Lessons I Learned in Shanghai about Boosting and Equipment in General

High quality post!
thank you !
how many times can u reboost a rubber
I was told 2 times, I believe you can try 3 times if you apply very very thin layers or if you don't feel the rubber too mushy
I’m with TensorBackhand on this one, there is a slight degradation long term but the boosting never goes away. This is logical because there are no voc’s involved to dissipate. The degradation is mechanical. If you don’t use the rubber there is very little degradation. The booster resolves the the sponge until it’s saturated so I would assume that the bubbles get bigger and that is what gives a higher speed and catapult.
Seammon does a great job with this on H3…

Cheers
L-zr
I agree that the Booster has more of a mechanical impact than a chemical one (which shouldn't be overlooked) on the rubber. I guess that's also why I was advised to place the rubber on the Kailin bottle to deliberately create the dome effect and regain tension when gluing.

Reactions: netdriver
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Donic Desto F1 just refuses to die in China. It's among the first ESN Tensor rubbers released circa 2/1998 (on the LARC at least since 1997/10/10). I cited back in 2017 a Tieba thread from 2015 that a sizeable crowd was still using the original F1 and how people are willing to try out new stuff but will ultimately stick to the ones they believe are the best, and Tieba threads about it still pop up from time to time in 2024.

多尼克f1的寿命是多久? (How long does Donic F1 last?)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/9016914020
多尼克f1重量 (Weight of Donic F1)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8996874740
多尼克F1有假货吗 (Does Donic F1 have knockoffs)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8949460217
Donic f1是真的拉垮 (Donic F1 really sucks)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8371069797
多尼克f1重吗 (Is Donic F1 heavy)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8103254855
多尼克F1为什么这么耐打?简直神胶 (Why is Donic F1 so durable? Simply a divine rubber)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7423867469

Last edited:
Great original post by the way! really enjoyed the insight.
Thank you !
I will be honest. I don't have any follow up questions because the original post is very detailed and extensive. I figure if I have any more questions beyond what the OP answered, the answer of those questions probably lies in "everyone plays a bit different" and whatever information the OP grabbed from his time in Shanghai is very much one way of approaching the whole topic about equipment and boosting (meaning there are many answers and they are all correct!).

I like to boost both chinese and ESN rubbers when I transfer them from one blade to another. I also agree with Chinese rubber on the FH and an ESN/BTY rubber on the BH. I have been using that type of set up for 10+ years already.
Indeed, the question of boosting is quite personal, but I've noticed some rules that no one breaks in the shop and the club I visited : always apply very thin layers, no more than 2 (with Kailin), always apply a layer of glue beforehand to protect the sponge, then two layers after the last layer of Kailin and before gluing it to the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
I still don't convinced in glue layer before booster, I feel glue becomes more sticky and hard to remove. For sure it might be helping, but what are the chances?
Once I have a bubble on rubber, it happened while playing.

For re-boosting, I've started measuring hardness of all my rubbers while they are new or boosted.

2 boost layer hardness = 2 boost layer + 1 - 2 month play + 1 re-boost hardness.
Also I can feel difference after reboost. So boosting effect degrades in time, not until initial state but some.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJ Ng
Do they use dignics 05 often in China?
I saw more 09C in the club I went (the head coach and the best provincial players in the training hall played with FZD ALC, H3N BS and D09c) but here's is an interesting chart

Attachments

• 1715849032930.png
    1715849032930.png
    897.4 KB · Views: 116
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
1. I talked about a lot of things mentioned in OP, many don't believe me, so hopefully and more english content coming out of China, people will start to believe
especially pro star version feels different to national version and it is just beyond sponge size/hardness difference

2. boosting that never goes away is a myth.
the sponge looses its expansion and becomes dead
when you remove the rubber, you will see "reverse doming", and that is where the sponge has shrink, to possible smaller than the topsheet. (when you boost, the sponge goes bigger than the topsheet and domes)

if you didn't take off the rubber, you won't see it, but the sponge quality has already loss it "boosting" capability and I just call it, a dead feeling.
for high level player they can notice it with ease.
the same can be say with gluing - fresh glue is more bouncy with aged glue (on the rubber) as dead too.

The crowd I am with, H3 boosted, last 2 to 3 weeks, with a usage of around 30+ hours of "hitting" per week.
so give an take, it is around 80-100 hours of usage if you lucky.

1. I talked about a lot of things mentioned in OP, many don't believe me, so hopefully and more english content coming out of China, people will start to believe
especially pro star version feels different to national version and it is just beyond sponge size/hardness difference

when you remove the rubber, you will see "reverse doming", and that is where the sponge has shrink, to possible smaller than the topsheet. (when you boost, the sponge goes bigger than the topsheet and domes)

if you didn't take off the rubber, you won't see it, but the sponge quality has already loss it "boosting" capability and I just call it, a dead feeling.
the same can be say with gluing - fresh glue is more bouncy with aged glue (on the rubber) as dead too.

The crowd I am with, H3 boosted, last 2 to 3 weeks, with a usage of around 30+ hours of "hitting" per week.
Exactly, it does from mechanical interaction not by anything evaporating. Since boosting is vitrtually destroying of course the mechanical damage goes faster.
I have a bloom power I boosted 3 months ago and it’s as it was just boosted… very little play time.

Cheers
L-zr

100% right !
Thanks for the insight. I have observed this "reverse doming" phenomenon when I change or re glue a rubber, even if it is not boosted.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
Hey guys,
I'm updating my post with the translation of the instructions written on my Kailin bottle :

Instructions for use:

• Apply 2-3 coats depending on your needs.
  • After it is completely dry, use a water-based adhesive for bonding. It is recommended to let it dry naturally.
Drying time:

• Takes about 3-4 hours for each layer to dry, with each coat drying in about 30 minutes.
  • The overall drying time may vary depending on the environment.
Effective duration:

• Approximately 15-20 days (depending on personal feeling and the conditions of use).
Storage:

• Store in a sealed container, in a cool and dry place, and avoid direct sunlight. Keep away from fire sources.
Company address:

• Room 410, Building 55, No. 709 Lingling Road, Jing'an District, Shanghai, China
Applicable rubber type:

• High density sponge

Attachments

• IMG_7622.jpg
    IMG_7622.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Exactly, it does from mechanical interaction not by anything evaporating. Since boosting is vitrtually destroying of course the mechanical damage goes faster.
I have a bloom power I boosted 3 months ago and it’s as it was just boosted… very little play time.

Cheers
L-zr
expansion of sponge will lead to shrinkage over time, even without using it
so a shrink sponge that is fighting to get back into its smaller shape on your unused racket.... well, I'm sure it won't feel the same as a freshly boosted one.

I can't explain why you feel the same, I don't have the same experience and I can tell it night and day apart.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
100% right !

Thanks for the insight. I have observed this "reverse doming" phenomenon when I change or re glue a rubber, even if it is not boosted.
if rubbers has been stretch on the sponge, ie a lot of ESN rubbers, then over time, i will shrink and reverse dome
top sheet doesn't move much, but it is the sponge that is bloating up and down, and with that "stretching of the topsheet" to give better grip

expansion of sponge will lead to shrinkage over time, even without using it
so a shrink sponge that is fighting to get back into its smaller shape on your unused racket.... well, I'm sure it won't feel the same as a freshly boosted one.

I can't explain why you feel the same, I don't have the same experience and I can tell it night and day apart.
Rubbers shrink without boosting too…
They can sit for a long time in their package, but after usage when removes they have shrunk..

Cheers
K-zr

This user has no status.

What is the difference between the national and the pro star versions?
How does a 42 degree rubber feel softer and grippier? Is it compared to a national 41 degree or smthn.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
How does a 42 degree rubber feel softer and grippier? Is it compared to a national 41 degree or smthn.
i can't answer that precisely

I have played both with Ma Long and DHK before.
In fact DHK's once just 2 weeks ago (her exact racket)

If I saw pro star version feels like a different rubber to prov/nationals that I use, i think it is a fair statement.
the quality in the top sheet and sponge is just way better.

says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
says TT is easy: just place the ball on the table 1 time more...
Nov 2022
I noticed a huge difference between H3 42 star and 40 national BS. 42 has much more elastic topsheet and it is easy to land the ball onto the table. But it lacks quality brushing only with topsheet. 42's sponge is much harder when you try to hit through the ball. 42 requires more opened bat angle and much more body rotation and swing speed to get a really deadly ball. With 40 I can do 50% effort and the ball goes with good speed and spin. With 42 when I do 50% the ball may be fast but no spin. Idk 42 is less suited for brushing. Only my experience. But I feel good with 42 on BH. I can really loop forward and forward not carrying about the ball going long but I start getting tired soon.

Reactions: rbtitco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
I don’t have any experience with 41 or 42 but I tried 40,39,37.
One thing, I’ve noticed that I think harder rubber has more room for boosting.
I wonder are the pros boosting more than 3 layers, so they benefit from not just ability of harder hitting, also more boosted more live, more speed glue-ish effect with harder rubbers.