Search results

  1. SDC Handmade Blades

    #522 - Limba / Mahogany / Ayous core #524 - Limba / Limba / Ayous / Ayous //
  2. SDC Handmade Blades

    #518 - Ash / Ayous / Poplar / Kiri core #519 - Hinoki / Koto / Soft-Carbon / Balsa / Soft-Carbon //
  3. SDC Handmade Blades

    # 501 - Hinoki / SZLC / Kiri core #521 - Limba / Ayous / ZLC / Ayous core
  4. Can I still use this blade?

    I've had my share of fighting pre-established ideas, and always comes with drama. That's why I refrain from giving advice on this forum. Our word is not the law, but it should mean something, right? If this was a scuba diving forum I would keep my mouth shut and my ears down, but there are...
  5. SDC Handmade Blades

    Ok, I'll pause the FS blades for a while, I'm going to show some of the custom work from the last couple of years. #495 - Limba / S-AC / Ayous / Kiri core #499 - Limba / AxC / Ayous / Kiri core
  6. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    CNF is bascially Cellulose Nanofiber mixed with a PVA matrix, so it's super soft and elastic, nothing like ALC. No secrect there.
  7. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    I get what your saying, that feeling has been associated with TB ALC, and most that I've tried shared those characteristics. However, more recent models seem to be more homogeneous with the other outer ALC models. I can only guess what they are doing, my observations are mere conjecture because...
  8. Can I still use this blade?

    If you look closely I didn't reply directly at you. You were the first to ask something, the others just said don't do it. Some even laughed at my suggestion, so yes, I was offended. You might not know me but they do. The many people in here that do know me, know that's something I'm not. I...
  9. Can I still use this blade?

    Interestly, the only two guys that have experience, done this hundreds of times and know what they are talking about, are now the dumb ones. The internet is a beautiful place ❤️. Not everyone knows me, but he does, so as some of the others who have posted. Steam is off, you apply a drop of...
  10. Can I still use this blade?

    Steam on the iron is off, it takes 5 to 10 seconds to do. You are speaking so confidently about something you have never done, but again, you are the "expert"...
  11. Can I still use this blade?

    I gave the OP the most sensible solution to the problem, do you think I would give this advice if I haven't done it hundreds of times and it wasn't completely safe? It's easy to do, and the repair will be imperceptible if he ever wants to sell the blade. He can take the advice from someone who...
  12. Can I still use this blade?

    If you say so...
  13. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    This is true, kiri varies between bad and reasonable, but it's not a great wood in terms of properties (except for lightness). OK, now this makes more sense and it's in line with what I was thinking, the difference seems to be in the ALC lamination.
  14. Can I still use this blade?

    It's easily fixable. Put a drop of water on it, a lint free rag over it and use an iron until the rag is dry. The wood will return to its original state or almost. Might need a couple of tries.
  15. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    To me that also doesn't make much sense. Higher quality wood? Ok, they better do it, for that price... But an extra glue layer it's not the reason. Most small blade makers and even some bigger brands (soulspin) build composite blades like this. They take the raw composite fabric, impregnate it...
  16. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    There is an inverse proportion between mass and stiffness, so lighter cores often have a higher frequency, but only if the top layer is slightly stiffer as well. That would justify the same frequency reading for a lower mass blade. However, such a blade would also have a higher base speed and...
  17. Balsa blade frequency

    Not trying to be condescending or anything, but trying to make sense of it without having the base knowledge about modal analysis is not worth it. This is your answer: I wouldn't bother too much with it, just have fun building blades and experimenting.
  18. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    Thank you! They are ok, more than good enough for me to understand that I have no idea what's going on 😂. I see (maybe) a different glue line, but apart from that everything checks out. By the way, they are close in weight but the golden supposedly has weight in the handle, do you feel any...
  19. Balsa blade frequency

    My advice is: if you don't have the knowledge to answer this question yourself, then forget about frequency. Just build your blades and nevermind the frequency. I've written about this stuff plenty of times, frequency does not equate speed, but people still don't get it, that's why I stopped...
  20. San Francisco looking for training partner.

    My interpretation is that stiffness is more or less the same (or even more), but counter balanced by the extra softness. When I first heard of the golden Vis I immediately thought - salc. But no, it's still ALC, which makes it more interesting. Is thickness still the same? Are you able to post a...
Top