Any Service Advice for Me?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
@Shuki, please apply master archosaurus 's quick fix and let us all know if your forehand loop starts sticking

ttmonster, if coaches always took all of those into account at once and commented on all of them at the same time, their students would just have brain aneurysms.

I simply give a "quick fix" that has a little bit of all of those and we see if it helps him. Shuki has a coach, it's her job to fix all of those in great detail, not mine.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I really feel like being a clown and posting a video of "La Cucaracha" or something. But....I think instead I'll be a complete fool and try to explain things a little:

Look, Archo, I will try to be straight. Here is the thing. It seems to me your a pretty good kid. I don't know, maybe you're not a kid. But you come off like one.

Sometimes you say things that are pretty good. Sometimes you say things that seem solid on the surface but something seems off. Sometimes you say things that are flat out weird. All of that is okay. None of that is a problem. I mean, at least not to me. Anyone who would say I am sane or normal has to have his head checked. So I am not going to have a problem with someone else who is a bit cracked. You know what I am saying!

But, here is the thing: anytime any footage of anyone comes up on the forum, you are all over giving "constructive" criticism. And sometimes it is constructive. And sometimes it seems a bit less than constructive, which could just be things getting lost in translation. But regardless, as soon as anyone posts any video of anyone playing, you seem to jump all over the (not so) "constructive" criticism commentary.

Now, I don't know, maybe that is how you learn, so trying to comment on other people's technique helps you improve your own. But it comes off as if you think awfully highly of your technical knowhow and the problem there is, so much of what you say seems like "knowledge" learned from reading a magazine but applied to the wrong scenario.

Again, that could have to do with language and the problems with communication in written form.

Writing technical details on a glowing screen doesn't usually transmit facial expressions or tone of voice. Behind a glowing screen you can hide and pretend to be someone you ain't! As evidence, have a look at Sebas-Aguirre's most recent incarnation as the trouble making troll from Burkina Faso, know as kukamonga. But even kukamonga has given us video footage of himself playing. And, truthfully, he is a pretty good player in spite of the fact that the footage he posted was of a match where he was struggling greatly as a result of circumstances not to his liking.

But he posted video!!!!!

Now, do you really mean to say you can't find a way to borrow someone, and their cell phone and get them to film you doing some kind of drill that will help us see some confirmation that you are a human being who actually plays table tennis and not some strange character who read a bunch of articles on how to hit a forehand loop from the Butterfly magazine.

Everyone one here is rooting for you to be a real human being and not a sock-puppet Anthony R Brown trolling the intersphere. I am positive that if you post video--no matter how good or how lousy the quality, no matter how high or low the technique--EVERYONE who has asked you to post video will be supportive and you will have put a human face and vulnerability onto the talking head, sock-puppet persona that you have so far presented yourself as.

So, thanks for understanding Archo: any commentary on the technical details of someone else on this forum's table tennis game will be looked at as trolling from a sock-puppet: at least until you post video footage of yourself playing.

And, I mean, really, if you have played table tennis for more the a few weeks, how is it possible to not have video footage. I remember seeing video footage of myself playing back in 1991 when I didn't know how to play at all and there was no such thing as a digital camera or even a camcorder.

And if you have never seen footage of yourself playing TT, I suggest you start filming as soon and as often as possible. Because, no matter what your level, seeing footage of yourself will help you improve.

Now for a relevant video:

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Shuki and ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Burninating the country side! Burninating the archotaurus! Burbinating the nextkettlel! Turbinating the kowabonga! Burninating the TTlobster! Burninating the CarlUpDownSide!

Man I miss Liten. He made me laugh a lot.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
First a reply to ttmosters post

You surely took this to the next level :) .

Back to topic, his problem could be because of any number of reasons :

1. Lack of confidence in his swing
2. Lack of footwork
3. Lack of anticipation
4. Incorrect understanding of spin or lack of confidence in the understanding
5. Late timing
6. Incorrect stance, as in favoring the backhand more
7. not adjusting to the height of the ball

How on earth were you able to glean enough information without looking at Shuki's game to come up with such a specific observation ? Confounded Confucius !!!!

1. Lack of confidence in his swing - nope

2. Lack of footwork-Technically yes, I tend to instead of planting my right foot and pushing off for the forehand stroke, stepping with the right foot and stroking at the same time comes up

3. Lack of anticipation - Slightly true, car'l sidespin suprises me even when I know it's coming
4. Incorrect understanding of spin or lack of confidence in the understanding - Definitely true, see point # 3

5. Late timing - sometimes, but usually no.

6. Incorrect stance, as in favoring the backhand more- This is a tricky one, I start off in tournaments and league play with a forehand dominant stance, but as I tire out I make it more of a backhand stance and favor it.

7. not adjusting to the height of the ball. Not a big issue but it happens occasionally like it does everyone

Now to comment about carl's post with my serves and service return.

Like I said earlier, when I serve I'm on auto pilot. I'm completely capable doing shorter serves with heavier backspin. But thats simply not the kind of serve I would use in a game since I autopilot my serves in games. Why do a drill with serves I never use? This would give me very little benefit. The reason my service return is much better than my service is exactly that.

I USED to make my serves very heavy with lots of variation on all of them, But i found myself having to use more energy to get a decent stroke off with these serves. It was simply exhausting. And as I discovered my game being that of a slower player/fisher that still uses attacking strokes, just slow versions of them. I discovered that my service and play style didn't mix well.

Now if we were to play an actual game, You'd probably recieve the same serves from me since I'm so comfortable with them. The only difference would be the pace change, placement and speed of them. I would almost never add a lot of spin to them even though I'm capable.

I really hate heavy topspin, and the more spin that's on the ball, the more topspin my opponent can give me.

Thank you for the kind words about my backhand.

Oh and yes, carl is very right about my tracking with my forehand being not as good. My coach has also noticed this and blames my grip.

Last edited:
Most professional coaches would not venture advice without having seen who they were offering advice to. And a professional coach would establish his expertise and why he should be listened to. Does that help show the problem?

Young people like to believe that life is logical - no, life is about experience. Logic is just a way of organizing experience. If you cannot display expertise or establish it, there is no reason for anyone to listen to you, whether you are correct or not.

Best quote i've seen so far on this forum. Thumbs up!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Shuki's forehand is probably too short and constricted. Perhaps not up to the contact, but probably on the follow through.

Whenever I have problems with lining up a forehand, it's lack of rotating into the shot and playing it more in a backhand like mentality.

I'm relaxed, and my forehand block is great, so it's not that I'm too tense or my forehand sense is just bad. I don't think it's that for Shuki either. Most likely, it's a constricted swing, due to thinking too much.

None of this was even close to correct. thanks for trying though.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
None of this was even close to correct. thanks for trying though.

Totally agree. None of the "helpful" comments from Archo had anything to do with your game. You are well coached. And if your serves are very basic by design there is nothing wrong with that.

That drill we were doing though--short backspin serve, long push, third ball attack--if your short backspin serve ends up being a long dead serve, the ball you get back will not be a useful quality push for improving your opening against. And a long push off of a long dead ball is probably not a return you will get in match play. But your game is solid and three dimensional. And your opening vs backspin is pretty solid.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Totally agree. None of the "helpful" comments from Archo had anything to do with your game. You are well coached. And if your serves are very basic by design there is nothing wrong with that.

That drill we were doing though--short backspin serve, long push, third ball attack--if your short backspin serve ends up being a long dead serve, the ball you get back will not be a useful quality push for improving your opening against. And a long push off of a long dead ball is probably not a return you will get in match play. But your game is solid and three dimensional. And your opening vs backspin is pretty solid.

I never thought of my long backspin serve as "dead". People pop it up like no spin but I always just assumed it was because of the pace I put on the ball. A backspin ball that's fast can actually be treated as no spin.

A player could use the momentum of the ball as their source of power behind it. regardless, I like it. People don't treat it correctly and try to chop it, giving me an easy 3rd ball