Why do professional players moan when hitting the ball?

says what [IMG]
Carl has a valid point. Exhaling is useful, and should be utilized as a habit. Most people do it already, but perhaps not to the extent they could.

NL's point about distraction is also good, but I wouldn't put it down to only that. Especially weaker players would be perhaps more inclined to grunt more, probably with no actual further noticeable effect on power.

I'm short and light, built more like an Asian than a European, but apart from a short, not exactly loud grunt, anything else is entirely diminishing returns. It seems to be so for everyone else as well, when it comes to explosive strength. We are physiologically very similar, after all.

If you were to ask me if some pro players' grunts are conscious, deliberate distractions, I would ask you in return if you have ever considered the reason why the grunts turn off entirely when the battle heats up and the mind is preoccupied? :rolleyes:

Also lol @ the culture discussion. I didn't know people thought the Chinese are less vulgar than the Japanese.

says what [IMG]
I am being facetious, but it really pisses me off when I am playing a point and suddenly, I get a grunt during a power shot from my opponent and lose my timing and ability to track the ball off auditory cues.
Very loud grunting should probably be frowned upon due to that reason. I mean, we have to be quiet in the library because it will disturb people, why not on the court?

At the same time, you just gotta deal with it, if it's not absolutely deliberate and obvious. Some people are not the best at drawing out power, and think they need to grunt loudly/can only activate their muscles if they think they're grunting hard enough. I think from a certain point forward, it's pretty much entirely mental, otherwise we'd all be screaming like baboons.

This user has no status.
Yeah, Primo grunts even when he is blocking: [video]http://coub.com/view/cx5kg[/video].

Interestingly, I like to grunt myself when I'm kind of "stretched" in the game or even practice. And I even cannot say why I'm doing this, it somehow makes me more comfortable and confident.

How does it come here that Dima doesn't moan there? :D

By the way, congratulations on reaching 500 posts, Ilia! These have been real quality posts, confirmed also by the 500 likes you've received so far!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
I think beside breathing methods or distracting the opponent sometimes the reason behind moaning in rallies are the need for power . I my self never do it on purpose , when I need more power the sound comes it self . between.chinese players i heard zjk's moaning more . forexample In the game versus zjk and gionis the defender . zjk was moaning in some spinny strokes while he was looping ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I am being facetious, but it really pisses me off when I am playing a point and suddenly, I get a grunt during a power shot from my opponent and lose my timing and ability to track the ball off auditory cues.

Sorry, but do you get distracted so quickly?? Ever participated in a tournament with more than 10 participants? ;)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
To hide the sound of their contact and throw off the opponent. Grunting should be banned, IMO.

I find it annoying too. It really isn't necessary to grunt. There are classical instrumentalists that really get physical with their playing,
and timing is really important, but they don't grunt. There are some that exhale too loudly though, and that kind of ruins the music.

For tennis, Federer was and still is a successful yet relatively quiet player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sorry, but do you get distracted so quickly?? Ever participated in a tournament with more than 10 participants? ;)

Sure. What's your point? That I can't be distracted by or should not be distracted by irregular behavior? If they want to grunt, grunt all the time including service.

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
Moaning,grunting and yelling do not distract me.I get distracted only by the player that cannot seem to get the ball back to you when the point is over, they are losing and it is your serve. They hit it under the table or way over your head or into the net several times. Its like they are having a tantrum. I have to regain my focus rather than telling them that they have hands with fingers so they can pick things up rather than swatting the ball randomly along the floor to get hung up under the table.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Sure. What's your point? That I can't be distracted by or should not be distracted by irregular behavior? If they want to grunt, grunt all the time including service.

Well my point is:

You can get distracted from whatever you like (personally it's none of my business), but in a big tournament there can be bigger distractions than a little grunt here and there...
[Emoji2]

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well my point is:

You can get distracted from whatever you like (personally it's none of my business), but in a big tournament there can be bigger distractions than a little grunt here and there...
[Emoji2]

Which is why pro players complain about camera flashes and loud noises. But seriously, it all depends on what you train against. Auditory cues are part of TT and having someone grunt out my cue to time the ball inconsistently has the effect of throwing me off when he does it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Ok. I was already a little worried if you could somehow be german, 'cause it sounded a little like those old chaps in my club, who just love complaining. They would love to hear an ant fart while playing... And some even give you a mean look for sneezing or coughing.... Almost like Statler & Waldorf (those two old dudes from the Muppet Show)

But I agree that acoustic information is definitely very important, that's also why I respect Thomas Keinath so much...

Personally i would try to ignore distractions, and rather focus on other things, especially if your opponent might know about that. But I must admit, it's not easy once it gets in your head, but like my jamaican friend would say:
Nah watch nuttin' man... ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok. I was already a little worried if you could somehow be german, 'cause it sounded a little like those old chaps in my club, who just love complaining. They would love to hear an ant fart while playing... And some even give you a mean look for sneezing or coughing.... Almost like Statler & Waldorf (those two old dudes from the Muppet Show)

But I agree that acoustic information is definitely very important, that's also why I respect Thomas Keinath so much...

Personally i would try to ignore distractions, and rather focus on other things, especially if your opponent might know about that. But I must admit, it's not easy once it gets in your head, but like my jamaican friend would say:
Nah watch nuttin' man... ;)

Nah. It is something I am working on but think about it. I have put a slow push to the middle of the table. I know the ball is weak but I have to be ready to defend. You load up for a power stroke. Up until this point, you haven't made a single noise. Then you torque into the ball and grunt out loud and I have lost my ability to figure out when you hit the ball with information I usually have.

I have considered grunting more in practice to be able to play such players on level terms. But if I grunt, I will be doing it tennis style.

says what [IMG]
How about deliberately playing against people who grunt so you can learn to deal with it, and in due time you won't even care?

It's a bit like driving in the rain for race car drivers: everyone hates it except the ones who are fast in the rain. Do you love it because you're fast in the rain, or do your become fast because you love it?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey, NL, I know I make audible sound when I loop, especially vs backspin. How come I didn't throw you off and you still gave me such a beat down?

Are you saying I need to make more noise when I loop? [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
How about deliberately playing against people who grunt so you can learn to deal with it, and in due time you won't even care?

It's a bit like driving in the rain for race car drivers: everyone hates it except the ones who are fast in the rain. Do you love it because you're fast in the rain, or do your become fast because you love it?

I play everyone. I am still allowed to have things that annoy me. I will still try to beat them. But I still get annoyed when everything has been silent then all of a sudden, I get a grunt on a third ball power loop out of nowhere. If it was something that made me lose matches all the time, I would take it more seriously. But I can be an animal when competing anyway (turn green and all that stuff). You don't want to play me when I turn green...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey, NL, I know I make audible sound when I loop, especially vs backspin. How come I didn't throw you off and you still gave me such a beat down?

Are you saying I need to make more noise when I loop? [emoji2]

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Maybe it is when the player grunts and hits the ball past me that I get annoyed. It is also quite possible that as I have tuned it out better as I have gotten better.