Search results

  1. Form is simply a means of consistency (a physics based approach)

    Yeah this is pretty much it. The lower the ball drops, the more you can swing with an upward trajectory and have it still land on the table. Nothing to do with any meaningful difference in backspin. I still do it when forced out of position, but if the shot is there to take earlier I'll always...
  2. Form is simply a means of consistency (a physics based approach)

    All shots decrease in spin as they travel, but not by any amount that will have any meaningful effect on the shot. I've heard some people say to let the ball drop more to wait for the backspin to decrease, but any positive of this is definitely not as beneficial as taking the ball at its peak...
  3. Ma Long @WTTC2026: Harimoto Tomokazu is the Best Non-CNT Player.

    Actually it's Matsushima now. Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
  4. Form is simply a means of consistency (a physics based approach)

    I think understanding the 'why' behind shot behaviour is good, but I think that turning it into no more than 2 or 3 simples cue is ideal when it comes to performance and improving. At its simplest, aiming to contact the top of the ball against incoming topspin, and the top+back of the ball...
  5. UPDATED 22.07 !! New Gear Recommendation

    That's a good option too actually, seems like a very good value blade.
  6. UPDATED 22.07 !! New Gear Recommendation

    I'd keep the same rubbers and change the blade. The blade has a bigger impact on feel than you'd think. A blade with similar stiffness but softer outer layer like limba might help give you a more balanced feel.
  7. Russian Players should not be on tour during the War.

    This is a genuinely insane thing to say. Consider taking a break from whatever absurd propaganda you consume.
  8. Russian Players should not be on tour during the War.

    There are so many countries who have committed atrocities in the last 3 decades, but somehow I don't think the problem was that the WTT didn't ban their table tennis players.
  9. Russian Players should not be on tour during the War.

    Maybe Russia will stop the war if Sidorenko asks them nicely. Perhaps that's what they've been waiting for all this time.
  10. Russian Players should not be on tour during the War.

    If we banned people from competing because of the unethical actions of their country, we'd be missing half the WTT roster. Anyway, this final should be amazing.
  11. Ma Long @WTTC2026: Harimoto Tomokazu is the Best Non-CNT Player.

    Yeah I just rattled the names that spring to mind recently, but I think LYJ and Calderano probably also are in that same bracket of players you expect to go deep in a tournament bracket. I would say any of those players could come up with a few deep runs at a major or even a win, and it puts...
  12. Ma Long @WTTC2026: Harimoto Tomokazu is the Best Non-CNT Player.

    I think best non-Chinese player would be Truls by a very slight margin, going by last 12 months. I see Harimoto, Truls, F. Lebrun, and more recently also Sora Matsushima, as all being in a similar range. I don't necessarily expect them to win a major event, but if they are in the draw I would...
  13. why wait to dry the glue?

    Of course the bond is weak when you wet glue. Table tennis glue is a type of contact glue and is designed specifically to be used on two separate dry surfaces. When the two surfaces with the dried glue come in contact, they chemically bond with the matching chemicals on the other surface. Wet...
  14. DHS Hurricane 3 Neo National Blue Sponge unboosted for FH good choice?

    If price isn't an issue, you may as well just boost. If you are intent on not boosting, then a hybrid rubber is a better option.
  15. Help needed for a FH rubber

    Glayzer and Glayzer 09c are good options. The regular Glayzer has a softer topsheet and is quite forgiving, but still with a respectable speed ceiling. Rozena's a bit softer but has an excellent performance to control ratio. Compared to the Tenergy options, I think it plays a like a toned down...
  16. To be a BH looper, or to be a BH controller, that is the question.

    I think if your forehand is overpowering players at your level and even above, you should aim to be better at the control game on backhand, to keep your best attacks focussed on the forehand. Even if you improve your backhand attacks, they aren't going to be on the same level as your forehand...
  17. What is the closest ESN equivalent to Spring Sponge nowadays?

    My impressions from playing the Glayzer, G1 and Rozena on the same blade. G1 has the highest quality ceiling, best of the 3 for serving, looping and countering. It's my personal favourite and I find that I play better with it than any other FH rubber I've tried (09c, Vega X, Glayzer, Rakza 7)...
  18. Hybrid rubbers wear issues

    Seems to be common with hybrids because they slowly lose their tackiness. Dignics 09c starts being able to lift a ball off the table for about a second, then after about 1-2 months it's completely gone. Still very grippy and capable of good spin and power, but not the same rubber. It's the...
  19. How to know if I prefer a short or long dwell time?

    Wanting easier access to power because of age is a very different thing to all wood being outdated because of the "modern game". Unless you are vying for spots in a professional league, there is no value in thinking rigidly about the, "modern game". There is only your game - the skills you...
  20. How to know if I prefer a short or long dwell time?

    It sounds like you need a more forgiving setup and (ideally) at least a few sessions of decent coaching. If you're frequently missing the ball, feel stiff, scared to brush and get tired while playing...an outer carbon with 38-40° hurricane isn't really helping you out. I would try to find a...
Top