Coaching adults vs coaching kids

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Suga, then you may like this old match between two of my heroes as a kid.

Watching those guys brings back memories (my dad took me to see a team match with those guys when I was a kid). But also amazing how much more effective modern strokes are. Look at how straight Alser was standing! Johansson's backhand, with the top of the blade pointing straight up, was how I was taught to do it. Nobody should do it that way now.

Part of the reason they are not attacking the terrible long serves is they are playing an exhibition and want to get into good points. I hadn't noticed it before, but Johansson's forehand looks very much like Persson's. Ahead of its time for sure.

IMO, the speed is influenced by the lack of speed glue more than anything else. These guys could easily play at a very very high level with this technique. They aren't getting as much on the ball because of the equipment. And they don't look as large with their swings as these guys, the other Hungarians:

But even the modern Chinese players select some swings like these for certain balls, just with more body motion. nd the common trait again is that they have slightly slower rubbers on the forehand. But if these guys has a Tenergy, their strokes would shrink quickly. The whip is just excellent.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Could be. Those Hungarian guys were using speed glue in 1978 (probably right around the time they discovered the trick). Johansson and Alser definitely were not in 1970. The Hungarian's blades were probably a bit faster too. Johansson's forehand was really compact for his day -- actually quite modern looking compared to his contemporaries -- but he still hit it plenty hard. The Stiga blades from 1970 varied a lot from one to the other because they were made by hand, and thickness for the same model could vary much more than you would see now, but even so I doubt they were very fast as the blade Gergely was using.

Anyway, that is the era I learned to play in. I had to retool the backhand away from the way Johansson is hitting in that video (which I have partially done but it took long time). My own serves currently are pretty up-to-date, and it's kind of funny but I can't even remember how to hit those backhand serves we all used back then. However, my forehand still has some of the features of that era modified some by the fact that I use much faster equipment than we dreamed of in those days, which makes it a look a little better. I don't get anywhere near as much wrist snap as they teach now and I need to keep my follow through more compact. One coach used to always tell me, "make yourself smaller". Another thing I notice is that most of the players then, when they stepped around to hit a forehand loop, they didn't move as far as pros do now, so they don't get the same rip, the ball is still a little to close to their middle. Klampar was definitely better in that regard. Viktor Subonj has told me he thinks Klampar was really the first modern loop. By the mid 1980s, they were using all sorts of footwork drills to train the third ball attack.

Some beginning adult players come in with a tennis background. You kind of have to fix some of the same things with them (if you can, which is not always possible). Only with tennis players it is even more exaggerated.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well, I got a kick out of seeing such good footage of the old Hungarian players. Jonyer, Klampar, Gergely, man oh man. So much has changed but so fun to watch.

The equipment they might be using: The Butterfly Jonyer-H and the Butterfly Klampar-H are very similar. They are both thin, light, 5 ply Hinoki. I will have to measure my Klampar, but I think the Klampar and the Jonyer are both about 5mm. They are definitely the same thickness. The different plies are all the same thickness. The main differences between them are the handles and the head size/shape. The Klampar-H has a slightly larger head.

By modern standards they are slow. But when you loop with them they are still a pretty decent speed.

Hinoki is a very unique wood. Most blades you can simply list a speed category like Off-, but an all Hinoki blade usually has more of a range of speeds. These thin, flexy 5 ply Hinoki blades have more of a speed range than the more modern, thicker Hinoki 5 and 7 ply blades they make today.

A Jonyer-H and a Klampar-H blade have a speed range from turtle slow All/All- on direct impact to Off on loop contact. It is totally weird when you try one of those blades. But they feel amazing for looping. And this also means that on offensive shots that you would make flatter contact on, you are better off drive looping than really hitting flat.

Because of how Hinoki grabs the ball, the short game is very good on a Hinoki blade too.

Why have Hinoki blades gone out of fashion then??????

There is a reason and it is a decently large one. Hinoki absorbs sweat like no other wood. Straight through the handle into the blade. When that happens the blade starts playing really weird and mushy. This is also why the composite Hinoki blades are still okay but the pure Hinoki blades are rare to see at the highest level.

Also, a one ply Hinoki will not be as affected by this as the multiply Hinoki blades. However, the problem with the One Ply Hinoki blades is that the they can split in two very easily.

Anyway, speed glue + thin, flexy Hinoki blades. Or for Gergely, speed glue, plus a rocket ship Hinoki composite blade and amazing touch. [emoji2] Fun to watch. [emoji2]

I really enjoyed watching these old school players. So, thank you Baal.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSP sez I LUV it when a plan comes together... only if the shoulder will come together. :(

View attachment 12144

Oh noooo, Der is on that jazz!!! I pity the fool that comes between Der's jazz (easy there Carl! 'jazz' not what your pervy mind is thinking!) and my plan!