Search results

  1. All about blade sealing

    Water does not sip into blades, water sips into handles. Moisture gets into or out of the core through the endgrain due to exchanges with the environment. I dehydrate blades all the time, you will also find that the blade will regain some of that weigh back after some time if you leave out...
  2. All about blade sealing

    I don't know what's the process of aging wood, heat treating is not marketing. I use thermally treated ash for handles and it's one of my favorite woods to use. Normally darker woods are also heavier, this stuff is medium weight, because the process removes all the moisture, and it gets a dark...
  3. All about blade sealing

    Doesn't work. You can use heat or steam and clamp it, it will remain flat for a while but it will slowly return into position.
  4. All about blade sealing

    I do still see it as a scam, but I understand your POV. I forgot to add that, after raising the fibers, we should dry the surface with an air drier. Thanks for remind. Sure, you are correct, as I've stated the wood fibers are diagonal in many cases, so some of the end grain might be exposed...
  5. All about blade sealing

    I don't use sealers from TT brands, but sure, they will work. For the amount you are applying they will all be lightweight, were are talking less than 1g added. I was using Chestnut Acrylic Lacquer, it's used for guitar finishing, but now I'm using another product.
  6. Blade sealing w968 help

    I don't have time to make a video, but I've made a post about it.
  7. All about blade sealing

    Ok, first we need to understand why a blade splinters in the first place, and if we need to seal it or not. This wasn't much of a problem back then, it started getting worse after the VOC glue ban, why? Why does wood splinter? It's very simple, when you put water on wood it raises the fibers...
  8. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1100 - Inner 1k-C - OFF- This is a blade I've been meaning to build for a while, what kept me from doing it was the fact that I have a limited supply of Kiso Hinoki, or even Kumamoto Hinoki for that matter, but curiosity got the best of me. It's a regular 5+2 inner construction with Kiso...
  9. SDC Handmade Blades

    I've made many asymmetric blades and yes, it is possible to achieve a speed difference.
  10. Blade sealing w968 help

    So much misinformation here... It looks like I need to do a "how to seal your blade" tutorial
  11. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1099 - Outer Spectra-GT - OFF I don't work with CNF, unfortunately I cannot get this material. However, I believe this is the closest I've gotten until now. Spectra is pretty light and thin, so I had the idea of laminating two fabrics in one layer. Since this is my business and I can call it...
  12. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1078 - 7 ply - Def- I'm not sure if this is the slowest blade I've built, but it's definitely in the top 3. The difference with this one is that I have incorporated cork, which makes it feel very soft. Purely for a defensive/push-blocking style, the blade has absolutely no power for offensive...
  13. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1097 - Outer sC - OFF- There is carbon in this blade, but it's so subtle that it basically feels like a 5 ply all wood blade. The Koto outer is thick and dense, and it also has one of the densest Ayous cores I've ever used on a blade. Due to this high density the blade feels generally...
  14. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1087 - Inner ALC - OFF- This blade has a similar structure to the Ovt. ALC, with a thick core and thinner outer plies, but I made it purposely slower. I wanted to keep some stiffness, but make it softer for a spin/control oriented playstyle. However, the main characteristic of this blade is...
  15. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1069 - 5 ply - ALL+/OFF- Not your usual 5 ply blade with a thick core and thinner outer plies. This one was originally designed as a defensive blade, with equal ply thickness made of White Fir (vertical) and Ayous (lateral). However, it came out too heavy with a larger head size, so I reduced...
  16. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1060 - Outer AC - OFF/OFF+ Another blade with a hidden balsa core, but this time I made it fast. Essentially it plays like your common outer balsa blade, it's stiff, hard(ish) and springy, so it fits a driving/smashing style, less focused on spin. With the hard Ayous edge, you don't need to be...
  17. SDC Handmade Blades

    Since the previous blade was already sold, I've decided to put another one 😁 #1056 - Inner SALC - OFF I don't put cyberthingys in here unless I have a good reason, in this case the reason was that the composition came out too heavy for what the customer intended, so I had to make another one...
  18. SDC Handmade Blades

    #1048 - Outer ALC - OFF-/OFF Not a lot to say about this one, it has a Vis structure but it's softer and slower. I do get a lot of these requests, so no wonder that some end up here. - Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri / Ayous / ALC / Koto - 87.6g - 5.85mm - 157x150mm - FL (100x25.2-22.9mm) - 1335Hz -...
  19. SDC Handmade Blades

    Thank you all again for the support! The messages have been sent and the number system will be up and running soon. You will be able to check the progress on the homepage of my website, and perhaps on my socials (still not sure about that). If I could find a way to automate the attribution of...
  20. An Jaehyun back to W968

    Lots of things. You can replicate the structure almost exactly, but the feeling is a consequence of the construction method. Big brands already have their assembly lines and their own way of doing things, changing that may be unfeasible/very costly, and of course they would have to know exactly...
Top