World Cup 2024

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
keep playing like this and Hirano will make JTTA rethink about her Paris singles spot
This is the lower limit after WTTC 2024 that I predicted during Singapore Smash 2024.

Compared to her teammates, especially Hayata, and other non-CNT top players, Hirano is really a workhorse and the sturdiest here. Between WTTC 2024 and Singapore Smash 2024, Hirano was on a 10-match winning streak (8 at WTTC 2024), beating Hayata and Samara 3-0 before losing 2-3 to Ito after holding 3 match points in G4.

In contrast, Ito was on a 5-match winning streak (2 at WTTC 2024), having a relatively easier draw before losing 2-4 to WMY. Since that loss, Ito has had serious trouble beating non-CNT players.

Last but not least, Hayata, who should have even easier draws as a seeded player like Ito, is really not much better, having serious trouble to overcome Batra 3-2 and blowing the 2-1 lead over SYS at WTT CS Incheon 2024.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Last edited:
Jan 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Ahem, yours truly keeps making these predictions from an absurdly small sample size. ;)

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...s-incheon-03-27-03-31-korea.33316/post-450698
What predictions? As far as I know you haven't made any predictions, and are in the game of post-hoc armchair quarterbacking.

How about we use this opportunity for you to make prediction on the performances of each JNT member against the CNT team in the near future. You know everything about these ladies and how they'll perform right? Then tell us.

Jan 2018
Sports is ultimately entertainment and to grow the sport, even when the points are meaningless, it is okay if the players are entertaining. This is what people need to accept if commercialization of the sport is important. All they had to do was plat respectably for one or two meaningless games. Is that really too much to ask?
The latest example is Russell Westbrook. It got picked up by the local news and people compared him to Messi.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/socc...h-beyond-realm-sports-fury-builds-2024-02-08/
https://www.hk01.com/Jumper/988820/韋斯保克重視球迷互動-他們可能只來觀戰一次-網民-反觀美斯

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
It looks like Lin has some injury issues. His hand is again wrapped in a bandage. The last few sets he didn't look like himself.
with the calendar cramp after Jan/Feb with monthly majors till olympics (in Dec, there was not much major's listed expect for singapore smash).
and crucial to get points for seeding for OG
you are forced to play with injuries.

that is the life of pros, that many don't see.
I see some photos of them in healthcare facilities receiving treatment and doing rehab, to just compete
and only to fall apart again after few days of playing and back to treatment and rehab.... the cycles continues non stop.
the big ball I said few years ago caused a lot of damage to the body.
the WTT / ITTF scheduling has really made it 10 times worse

says 40+ age in the 40+ age
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
The life of a Pro sports player is hardly about roses... I've read about football players too, especially when the European team leagues are still running, the only training they can do at the club is recovery oriented. And when there's an international tournament they can forget any other kind of recovery during the summer too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
The life of a Pro sports player is hardly about roses... I've read about football players too, especially when the European team leagues are still running, the only training they can do at the club is recovery oriented. And when there's an international tournament they can forget any other kind of recovery during the summer too.
a lot of sacrifices indeed for sport people.

if you can make a lot of money, then at least there is some money for a long retirement period and you can support yourself and your family.

avg work is till 65 and need retirement money for 25+ years.
you are lucky to play TT till 35 in Asia, or 40 in Europe, and the rest of your life is retirement,
or for any sport, you pivot and find a new income stream, if you don't stay within the sport.

Lin Yunju is up there to probably live well for the rest of his life.
i know many that are in the 30 to 50 or 70-100
They have the same problem with injuries, income is way less than top 10s (that is if they get paid lol)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
This is the lower limit after WTTC 2024 that I predicted during Singapore Smash 2024.

Compared to her teammates, especially Hayata, and other non-CNT top players, Hirano is really a workhorse and the sturdiest here. Between WTTC 2024 and Singapore Smash 2024, Hirano was on a 10-match winning streak (8 at WTTC 2024), beating Hayata and Samara 3-0 before losing 2-3 to Ito after holding 3 match points in G4.

In contrast, Ito was on a 5-match winning streak (2 at WTTC 2024), having a relatively easier draw before losing 2-4 to WMY. Since that loss, Ito has had serious trouble beating non-CNT players.

Last but not least, Hayata, who should have even easier draws as a seeded player like Ito, is really not much better, having serious trouble to overcome Batra 3-2 and blowing the 2-1 lead over SYS at WTT CS Incheon 2024.
Well, Hirano has more matches to play. What are your predictions for where she will get to in this event?

What ranking do you believe Hirano will have at the end of this cycle with all the opportunities she will have?

Last edited: