorite scenario is when we play hard shots from position 2 (mid distance). Then there is more time to get into position and execute powerful topspin shots.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Recently I'm starting to realise that with my style prioritising chiquita, FH flicks and spinny opening loops, I am getting into a lot of topspin rallies where I'm looping first.

However, even if I chiquita or loop first, if the opponent is fast/stable af on the block/counter game I'm always a bit too slow for my liking on the subsequent shots, and eventually they get the better of me. The only way I win usually is if I overwhelm them with the amount of spin/power that they cannot handle. But past a certain point you can't expect them not to come back consistently.

So I can do decently spinny powerful loops on both wings, but what I'm lacking is the smooth connection between both wing to loop continuously and be in position no matter where the opponent places the ball. I have a bag of balls and multiple training partners, what drills do I do to improve this aspect of my game?

Recieve serve, then play mixed point rally (must be topspin, if the serve is downspin you have to loop it) You and training partner alternate, each person serves 10 balls, alternating one diagonal and one down the line.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I find it easier to loop if I am back from the table a bit. This gives me more time. I find it much harder to loop with my BH because I contact the ball in front of me where as my FH loops are off to my side so I have a few more milliseconds to hit the ball.

Brushing the ball is a must. The more off center or eccentric the contact, the greater the spin to speed ratio. The Magnus effect is roughly proportional to the velocity x rotation rate. The problem is that too much velocity will just result in the ball flying off the table so the spin to speed ratio must be higher than a normal shot.

Reactions: kindof99
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
Prioritize recovery over maximizing the quality of a single shot (still do quality shots, but tune it down slightly at the beginning). Do some random ball drills to force yourself to recover without "cheating" (guessing and move into a position before your opponent hit the ball).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
3 Point forehand drills, how many times can you hit the ball continuously?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
....what I'm lacking is the smooth connection between both wing to loop continuously and be in position no matter where the opponent places the ball. I have a bag of balls and multiple training partners, what drills do I do to improve this aspect of my game?
Videotape some game play. Where specifically are you having transition problems? It might be more with forehand to backhand, or backhand to forehand, changing distance from the table, covering wide angles and recovering, handling elbow shots, etc. What's making you slow or awkward with a particular transition? There are often technical problems (too big follow through, flat footed after looping, etc.) that are much easier to address when you see what you're doing on video. Then it's often a pretty easy fix with multiball.

A common problem that doesn't show up so clearly on video is the relax-tense-relax cycle becoming relax-tense-stay tense when under time pressure. Another is loss of focus on your opponent's contact point which can happen when you don't keep your eyes on a relatively even plane (i.e., too much bouncing up and down). Random drills with your partner blocking to two or three different locations work well for this one.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
3 Point forehand drills, how many times can you hit the ball continuously?
3 point (if you're referring to whole table Fh looping) is a nightmare lol, I think I can only do like maybe 5-6 balls before I run out of gas :( 1 BH 1 FH is not so difficult, but when it comes to random placement I'm toast.

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of doing 3 point FH when I don't even pivot all that much in games in general (i pretty much only pivot against high opportunity balls)?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
3 point (if you're referring to whole table Fh looping) is a nightmare lol, I think I can only do like maybe 5-6 balls before I run out of gas :( 1 BH 1 FH is not so difficult, but when it comes to random placement I'm toast.

Out of curiosity, what is the benefit of doing 3 point FH when I don't even pivot all that much in games in general (i pretty much only pivot against high opportunity balls)?
3 point fh is to let you train to hit fh anywhere on the table. And since it is a drill - it is way easier than live play
no matter if you are fh/bh player or what, movement is still the key
and 3 point fh's pivot isnt really that big of an angle too.

if you can't move, then you can't hit the ball correctly.
if you can only do 5-6, then that means, if I can block for 7, I can beat you.

I guess this is what you mean by out of position, because eventually you will be out of position and either can't hit back or make a mistake or hit back with a low quality shot.

And I am only "blocking". If we are both in FH or BH top spin rallies, the person who last the longest will prevail - that is assuming if both our balls are of equal quality and strength.

It all ties down to basic drills and training and if you can do 20, or 30 on the trot.
This will allow you to do 8 or 10 in actual game play.

There are many drills you can do, and it all comes down to continuously getting the ball in.

This user has no status.
3 point fh is to let you train to hit fh anywhere on the table. And since it is a drill - it is way easier than live play
no matter if you are fh/bh player or what, movement is still the key
and 3 point fh's pivot isnt really that big of an angle too.

if you can't move, then you can't hit the ball correctly.
if you can only do 5-6, then that means, if I can block for 7, I can beat you.

I guess this is what you mean by out of position, because eventually you will be out of position and either can't hit back or make a mistake or hit back with a low quality shot.

And I am only "blocking". If we are both in FH or BH top spin rallies, the person who last the longest will prevail - that is assuming if both our balls are of equal quality and strength.

It all ties down to basic drills and training and if you can do 20, or 30 on the trot.
This will allow you to do 8 or 10 in actual game play.

There are many drills you can do, and it all comes down to continuously getting the ball in.
Yes you're completely right. But movement training is also really tiring especially 3 point FH and I'm sometimes lazy lol... serve/receive is a lot easier on the body and yields good results. But it really only works against players with bad block/counter game. Against those they somehow always drag it to topspin rallying and I'm often not fast enough to follow their blistering pace.

But say if I wanted to go through with it, what would be a good progression plan?

Eventually what I want to get to is whenever I get into a topspin rally I would be in a stable position blasting high quality shots from both wings continuously no matter where the ball is.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Not sure about technique, but I sure hell sure you are using the wrong equipment.

For the ultimate topspinning experience; you'll need none other than a W968 and boosted NH3 40 degree hardness or more.

Gozo: Helping the EJ community since 2021

p/s
W968 users always be like; BH? What is BH?

Viscaria & Innerforce users always be like; BH? Now, you hold on to my beer, Bob!

For those unsure of their orientation, basically the trans community; One Ply Hinoki with both side T05. You'll get to play both ways.

• Haha
This user has no status.
Videotape some game play. Where specifically are you having transition problems? It might be more with forehand to backhand, or backhand to forehand, changing distance from the table, covering wide angles and recovering, handling elbow shots, etc. What's making you slow or awkward with a particular transition? There are often technical problems (too big follow through, flat footed after looping, etc.) that are much easier to address when you see what you're doing on video. Then it's often a pretty easy fix with multiball.

A common problem that doesn't show up so clearly on video is the relax-tense-relax cycle becoming relax-tense-stay tense when under time pressure. Another is loss of focus on your opponent's contact i can happen when you don't keep your eyes on a relatively even plane (i.e., too much bouncing up and down). Random drills with your partner blocking to two or three different locations work well for this one.
I usually can loop a lot of balls continuously if they block normally. But if it's very wide or fast to the elbow that's usually where I'm toast. Sudden short low is also incredibly difficult to deal with especially if its wide. I have a special hate relationship with people who just love punching my topspins to my elbow area. I think getting from very wide FH back to wide BH to loop is close to impossible, I always end up kinda fishing at this point :( BH to FH is easier because the crossover step has a very large range, I can usually get good loops from this.

This user has no status.
Prioritize recovery over maximizing the quality of a single shot (still do quality shots, but tune it down slightly at the beginning). Do some random ball drills to force yourself to recover without "cheating" (guessing and move into a position before your opponent hit the ball).
I think for me I actually get slower if I try to reduce quality. It feels like the weight transfer is incomplete and im not controlling the ball as much as the ball is controlling me. I have to go like at least 70% power to feel most at control.

I tried some random ball drills and I'm quite bad at it especially making the decision to use BH or FH for balls near middle.

Jan 2023
I think for me I actually get slower if I try to reduce quality. It feels like the weight transfer is incomplete and im not controlling the ball as much as the ball is controlling me. I have to go like at least 70% power to feel most at control.

I tried some random ball drills and I'm quite bad at it especially making the decision to use BH or FH for balls near middle.
70% is a good gear for topspin against random ball. Do finish your stroke and do spin the ball, not much point to just touch the ball back (unless that is legit part of your game).

But if you cannot control the ball without going at least 70%, then you'd have a low margin of error. Basically you are only comfortable when you attack🤣

• Haha