This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2024
Hi all - I could use some advice on a new setup. I've been playing for about 2-3 years, but over the past 6 months I finally started taking lessons (though only sporadically--1 a week at best). I'm rated roughly 1400 in the USATT system. I am learning to be a more offensive player, though if I'm honest at the moment I'm more of a defensive/all-round player. I'll attack when the opportunity arises, but my defense is currently better than my offense.

Ever since I started, I've been using a cheap DHS 4002C blade. It came from a pre-made setup and I just ripped the rubber off (with much effort...). I have been using Tenergy 05 on the forehand and Bluestorm Z3 on the backhand. I suspect that the Tenergy 05 is too fast for me. I send topspin shots long off the table regularly, even when I feel like my form is otherwise good. I would like to upgrade my blade and change my rubbers to something that will be easier for me to control so I can continue working on my form.

I would welcome any input on what setups to consider. My coach suggested a Viscaria with Glayzer rubber. While I'm inclined to trust my coach, based on reviews online, I worry the Viscaria might still be too fast for me. Because of that, I've also been looking at the Primorac, though I have no idea what rubbers to pair that with. Let me know what you think!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
If you’re getting coaching and are around USATT 1400, you could probably learn to handle Viscaria + Glayzer. Or try Glazyer 09c - most people complain it’s way too slow, but maybe that’s a good thing in this case. Alternatively, the Primorac sounds good, or even a Korbel. The Korbel I think ends up more head-heavy due to the larger head size. I’ve also heard (but have not used) Fastarc G1 is less bouncy than T05. I also really like Victas V20 Double Extra for the forehand. It’s a bit hard for the backhand at that level.

Reactions: sk8uno
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi all - I could use some advice on a new setup. I've been playing for about 2-3 years, but over the past 6 months I finally started taking lessons (though only sporadically--1 a week at best). I'm rated roughly 1400 in the USATT system. I am learning to be a more offensive player, though if I'm honest at the moment I'm more of a defensive/all-round player. I'll attack when the opportunity arises, but my defense is currently better than my offense.

Ever since I started, I've been using a cheap DHS 4002C blade. It came from a pre-made setup and I just ripped the rubber off (with much effort...). I have been using Tenergy 05 on the forehand and Bluestorm Z3 on the backhand. I suspect that the Tenergy 05 is too fast for me. I send topspin shots long off the table regularly, even when I feel like my form is otherwise good. I would like to upgrade my blade and change my rubbers to something that will be easier for me to control so I can continue working on my form.

I would welcome any input on what setups to consider. My coach suggested a Viscaria with Glayzer rubber. While I'm inclined to trust my coach, based on reviews online, I worry the Viscaria might still be too fast for me. Because of that, I've also been looking at the Primorac, though I have no idea what rubbers to pair that with. Let me know what you think!
Big Dipper on FH, and Moon 12 on BH! Very nice, controllable setup for you.

If you want a cheaper Viscaria, use Sanwei 75.

Reactions: riemsesy and sk8uno

Tenergy05 is the problem here. It could be good to restart your entire experience. I recommend a Yasaka Sweden Extra. Then for rubbers.
Start with Mark V. It’s gonna be slow, but you are getting a chance to rebuild what Tenergy 05 has destroyed. After the Mark V is finished change to Rakza 7.

Edit: A cheaper rubber would be Neottec Katana (not too differen from Mark V)

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Reactions: ben1229 and sk8uno
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011

While Primorac would be fine, if you have a coach just follow what he recommends. It's not a ridiculously fast setup, it'll be good enough to learn. You should be looking for improvements in your technique, not improvement in game results right now.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You do not need ridiculous money for bat, get anything wood all+ to OFF that fits your hand.

The bat in my sig... blade is under $30 USD and is well suited for a beginner or advanced player.

It doesn't need to be over complicated. try for softer control oriented modern rubber MED firm at the hardest, soft if you can still do it.

Reactions: riemsesy and sk8uno
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2022
I played for two years with a viscaria type blade. I switched back to an all wood blade 6 months ago, and i progressed a lot faster since then. And i have more fun.

All wood blade give you more feedback and vibration. You have a better feel and more control.

My advice to you is to select a good 5 ply wood and play with it for a year or two. Fastarc G-1 might be a good choice. And it last a long time.

Reactions: sk8uno and riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I played for two years with a viscaria type blade. I switched back to an all wood blade 6 months ago, and i progressed a lot faster since then. And i have more fun.

All wood blade give you more feedback and vibration. You have a better feel and more control.

My advice to you is to select a good 5 ply wood and play with it for a year or two. Fastarc G-1 might be a good choice. And it last a long time.
I think feel is a better reason to choose wood over composite than speed. Alternatively you can also go for a composite blade with good feel like the HL5 series. Feel lets you know if you hit a shot right, whether it lands on the table or not. Viscaria to me at least feels very muted for all except the hardest shots.

This user has no status.
A good start is half the battle.
Suggest using Stiga's Pure Wood, CLCR, which will take you from 1400 all the way up to 2400 at least!
Double sided Rozena can be used to establish a similar feel to the T05 and is cheaper.
双面 Rozena 可用于建立与 T05 相似的感觉,并且更便宜。
1705454363164.png

1705454396206.png

Reactions: mikeytt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Yasaka malin soft carbon/carbon/ fzd alc, nittaku G 1 both sides, for slower game or training choose one inner carbon blade, very close feel to wood blade. Malin carbon/soft carbon + 2 G 1=120, fzd alc +2 G 1=220. But all those are dependent on your age and physical condition.