AI for Coaching - Tutorials, Guides, Instructions and more

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
And with self-added timestamps to the video:

Analysis of Table Tennis Backhand Flick Video with Timestamps​

This video offers a detailed look at performing the backhand flick in table tennis against side-spin serves from a left-handed opponent.

Key Points with Timestamps:

• 0:00-0:15 Introduction: The video title and coach are introduced, establishing the context of the lesson.
  • 0:15-0:30 Spin Recognition: The coach emphasizes the importance of identifying the spin of the incoming serve. He states that a left-handed player's side-spin serve has the same spin as a right-handed player using the same grip (shakehand).
  • 0:30-1:15 Timing and Placement: The coach recommends focusing on the descending phase of the ball, after its peak (around 0:45), and contacting the ball on its outer edge (away from the body). This maximizes control and power.
  • 1:15-2:00 Body and Hand Movement: The coach demonstrates the flick, highlighting the combined use of body and hand. He emphasizes keeping the wrist relatively firm (around 1:30) and using a "pushing" motion with the forearm and hand.
  • 2:00-2:25 Footwork: While not the video's primary focus, the coach demonstrates stepping slightly to the side with the left foot (around 2:10) for better balance and control.
  • 2:25-2:45 Progression: The coach starts with easier flicks against high bouncing balls (2:25-2:35), then progresses to faster serves with less bounce (2:35 onwards), requiring quicker reactions and precise timing.
  • 2:45-3:20 Slow-motion Replay: The coach utilizes slow-motion replays to visually emphasize key aspects of the technique, such as contact point and hand movement.
  • 3:20-4:50 Demonstration of Different Flicks: The coach continues demonstrating flicks against various serves, showing both successful and unsuccessful attempts, further reinforcing the learning points.
Coaching Tips:

• Start with basic drills: Begin with multi-ball or partner-fed side-spin balls to focus on technique before incorporating serve reading (entire video demonstrates this).
  • Pay attention to your contact point: Aim for the outer edge of the ball for control and spin (shown throughout, particularly clear in slow-motion replays).
  • Use a relaxed grip: Avoid gripping the racket too tightly for better feel and control (demonstrated by the coach).
  • Practice against different spins: Expand your practice to include various spins and speeds to improve reading and reaction skills (shown from 2:35 onwards).
  • Record yourself: Analyze your practice sessions to identify areas for improvement (not explicitly mentioned, but valuable advice).
Additional Observations:

• The video is in Chinese, but the visual demonstrations are clear and instructive.
  • The well-lit practice environment provides a clear view of the techniques.
By utilizing the timestamps and focusing on the specific details emphasized throughout the video, you can gain a deeper understanding of the backhand flick technique and apply it effectively in your own table tennis practice.

----
And when I asked him if he could tell me when the coach showed the moves himself:

The coach demonstrates the backhand flick himself at several points throughout the video:

• 2:25-2:35: He shows basic flicks against high, slower balls.
  • 2:35-3:20: He progresses to demonstrating flicks against faster serves with lower bounces, showcasing the adjustments needed for more challenging balls.
  • 3:20-4:50: He continues demonstrating flicks against various serves, illustrating both successful and unsuccessful attempts to further reinforce the teaching points.

---

Next, I wanna know how much he can actually process from the images.
Maybe technique, movement or something at least.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Another self-analyzed video with timestamped:

By "self" im talking about gemini, not me.

This was the prompt this time:
analyze this video, what they say, what they teach, how they do it and more, help me learn and get coached from this video, add timestamps to when he says and shows what, go into detail and consider everything

Analyzing the Table Tennis Forehand/Backhand Transition Coaching Video​

00:00-00:19: Introduction & The Importance of Transition Position

The coach emphasizes the critical role of proper positioning during the transition between forehand and backhand strokes. He highlights a common misunderstanding among players regarding the timing and location of the transition.

00:19-00:39: The Mistake: Transition After Recovery

The coach identifies a frequent mistake where players focus on recovering their hand to a "ready position" before initiating the transition. He demonstrates this by completing a stroke, recovering his hand close to his body, then moving it to the position required for the next shot. This, he explains, adds unnecessary steps and slows down the process.

00:39-01:19: The Solution: Transition During the Stroke

Instead of recovering first, the coach advocates for transitioning during the stroke itself. As soon as the ball is hit, the player should initiate the shift to the forehand or backhand position, seamlessly preparing for the next shot. This reduces the number of steps and creates a smoother, faster transition.

01:19-02:13: Demonstration of Efficient Transition

The coach demonstrates the efficient transition technique with both forehand and backhand strokes. He shows how the movement begins during the follow-through of the previous stroke, ensuring a fluid and continuous motion.

Key Points of the Demonstration:

• Transition starts during the follow-through: The shift begins as the previous stroke is ending, not after the hand has fully recovered.
  • Focus on the endpoint, not the hand: Instead of focusing on returning the hand to a specific ready position, the coach emphasizes moving directly to the position needed for the next shot.
  • Economy of movement: This technique minimizes unnecessary movements, saving valuable time and improving reaction speed.
02:13-03:10: Consequences of Inefficient Transition

The coach stresses the consequences of inefficient transitions in a match situation. He demonstrates how the additional steps can leave players struggling to keep up with the fast pace of the game, particularly when facing unpredictable shot placement.

03:10-End: Recap and Importance of Practice

The coach reiterates the importance of transitioning during the stroke and encourages viewers to practice this technique consistently. He emphasizes that mastering this skill will lead to smoother transitions, faster reactions, and ultimately, better performance on the table.

Additional Observations & Coaching Tips:

• Footwork: While the video focuses on hand movement, proper footwork is equally crucial for efficient transitions. Players should coordinate their footwork with the hand movement to achieve optimal positioning.
  • Anticipation: Developing the ability to read your opponent's movements and anticipate their shots can further enhance your transition speed.
  • Practice drills: Incorporate drills that specifically focus on forehand/backhand transitions, gradually increasing the speed and complexity to challenge yourself.
  • Shadow practice: Practice transitioning without a ball to ingrain the movement pattern and improve muscle memory.
By following the coach's instructions and practicing diligently, players can significantly improve their transition speed and overall table tennis skills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Now its getting more interesting with the video analysis and actual processing.
Might be a bit technical but in the future this could actually become more and more useful.

The 5 minute videos take about 100.000 tokens out of possible 1 million, so were good to go.

When I asked him:

"analyze his movements"

This was his output:

Overall Movement Philosophy:

The coach's movements embody the principle of efficiency and economy. He minimizes unnecessary actions and focuses on fluid, continuous motion. His technique prioritizes achieving the correct final position for the next shot rather than adhering to rigid recovery positions.

Specific Movement Breakdown:

1. Forehand Stroke:

• Backswing: The coach initiates the backswing by rotating his torso and shifting his weight to his back foot. His arm moves back naturally, with a relaxed elbow.
  • Forward Swing & Contact: He transfers his weight forward, rotating his hips and torso towards the target. The arm extends, making contact with the ball slightly in front of his body.
  • Follow-Through: The follow-through is a continuous motion, extending across his body and finishing near his left shoulder. Crucially, the transition begins here.
  • Transition to Backhand: As his arm reaches the end of the forehand follow-through, he simultaneously drops his wrist and turns his forearm inwards. This positions the racket face correctly for a backhand stroke, all while his body weight is already shifting back towards the center.
2. Backhand Stroke:

• Backswing: The coach's backswing starts with a slight step back with his right foot and a shift in weight. His arm moves back with a slightly bent elbow, keeping the racket close to his body.
  • Forward Swing & Contact: He steps forward with his left foot, transferring his weight and rotating his hips and torso. The contact point is again slightly in front of the body.
  • Follow-Through: The follow-through extends across his body, ending near his right shoulder. As with the forehand, the transition is initiated during this phase.
  • Transition to Forehand: During the backhand follow-through, he begins to supinate his forearm, turning the racket face upwards. He simultaneously steps forward with his right foot and begins to shift his weight forward, preparing for a forehand stroke.
Key Observations:

• Continuous Motion: There is no pause between strokes or during transitions. Every movement flows seamlessly into the next.
  • Weight Transfer: The coach utilizes effective weight transfer to generate power and maintain balance. His weight shifts from back foot to front foot on both forehand and backhand strokes, with a momentary central balance point during the transitions.
  • Body Rotation: Torso and hip rotation play a key role in generating power and directing the ball.
  • Relaxed Grip: The coach maintains a relaxed grip throughout, allowing for smooth racket manipulation and control.
Additional Notes:

• The video does not showcase the coach's footwork in detail. However, it can be inferred that his footwork would be coordinated with his hand movements to achieve optimal positioning for each stroke.
  • The coach's movements are likely adapted to his specific playing style and preferences. Players should develop their movements based on their own body mechanics and technique.
By carefully observing and analyzing the coach's movements, players can gain valuable insights into efficient stroke mechanics and transitions. Remember, the key is to practice consistently and personalize the techniques to suit your own playing style.

Then I said:

"show me with exact timestamps in the video where you analyze his technique",
and it gave me this:

While the video doesn't provide detailed close-ups of the coach's footwork, we can still observe key aspects of his technique and transitions through the demonstration:

Forehand Demonstration (Timestamps approximate due to video fluidity):

• 00:45-00:48: The coach performs a forehand stroke. Pay attention to the weight transfer from the back foot to the front foot during the swing.
  • 00:48-00:50: As he finishes the forehand follow-through, his body starts turning to the left, and his wrist begins to drop. This marks the start of the transition to backhand.
Backhand Demonstration:

• 00:51-00:53: The coach executes a backhand stroke. Observe the slight step back with his right foot and the weight shift during the backswing.
  • 00:53-00:55: During the backhand follow-through, his body starts turning to the right, and his forearm begins to supinate (turn upwards). This indicates the transition to the forehand position.
Additional Observations Throughout the Video:

• 01:44-02:13: While demonstrating the efficient two-step transition, notice how the coach's movements remain fluid and continuous, with no pauses between strokes.
  • 02:19-03:10: Observe how the coach struggles to keep up with the continuous backhand shots due to the inefficient four-step transition, emphasizing the importance of quick and seamless transitions.
  • 03:19-End: Throughout the final demonstration of efficient transitions, notice how the coach's racket remains in front of his body during the shift between forehand and backhand, optimizing his positioning for the next shot.
While footwork details are limited, the video provides valuable insight into the coach's overall technique and the principles of efficient transitions. By focusing on the elements highlighted above and applying them to your own practice, you can improve your table tennis skills and game performance.

Then I wanted captions with timestamps and it to say when he demonstrates a move.

Please note that timestamps are approximate due to the fluidity of the video and may vary slightly depending on the video version.

00:00-00:03
Coach:
(Speaking in Mandarin) This transition...

00:03-00:19
Coach:
...everyone needs to know, the transition point is located... actually, many of you misunderstand the transition and the recovery. What does this mean?

00:19-00:39
Coach:
Because everyone knows, after hitting the ball, you need to recover first and then move to the next shot's position. So many of you pay too much attention to the hand recovery after hitting the ball. So your logical order is like... (demonstrates hitting a forehand and recovering his hand close to his body) 1, 2, 3, 4. This includes the transition from forehand to backhand. (demonstrates hitting a backhand and recovering his hand close to his body) 1, 2, 3, 4.

00:39-01:19
Coach:
This is actually a very wrong action. Where is the mistake? Actually, many of you should know, you can transition right after hitting the ball. After hitting the ball, you can transition. So what does "after hitting" mean? Let's take a look.

01:19-02:13
Coach:
(demonstrates hitting a forehand) Have I finished hitting the ball now? (demonstrates hitting another forehand) Have I finished hitting the ball now? Including with my forehand... (demonstrates hitting a forehand and transitioning directly to a backhand ready position) Now it's finished, right? Your hitting action... 1, 2. I only need three steps from finishing the backhand to finishing the forehand. But if you do it like this... (demonstrates hitting a forehand, recovering his hand, and then moving to the backhand position) 1, 2, 3, 4.

02:13-03:10
Coach:
See, it's four steps. Because everyone knows, the speed of table tennis is designed to be 0.0-something seconds. Sometimes you miss the ball because of this 0.0-something seconds, not to mention our action taking such a large range of motion. You will definitely have problems. So everyone, you need to...

03:10-End
Coach:
...simplify your action structure. Look. (demonstrates hitting a forehand and transitioning smoothly to a backhand ready position) 1, 2. I'll do it slower, look. (demonstrates again) 1, 2. Everyone, look at my transition, where does my hand transition? 1, 2. Including the forehand to backhand, look. (demonstrates) 1, 2. Did you see it? 1, 2. That is to say, my transition point, the position of my racket, is definitely at the end of this hitting action, going out, at the end of this action. This is the starting point of the transition, the starting point of the transition. If I do it according to everyone's wrong approach... (demonstrates hitting a backhand, recovering his hand, and then moving to the forehand position) you won't make it, and that's with him serving slowly. What about at normal speed? Many friends are like this. This is still stationary. If you are in a match, facing some non-stationary balls, you habitually finish your backhand... (demonstrates struggling to keep up with continuous backhands) It will definitely be like this. You can't keep up, you simply can't keep up. So...

03:19-End
Coach:
...everyone, you need to transition your forehand and backhand in front of your body, not behind. Everyone knows, your hand transitions in front, your transition has space. If you all withdraw your hands after hitting... your hand is here, very close to your body. This way, your hand transition space is very small, and it's also very slow, and you can't keep up. And you're also one step behind others because you added this one action. (demonstrates efficient transitions with both forehand and backhand strokes) See, is the transition now smoother? Right? Including my current transition from forehand to backhand, everyone can see. (demonstrates several smooth transitions between forehand and backhand strokes) Now the transition is very smooth, right?

First of all, there are chinese captions in the videos, which makes it process them as well as the rest but,

My thoughts for now:

While the exact timing were not accurate, most of the time it was right about when the coach did a move.
It could tell when he was demonstrating something and when he wasnt.
The captions are pretty good, nothing that doesnt make sense.
( I obviously dont understand chinese, but from my experience with chinese translations and captions now, this is on the better side )

If anything, I found a way to translate chinese videos without needing much else for now.

Hope it doesnt bore you guys to death, but I find this thing interesting and promising.

Ive gone from:
translating -> copying transcript of the video -> prompting the AI -> getting the output
to:
downloading video -> uploading video -> prompting the AI -> getting the output

I will continue to experiment and update.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Now its getting more interesting with the video analysis and actual processing.
Might be a bit technical but in the future this could actually become more and more useful.

The 5 minute videos take about 100.000 tokens out of possible 1 million, so were good to go.

When I asked him:

"analyze his movements"

This was his output:

Overall Movement Philosophy:

The coach's movements embody the principle of efficiency and economy. He minimizes unnecessary actions and focuses on fluid, continuous motion. His technique prioritizes achieving the correct final position for the next shot rather than adhering to rigid recovery positions.

Specific Movement Breakdown:

1. Forehand Stroke:

• Backswing: The coach initiates the backswing by rotating his torso and shifting his weight to his back foot. His arm moves back naturally, with a relaxed elbow.
  • Forward Swing & Contact: He transfers his weight forward, rotating his hips and torso towards the target. The arm extends, making contact with the ball slightly in front of his body.
  • Follow-Through: The follow-through is a continuous motion, extending across his body and finishing near his left shoulder. Crucially, the transition begins here.
  • Transition to Backhand: As his arm reaches the end of the forehand follow-through, he simultaneously drops his wrist and turns his forearm inwards. This positions the racket face correctly for a backhand stroke, all while his body weight is already shifting back towards the center.
2. Backhand Stroke:

• Backswing: The coach's backswing starts with a slight step back with his right foot and a shift in weight. His arm moves back with a slightly bent elbow, keeping the racket close to his body.
  • Forward Swing & Contact: He steps forward with his left foot, transferring his weight and rotating his hips and torso. The contact point is again slightly in front of the body.
  • Follow-Through: The follow-through extends across his body, ending near his right shoulder. As with the forehand, the transition is initiated during this phase.
  • Transition to Forehand: During the backhand follow-through, he begins to supinate his forearm, turning the racket face upwards. He simultaneously steps forward with his right foot and begins to shift his weight forward, preparing for a forehand stroke.
Key Observations:

• Continuous Motion: There is no pause between strokes or during transitions. Every movement flows seamlessly into the next.
  • Weight Transfer: The coach utilizes effective weight transfer to generate power and maintain balance. His weight shifts from back foot to front foot on both forehand and backhand strokes, with a momentary central balance point during the transitions.
  • Body Rotation: Torso and hip rotation play a key role in generating power and directing the ball.
  • Relaxed Grip: The coach maintains a relaxed grip throughout, allowing for smooth racket manipulation and control.
Additional Notes:

• The video does not showcase the coach's footwork in detail. However, it can be inferred that his footwork would be coordinated with his hand movements to achieve optimal positioning for each stroke.
  • The coach's movements are likely adapted to his specific playing style and preferences. Players should develop their movements based on their own body mechanics and technique.
By carefully observing and analyzing the coach's movements, players can gain valuable insights into efficient stroke mechanics and transitions. Remember, the key is to practice consistently and personalize the techniques to suit your own playing style.

Then I said:

"show me with exact timestamps in the video where you analyze his technique",
and it gave me this:

While the video doesn't provide detailed close-ups of the coach's footwork, we can still observe key aspects of his technique and transitions through the demonstration:

Forehand Demonstration (Timestamps approximate due to video fluidity):

• 00:45-00:48: The coach performs a forehand stroke. Pay attention to the weight transfer from the back foot to the front foot during the swing.
  • 00:48-00:50: As he finishes the forehand follow-through, his body starts turning to the left, and his wrist begins to drop. This marks the start of the transition to backhand.
Backhand Demonstration:

• 00:51-00:53: The coach executes a backhand stroke. Observe the slight step back with his right foot and the weight shift during the backswing.
  • 00:53-00:55: During the backhand follow-through, his body starts turning to the right, and his forearm begins to supinate (turn upwards). This indicates the transition to the forehand position.
Additional Observations Throughout the Video:

• 01:44-02:13: While demonstrating the efficient two-step transition, notice how the coach's movements remain fluid and continuous, with no pauses between strokes.
  • 02:19-03:10: Observe how the coach struggles to keep up with the continuous backhand shots due to the inefficient four-step transition, emphasizing the importance of quick and seamless transitions.
  • 03:19-End: Throughout the final demonstration of efficient transitions, notice how the coach's racket remains in front of his body during the shift between forehand and backhand, optimizing his positioning for the next shot.
While footwork details are limited, the video provides valuable insight into the coach's overall technique and the principles of efficient transitions. By focusing on the elements highlighted above and applying them to your own practice, you can improve your table tennis skills and game performance.

Then I wanted captions with timestamps and it to say when he demonstrates a move.

Please note that timestamps are approximate due to the fluidity of the video and may vary slightly depending on the video version.

00:00-00:03
Coach:
(Speaking in Mandarin) This transition...

00:03-00:19
Coach:
...everyone needs to know, the transition point is located... actually, many of you misunderstand the transition and the recovery. What does this mean?

00:19-00:39
Coach:
Because everyone knows, after hitting the ball, you need to recover first and then move to the next shot's position. So many of you pay too much attention to the hand recovery after hitting the ball. So your logical order is like... (demonstrates hitting a forehand and recovering his hand close to his body) 1, 2, 3, 4. This includes the transition from forehand to backhand. (demonstrates hitting a backhand and recovering his hand close to his body) 1, 2, 3, 4.

00:39-01:19
Coach:
This is actually a very wrong action. Where is the mistake? Actually, many of you should know, you can transition right after hitting the ball. After hitting the ball, you can transition. So what does "after hitting" mean? Let's take a look.

01:19-02:13
Coach:
(demonstrates hitting a forehand) Have I finished hitting the ball now? (demonstrates hitting another forehand) Have I finished hitting the ball now? Including with my forehand... (demonstrates hitting a forehand and transitioning directly to a backhand ready position) Now it's finished, right? Your hitting action... 1, 2. I only need three steps from finishing the backhand to finishing the forehand. But if you do it like this... (demonstrates hitting a forehand, recovering his hand, and then moving to the backhand position) 1, 2, 3, 4.

02:13-03:10
Coach:
See, it's four steps. Because everyone knows, the speed of table tennis is designed to be 0.0-something seconds. Sometimes you miss the ball because of this 0.0-something seconds, not to mention our action taking such a large range of motion. You will definitely have problems. So everyone, you need to...

03:10-End
Coach:
...simplify your action structure. Look. (demonstrates hitting a forehand and transitioning smoothly to a backhand ready position) 1, 2. I'll do it slower, look. (demonstrates again) 1, 2. Everyone, look at my transition, where does my hand transition? 1, 2. Including the forehand to backhand, look. (demonstrates) 1, 2. Did you see it? 1, 2. That is to say, my transition point, the position of my racket, is definitely at the end of this hitting action, going out, at the end of this action. This is the starting point of the transition, the starting point of the transition. If I do it according to everyone's wrong approach... (demonstrates hitting a backhand, recovering his hand, and then moving to the forehand position) you won't make it, and that's with him serving slowly. What about at normal speed? Many friends are like this. This is still stationary. If you are in a match, facing some non-stationary balls, you habitually finish your backhand... (demonstrates struggling to keep up with continuous backhands) It will definitely be like this. You can't keep up, you simply can't keep up. So...

03:19-End
Coach:
...everyone, you need to transition your forehand and backhand in front of your body, not behind. Everyone knows, your hand transitions in front, your transition has space. If you all withdraw your hands after hitting... your hand is here, very close to your body. This way, your hand transition space is very small, and it's also very slow, and you can't keep up. And you're also one step behind others because you added this one action. (demonstrates efficient transitions with both forehand and backhand strokes) See, is the transition now smoother? Right? Including my current transition from forehand to backhand, everyone can see. (demonstrates several smooth transitions between forehand and backhand strokes) Now the transition is very smooth, right?

First of all, there are chinese captions in the videos, which makes it process them as well as the rest but,

My thoughts for now:

While the exact timing were not accurate, most of the time it was right about when the coach did a move.
It could tell when he was demonstrating something and when he wasnt.
The captions are pretty good, nothing that doesnt make sense.
( I obviously dont understand chinese, but from my experience with chinese translations and captions now, this is on the better side )

If anything, I found a way to translate chinese videos without needing much else for now.

Hope it doesnt bore you guys to death, but I find this thing interesting and promising.

Ive gone from:
translating -> copying transcript of the video -> prompting the AI -> getting the output
to:
downloading video -> uploading video -> prompting the AI -> getting the output

I will continue to experiment and update.
Nice jobs. Why there is no videos in some of the posts?