Off ++ blade inspiration

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Hi... I just got opportunity to design a really fast blade for one Bundesliga top team (which I do not now name because the dealer do not want me to tell for some reasons ). The background story is that they are forced to use plastic balls and with current setups they are slow. They searching for something extremely fast off++ with good control. Balsa core is not a option.
So my question is... Can you guys give some off++ blade names with weight under 90 grams so I can get some inspirations in materials...
Thanks

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The real secret to the Photino, the Primorac Carbon and the Schlager Carbon is the top ply.

Butterfly Photino: hinoki-zylon-kiri-zylon-hinoki

Butterfly Primorac Carbon: cypress - carbon laminate - kiri - carbon laminate - cypress

Butterfly Schlager Carbon: cypress - carbon laminate - balsa - carbon laminate - cypress

Cypress and Hinoki are very close. They are very light. They grab the ball amazingly well and help you generate a ton of spin but they are still very fast: ESPECIALLY if you are using SPIN contact. So these blades are impressively fast. But they actually have pretty decent control for how fast they are.

I know I like slower blades but I have no trouble controlling these blades and I can feel part of the reason is the unique qualities of the Cypress and/or Hinoki top plies.

I am not sure what these would play like if the core was Hinoki or Cypress too. But my guess is that the Photino and the Primorac Carbon (the two with Kiri cores would be lighter and faster. But they may not feel as solid.

You can also look at the Gergly blades as well:

Butterfly Gergely Alpha: cypress - carbon laminate - kiri - carbon laminate - cypress

Butterfly Gergely Tamca 5000:cypress-carbon laminate-balsa-carbon laminate-cypress 7.0mm

The Butterfly Sardius also uses this same basic ply construction. I think the Sardius is like the Schlager and Gergely T5000 using a Balsa core.

But since your player doesn't want Balsa, and I agree with that, you could try Kiri, Ayous and Cypress (or Hinoki) as the core to test.

Butterfly Garaydia ZLC: Thick Hinoki Outer Ply, ZL Carbon, Thick Balsa Center Ply, ZL Carbon, Thick Hinoki Outer Ply

The Garaydia series is the update of the above blades most of which Butterfly no longer makes.

If I was you I would make a few experimental blades to try and see what the player likes best.

I am not sure if you would have access to Hinoki and I am not sure it plays that differently than Cypress. So, I would try things like this:

1) Cypress-ZLC-Kiri-ZLC-Cypress

2) Cypress-ALC-Kiri-ALC-Cypress

3) Cypress-Carbon Laminate-Kiri-Carbon Laminate-Cypress

You can also try any of the above combinations with an Ayous core or a Cypress core. Use your judgement as a blade maker which composite layer to try first and which core you are most interested in testing.

Your blades look awesome and you know what you are doing. So hopefully that gives you enough info to help.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
The real secret to the Photino, the Primorac Carbon and the Schlager Carbon is the top ply.

Butterfly Photino: hinoki-zylon-kiri-zylon-hinoki

Butterfly Primorac Carbon: cypress - carbon laminate - kiri - carbon laminate - cypress

Butterfly Schlager Carbon: cypress - carbon laminate - balsa - carbon laminate - cypress

Cypress and Hinoki are very close. They are very light. They grab the ball amazingly well and help you generate a ton of spin but they are still very fast: ESPECIALLY if you are using SPIN contact. So these blades are impressively fast. But they actually have pretty decent control for how fast they are.

I know I like slower blades but I have no trouble controlling these blades and I can feel part of the reason is the unique qualities of the Cypress and/or Hinoki top plies.

I am not sure what these would play like if the core was Hinoki or Cypress too. But my guess is that the Photino and the Primorac Carbon (the two with Kiri cores would be lighter and faster. But they may not feel as solid.

You can also look at the Gergly blades as well:

Butterfly Gergely Alpha: cypress - carbon laminate - kiri - carbon laminate - cypress

Butterfly Gergely Tamca 5000:cypress-carbon laminate-balsa-carbon laminate-cypress 7.0mm

The Butterfly Sardius also uses this same basic ply construction. I think the Sardius is like the Schlager and Gergely T5000 using a Balsa core.

But since your player doesn't want Balsa, and I agree with that, you could try Kiri, Ayous and Cypress (or Hinoki) as the core to test.

Butterfly Garaydia ZLC: Thick Hinoki Outer Ply, ZL Carbon, Thick Balsa Center Ply, ZL Carbon, Thick Hinoki Outer Ply

The Garaydia series is the update of the above blades most of which Butterfly no longer makes.

If I was you I would make a few experimental blades to try and see what the player likes best.

I am not sure if you would have access to Hinoki and I am not sure it plays that differently than Cypress. So, I would try things like this:

1) Cypress-ZLC-Kiri-ZLC-Cypress

2) Cypress-ALC-Kiri-ALC-Cypress

3) Cypress-Carbon Laminate-Kiri-Carbon Laminate-Cypress

You can also try any of the above combinations with an Ayous core or a Cypress core. Use your judgement as a blade maker which composite layer to try first and which core you are most interested in testing.

Your blades look awesome and you know what you are doing. So hopefully that gives you enough info to help.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
Interesting suggestion.... I have to analise this .... Realy appreciate.

This user has no status.
I forgot the name of Nexy challenge of World Fastest Blade. Summon Der Echte. You can start from there. [emoji6]
Hi... I just got opportunity to design a really fast blade for one Bundesliga top team (which I do not now name because the dealer do not want me to tell for some reasons ). The background story is that they are forced to use plastic balls and with current setups they are slow. They searching for something extremely fast off++ with good control. Balsa core is not a option.
So my question is... Can you guys give some off++ blade names with weight under 90 grams so I can get some inspirations in materials...
Thanks

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Yups. [emoji6]

It came to, fast loop, or fast drive?.
Oh wait, I still remember when I used 05 in my FH the speed on both strokes is almost the same as Timo ALC considering that it is an Innerforce style blade regarding why I said it's slow is becasue I used faster blades before Akrasia

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
You can look into the Hurricane Long 5. It is categorized as OFF ++.

What makes this blade amazing is the control. On slow and soft contacts, the blade behaves more like an OFF- with tons of control and relatively slow speed (for a carbon blade). On large and more powerful swings, the power and speed of your shots can match that of JM ZLC while still retaining the same level of control. The only real Con is that you require more effort and energy to match shots made by JM ZLC and TB ALC but the level of control you possess is worth it. Since you are designing one for a top level player, I doubt he will have any problems. I personally believe this is possible due to the amount of energy transfered when making shots. Unlike most carbon blades by Butterfly, you can transfer a lot of energy before the ball leaves the blade (even on fast and hard contacts).

Other fast blades to consider
JM SLZC
JM SLZ
Hurricane long 3

PS from an EX EJ.
Kiri is a really excellent core for composite blades. Its solid, stable and with all round characteristics while not being too hard. Ayous is my fav core especially on an all wood blade. However after trying out other carbon blades with ayous core, i still think Kiri is a better choice for carbon blade. When the ball contacts the blade, you can feel it penetrate all the way to the carbon layer which is usually harder than the wood layer, when the vibrations reach the core, ayous is just too soft to absorb and provide adequate support for the vibrations, making the blade more unstable. Thus in a composite blade with kiri core, i usually can perform more powerful shots (Assuming all other things being equal)

Flies away before trolls arrive with their singular mindset, unable to accept other people's opinion.

Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
I have made a replica of the long 5 (unfortunately i can not get hands on the light aramid carbon ) and it is a beast ... Due the weight (100 grams) it has landed as my first blade now. They did not like then weight ... (because they are using freaking heavy rubbers )
So now i have another challenge to get it under 90 grams....
Second blade and third blade which i just finished i get on 93 and 95 grams ... so i`m coming down ;-)
And yes i`m going with Ayus core ... the most dynamic one . and i found spruce has great power with good weight ... top ply it will be limba because of the weight (koto is faster but heavier ) and i will change the aramidcarbon for only carbon .... huge weight difference. Kiri looks ok but i`m unable to find good source ... this is why i was replacing it with Red cedar ... which is good core very stable but it does not have this kick of ayous. Red cedar is good in combination with thin layer of balsa... but then we go in more thickness. and so .....
We will see ... but i think i`m going the right way.....

You can look into the Hurricane Long 5. It is categorized as OFF ++.

What makes this blade amazing is the control. On slow and soft contacts, the blade behaves more like an OFF- with tons of control and relatively slow speed (for a carbon blade). On large and more powerful swings, the power and speed of your shots can match that of JM ZLC while still retaining the same level of control. The only real Con is that you require more effort and energy to match shots made by JM ZLC and TB ALC but the level of control you possess is worth it. Since you are designing one for a top level player, I doubt he will have any problems. I personally believe this is possible due to the amount of energy transfered when making shots. Unlike most carbon blades by Butterfly, you can transfer a lot of energy before the ball leaves the blade (even on fast and hard contacts).

Other fast blades to consider
JM SLZC
JM SLZ
Hurricane long 3

PS from an EX EJ.
Kiri is a really excellent core for composite blades. Its solid, stable and with all round characteristics while not being too hard. Ayous is my fav core especially on an all wood blade. However after trying out other carbon blades with ayous core, i still think Kiri is a better choice for carbon blade. When the ball contacts the blade, you can feel it penetrate all the way to the carbon layer which is usually harder than the wood layer, when the vibrations reach the core, ayous is just too soft to absorb and provide adequate support for the vibrations, making the blade more unstable. Thus in a composite blade with kiri core, i usually can perform more powerful shots (Assuming all other things being equal)

Flies away before trolls arrive with their singular mindset, unable to accept other people's opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
I have made a replica of the long 5 (unfortunately i can not get hands on the light aramid carbon ) and it is a beast ... Due the weight (100 grams) it has landed as my first blade now. They did not like then weight ... (because they are using freaking heavy rubbers )
So now i have another challenge to get it under 90 grams....
Second blade and third blade which i just finished i get on 93 and 95 grams ... so i`m coming down ;-)
And yes i`m going with Ayus core ... the most dynamic one . and i found spruce has great power with good weight ... top ply it will be limba because of the weight (koto is faster but heavier ) and i will change the aramidcarbon for only carbon .... huge weight difference. Kiri looks ok but i`m unable to find good source ... this is why i was replacing it with Red cedar ... which is good core very stable but it does not have this kick of ayous. Red cedar is good in combination with thin layer of balsa... but then we go in more thickness. and so .....
We will see ... but i think i`m going the right way.....

Good luck and all the best! Remember to share lots of pictures including those which was rejected by the customer. As always your blades are a work of art

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
what would happen if you used a double layer of spruce? Would it be like really bouncy?

This user has no status.
Ayous is harder then kiri, so the 'softness' can't be the reason for the lack of control.

You're right. Let me rephrase my point, the ayous is not as stiff/ stable ? than the Kiri core. Im not sure how to properly explain it but with a Kiri core, I tend to get more consistent, stable and control shots. Plus i find the vibrations or is it feeling of the blade to be reduced when using Kiri.

Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Good luck and all the best! Remember to share lots of pictures including those which was rejected by the customer. As always your blades are a work of art
I do not have many.... But here is the first 100 grams off++ ma long 5 version. 20170215_163434.jpg
Here is second 85 grams.
Off+ to off++
20170215_163516.jpg
and here is bunch of blades where the left ones are for test.... The right three are balsa variations for different customer.
20170305_200814.jpg

Last edited: