Search results

  1. Should I upgrade my blade or change rubber?

    I would try option 2. Going from an Inner carbon limba blade to an outer carbon super ALC blade is a significant enough change that you can learn something from it. Option 1 is cheaper though so you could always test it and see whether it gets you anywhere. But you could also just flip the...
  2. How much does physical training help in TT?

    It depends on what you are training. But individual fitness and endurance at a general level are far less important than table tennis specific practice for determining the level you bring to a single match. What changes is when you have to play many matches and train a lot of volume over...
  3. I Played In A National Tournament; This Is My Diary

    Hey @Gozo , Sounds a bit unfair that you are in a tournament where you couldn't assess your level relative to whom you were playing before it started. Hoping the level you faced, should you decide to aspire to reach it, will influence how you approach the sport. We (adult learners) have all...
  4. Is penhold still viable?

    Aruna is play more and more backhand too... it is just the gap between both sides is large.
  5. Advancing Table Tennis Robots: PongFox Tests Service & Return Feature - Thoughts?

    Not to the level of player you are currently pitching this to. That's what we are evaluating here, the limitations of the setup in simulating realistic play. If you want to measure seeve target practice, there are many ways of doing that, and yours is reasonable even if a bit large. Maybe a...
  6. Advancing Table Tennis Robots: PongFox Tests Service & Return Feature - Thoughts?

    I know someone working on the problem and let me just say that for stroke technique, you might be surprised.
  7. Advancing Table Tennis Robots: PongFox Tests Service & Return Feature - Thoughts?

    Depends on the playing level. I could argue that a basic robot has value for training all levels of movement. But this tool could cause serious problems for a player higher rated than even US 1500 IMHO. I would think even US 1000, but it depends I guess.
  8. Advancing Table Tennis Robots: PongFox Tests Service & Return Feature - Thoughts?

    Oh I can see a lot of game reading landmines. The ball coming from a location where the serve did not go, the spin and speed on the returned ball not bring determined by the serve, no visual cue to read spin on the turn etc. But maybe there are some benefits. I find that people csn improve...
  9. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So I wrote about this adult learner earlier in the thread (he is around 2400 USATT now) - he just got semi-finals at O30 and finalist at O40 at the US Nationals. Here is the finals match of the O40 and the semi-finals match from the 040 as well.
  10. Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

    I sent a French co-worker a video of Felix Lebrun. She said that she was happy for France but she had absolutely no clue what was going on and the action was too fast for her to follow. Sometimes, we forget how subjective the beauty of sports is.
  11. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    So there is a TT channel that regularly feature a Vietnamese champion, To Duc Hoang. Worth following and watching, the guy is really insightful. Subtitles with translation to English are good. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd-kkjZMwOehqEupZxyAz9g
  12. Truls Moregardh Set to play in Chinese Super League

    Interesting. Shandong Weiqao clearly has 2 #1s, maybe 3, and an amazing balance between lefties and righties, no other team can boast that, though it depends on how you rate Xu Xin and Zhou Kai for Shanghai. Ma Long also has a way of making the young ones like Yuan Licen and Xu Yingbin play...
  13. Thoughts on External Carbon blades?

    Because the rules currently say within the blade, not the outer ply. Blades like this have been sketchy in the past.
  14. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Of course, but we are not pro players, so you can be confident that most players are not serving short unless they prove it to you consistently. But it takes the awareness that your errors may just be about the length of the serve to even change your mind. It may sound crazy, but even pro...
  15. Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

    When I die, bury me inside the playing hall! When I die, bury me inside the playing hall! All I want for my birthday is a bat and a ball!! All I want for my birthday is a bat and a ball!! :ROFLMAO:
  16. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    It is usually easier to push long if the ball comes half-long and you can see it is NOT coming off. But you don't have to loop a ball with second bounce on the table, you just aren't stuck over the table popping it up and recovering. The main thing is just don't trust the tightness of serves...
  17. Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

    They ask what I do and who I do it for, And all this other stuff up in the playing hall, All I want for my birthday is a bat and a ball, All I want for my birthday is a bat and a ball!
  18. Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

    It is just fun/addiction. And I play doubles and fun games as well. Just not as many willing participants at the level I play and the movement demands in doubles are greater for someone as arthritic as myself. I play how I want to play. As I said, if I wanted to win. I would play with pips...
  19. Life, Existence, and the Meaning of Long Pips - The Opus Maximus of James Z

    Fun is my primary objective - if it wasn't fun, I wouldn't do it. In fact, in many cases, I have just hit the ball without playing competitive matches because I enjoy hitting the ball. Competitive matches can heighten the senses, but very often, I play the way I want to play, not the way that...
  20. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Sometimes with level differences it is not about your technique. That said, varying serve returns is very important but I suspect if you were popping up thr serve. It had more topspin than you realized. I find that for me, I can loop kill short topspin to the forehand if it is high. The...
Top