Search results

  1. Developing player with some potential :)

    Makes sense - how long have you been playing for now?
  2. Developing player with some potential :)

    I am fairly confident that @hclnnkhg is just following up on my question and is making the point I am going to make here which I am sure you agree with. But the truth (and I am not telling you anything that you don't know) is that all these movements are designed to optimize your ability to get...
  3. Developing player with some potential :)

    When you wrote this: "I know some of these players are or have been in the top 50 in Norway, and all of them certainly are in the top 100. Not to be mean to those players or anything, but they all have their own peculiarities in their strokes, but the main theme is that they have acceleration...
  4. Technique advice for me

    That's impressive - I can't even pretend to do that.
  5. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Thanks for the kind words, Takkyu. I trained a lot of forehand the past 7 years and I have played matches where people tell me my backhand is bad but my forehand is good, or that I have balance, so your POV is not unknown to me. I did some work to change my backhand 3 years ago and my...
  6. Developing player with some potential :)

    The main point here is that it shouldn't be an impression, he needs to know your goals, you need to know his plan for you, and then you both need to figure out the intersection. He might assume you are playing somewhere on the days you don't train with him, and the things you are learning are...
  7. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    I guess one day, we will get to see your backhand. Until then, we will just have to live with your description of it :D.
  8. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Pulling the elbow back as part of the full stroke is pretty important. The backswing with the wrist makes it easier to go forward doing so. That said, I suspect that there are players who can get good spin without back swinging as aggressively. I would still argue that backswing is a major...
  9. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Since you are going to spin the ball you will be fine no matter how early or late you are. The contact is a bit on the side so it is a bit thicker when you are early and a bit thinner when you are late. The stroke feels very different from how it looks - it is much safer than you might think...
  10. Developing player with some potential :)

    I think BRS started after the age of 40, and he is very much against overthinking, in fact, whenever I make an elaborate story around technical control, he points out such verbiage doesn't help him at all. Ultimate if you get better in TT at playing matches, it will be through some kind of...
  11. Developing player with some potential :)

    You never answered my question about whether you think your pristine technique will help you beat the Norwegian players without the pristine technique and what the reason for your answer was One can deliberately practice many things and even improve those things, it is still important to know...
  12. Best Flat Hitting Rubber?

    Saying that flathitting is a broad term and that Mima Ito for example plays different from Falck or even Richard Dewitt (an American who uses Mark V). You have to understand what your blocking and point winning game will look like before choosing a rubber to match it. if you are going to...
  13. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Use this video. It is alien for most people to backswing like this, but be patient with any grip switches, the returns are exponential even if you only get 50% of what is being done.
  14. Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

    Thanks, I think I benefit from hitting with him, he brings and counterattacks so many balls back it is insane for me. When we first started playing, the points were over quickly because I missed his serves or stuff like that with all my rustiness. So with more familiarity, I survive the...
  15. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    You can reach to the left, just need to make the elbow positioning stable by carrying your backswing to the ball. This is one of my favorite videos on backhand topspin. One can quibble with the specific technique and whether you should let the wrist whip "all the way through", but the point he...
  16. Developing player with some potential :)

    Sometimes for those one session tutorials, you need to find the right kind of coach. The level doesn't sound high enough IMHO, or the style might not be quite right as you need a thinking player. Talking to them about how they see serve and serve return is often critical to understanding what...
  17. Developing player with some potential :)

    I have seen coaches give advanced players one or two lessons and helped them massively improve so it isn't about repetition per se, it is more about whether the coach is giving you something you really need at the level you are at. It is a complicated question no doubt, but the main thing here...
  18. Best Flat Hitting Rubber?

    One would need to know what blade you intend to use as well as the rubber - and flathitting is really technical, you need to decide how you win points - most flat hitters topspin a lot especially vs backspin and I have seen some use fast blade with slow spinny rubber and some use slow blade with...
  19. How Did I Win or Lose a Match?

    In general, footwork is a lower body exercise, and it is difficult for footwork to be effective if you don't play strokes with your lower body. If you don't train it, it doesn't come naturally, and training it is hard if your lower body isn't in top form. and you don't have equal strength in...
  20. Developing player with some potential :)

    This is the point. It isn't unique to table tennis, it is applicable to all forms of coaching. And even coaches who sometimes develop players aren't always developing them optimally, the problem is that it takes a trained eye to know that the coach is not giving you good training. But the...
Top