Pips in V/S pips out

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I'm not familiar with the ranking levels of play in America xD. But 90% is crazy, and I do agree that that might make new players quit the sport. Something there has to happen that makes people with inverted on both sides use their advantages against pips players, so the amount of pips players would lower automatically when they don't win with it anymore. But it is a situation I have never seen or been in, so it's hard to judge for me.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Wow..80-90% pips!! For a beginner using inverted rubbers it's almost impossible to have practice strokes. Unless they're just lifting the balls over the net, but then again, that's not stroke. I always advice the kids, learn with inverted rubbers 1st, then if they wish, they may go to pips rubber later (when they're a lot better). They need to know the fundamentals 1st.

This user has no status.
Wow funny how everyone misreads into my posts. Okay here's the definition of skill:

1. ability to do something well: the ability to do something well, usually gained through training or experience
2. something requiring training to do well: something that requires training and experience to do well, e.g. an art or trade

I've played with pips. I've played short and long pips and have beaten players who use inverted at the 2200+ rating in the U.S. I'm currently at 1061 or something to that nature, but I beat 1800+ players with my inverted setup.

Twiddling doesn't take skill because my students at there first day of training were able to do it even before I showed them how to hold a paddle shakehand. So I don't know what you're saying there. They do it involuntarily so I don't see how it can be said that it's a technique that requires skill because according to the definition they have not trained to do it they were just naturally able to do it. And no my students have never played a day of Table Tennis before I started teach them because they had never been opened to it.

Well, the twiddling action in itself is quite easy, but twiddling in a match situation using two different rubbers is something else: it is a skill. First your twiddling action needs to be quick enough, you need to take in account the technique required to use both rubbers on both sides and you need to remember which rubber is on which side (you're twiddling more than once during a rally) and all this during one rally. This probably all seems easy when using inverted on both sides, because their characteristics are more alike, but when using two totally different rubbers: not easy.

I don't know exactly where Lorre is getting at. The whole point about my post had he read the full thread was that people like to complain about pips. I live in Lancaster, PA where we are a predominantly Long Pips area. Everyone here plays with pips either short or Long and they're all rated above the 2000 mark. I'm only rated at 1061 because I had a bad tournament against some players I've never played against from Maryland who had some very unique styles. I'll hope to attend a tournament shortly here and maybe my rating will go up. Come down to any of our Lancaster clubs if you're in the area I'd love to play any of you.

I've had about a dozen players from Penn State who switched to pips because of the clear advantage it gave them. They need only know how to hit off the bounce or chop block and they're able to beat many players at the clubs around our area.

If you read the final sentence of my post, you'll see where I'm getting at and you'll see I respond quite directly to the whole point you're trying make in your posts.
My other remarks on the content of your posts is just to let you see how wrong some of your opinions are. What I find strange is not that you have (wrong) opinions about pips, but that you don't change your opinion when someone who is experienced with pips corrects you (i.e. me or some of the other 80-90% pip players in the area). It's like saying when you have a cold: it is caused by a virus, but when you consult your doctor he says it is caused by a bacteria. You don't believe him and still state it is caused by a virus. Now, who's probably right? You or the one who has studied as a doctor for many years? I'm not stating I studied for playing pips :D, but I'm experienced with using them andknow what I'm talking about (off course not at a fully detailed level of a Joo or a Chen).

On the topic of athleticism. Do you think that Joo Se Hyuk or Chen Weixing run less than the Inverted players they play against throughout the match?

To everything that Lorre said about deception and athleticism vs technique and skill you're subjectively stating that in one instance this happens and that happens, but to an overall match for hit for hit the stats don't lie. Joo runs more and uses the pips more in his hits. The inverted players that beat them run less and loop more.

It's not because player A runs 10km and player B runs 5km, that one of the two isn't athletic: both are. Your stats are correct and they only indicate that player A is more athletic than player B, but not that player A is athletic and player B is not.

And finally I'd like to end with your personal experiences. How many players have you coached and opened to the Table Tennis world? How many have quit because they played some pips players who did not to coach them on what to do to beat them. How many tournaments have you gone to where there aren't players who are upset by someone using a deceptive rubber.

I'm not a trainer because I'm frankly too young to this is in a good way (I'm still learning myself and that takes a lot of training time), but I train quite often against the (little) kids. If they are newbies, I just use my inverted to let them appreciate the sport. If they are already more advanced, I use my pips and see what they do right and what they do wrong. If they are interested (some are), I'll correct them.
I never have someone quit the sport due to my pips and many young players are interested in how I play (i.e. modern defense).
ATM I play in a atmosphere that is against pips. They say people using pips are cheaters or that they don't get beyond a certain level. This is also told to the kids. Some of them, including me, get an insult once and a while. This is told in presence of the kids. Now imagine how it feels for such a kid seeing the player who's constantly rising in level, who's always prepared to train with them and who's a training beast, using pips. Some will feel attracted to pips (so in a way pip haters create pip users:p), others will dislike it. But both group aren't getting the correct incentive: they are attracted or repulsed by the fact that I'm still rising (an emotional argument), while the decision of using pips must be made rational (is this person suitable for using pips?).
I regularly visit tournaments and when I was in the lower grades, there was really hatred against pips. One reason only: they don't understand what pips do and are helpless when playing against them. Now I'm in the middle and higher levels, most of this hatred disappeared. One reason only: the players understand what a pip does and when defeated, they are defeated by a better player, not his material.

I'll go first:

I started playing Table Tennis in 2003. Never heard about the sport and had never seen it being played properly until the week after I first encountered it. Once I saw I was hooked. At the time we had 10 members in our club with 3 rated players at the 1300+ rating level our best player was around 1600.

In 2004 I became the president and grew the club to 35 weekly members playing several days a week and using our rating system based off a starting rating of 1000.

Took a couple years off from school and it became inactive until 2007 when I started it back up again this time growing it to 65 weekly members playing in our rated matches and also playing against 3 other schools in the area. It wasn't until 2008 when we started attending better clubs that players started learning about pips. We had 3-4 players switch to the frictionless pips at the time and they were beating everyone at which point the following semester we had all but 15-20 players continuing to play in our rated matches and playing against the 3 other schools.

I went on to University Park where I was coached under Hank McCoulum and learned quite a lot from the team and club in general. That's when I really started studying about the science of the sport. Finally I went on to create my own club at the beginning of this year where we're currently at about 12 regulars each week and have had about 12-16 coming to our monthly amateur tournaments.

Now I don't know what your personal experiences are, but each and every time I introduce players to a club that predominantly uses pips and the atmosphere doesn't allow them to learn properly how to beat them they quit. There's no room for growth. I believe that players should learn how to play against pips players because I personally have learned how to beat pips players, but to say that it doesn't stagnate the growth of the sport is pretty naive.

If you hear about people complaining about pips then that in itself produces a negative connotation towards the sport hence creating poor growth.

Being a president of a club after one year and beating 1800 inverted players and 2200+ inverted players when using non-inverted rubbers while just being above 1000? Then there's really (1) something wrong with the rating system you're playing in, (2) you're a huge underrated player and very capable person or (3) there are only average players in your area and thereby all are able to beat all.
In your personal experiences it stagnates the sport, but isn't that a part your own fault? If I have to believe what you say (what I unevitably do), you're able to beat pip players, but you don't learn your own or other youngsters how to beat them? No, you have to create more hatred by creating an own only inverted league, because that's what you'll be doing: creating more hatred towards each other. And you don't help the youngsters either, because they don't learn how to play pips in that only inverted league.
Why not create a school designed to learn how to play against non-inverted players? Both youngsters and non-inverted players in one place, understanding each other, learning from each other and getting to appreciate each other. The once 80%-90% pip players in the area will significantly go down and only the good pip users will survive. Problem solved!:D

In Europe look at the pips players there. Do any of them improve their technique because they'd like to have the success that Joo has had? Personally I'd say no. Just watch the ETTC womans matches and you can clearly see how low the level of pips players is, but yet they're still able to compete at the level of some of the top Euro women.

I live in Europe and I'm improving my technique...:eek:
Did you ever see someone like Ivancan or Pavlovich competing? They are European, you know.:) Why wouldn't their level be at the top of the Euro women?
BTW, now you're stating pip players can improve their technique. So now pips players do have technique?

Again I have never said that people shouldn't have the right to use pips. On the contrary I don't believe anything should be banned because it just makes players angrier. Personally I believe that pips may require a different technique and even a different set of skills but I don't believe it requires more skill and technique than that of the aggressive inverted players say in the top 20 rankings.

Now pip players have technique and skill? Strange, reading your other posts. I never stated we have more or less technique and skill than an inverted player: we both have different techniques and skills that are equal in value.

The reason being all you'd have to do is watch the Joo vs Chen matches and they never loop each others pips balls they hit with their own pips. I don't mean to offend anyone by this post, but I just want to point out that pips are considered by the majority of players out there as a negative out look on the sport. And until people stop complaining about them they'll never be anything but negative to the sport.

So if everyone pays taxes to their local governments and if I'm not mistaken, most of the people complain about those taxes, then they are negative for the society? Maybe the players who complain about pips, should learn how to deal with them by going to your school. Then the negative effect you mention also will disappear. You will bring the two groups closer together by making them understand each other.

Inverted can do everything that the pips can do, but you just have to learn how to use them. So for everything you're saying about how I have to learn how to beat pips players with inverted why can't I say the same thing to the pips players? Why can't they learn how to play inverted and beat players who use pips?

It's true that inverted can do what pips can do, but it is nearly impossible for human beings to do it with the current speed and spin (e.g. creating a no-spin ball).
You're saying you're able to beat pip players: if I'm not mistaken, I never told you to learn how to beat pip players with inverted. I only made it clear a lot of your opinions about pips are incorrect.
You can't say that to them because they've chosen freely to use pips. You've chosen freely inverted as your basic setup and you're the one complaining about pip players. We pip players say: deal with it, whatever your problem is you're experiencing with pip players (in your case: they are negative to the sport because they don't want inverted players to learn how to beat them - they just want to win). I present you another solution for your problem, which is in part a real problem. Open a bounding school instead of a seperating league. Your opinions about pips are, however, totally incorrect. Ask someone who's willing to teach you something about pips and who's experienced in using them for advise and listen to what he/she says.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
@Lorre

I don't think Mr.RicharD's point was against pips. He said that he doesn't mind playing against them.
I agree with u on what u said about teaching the new players. When you lead practise sessions you should raise them with inverted on 2 sides I believe, and when they later find out they prefer pips, no problem. The situation that 80+% of the players use pips seems to come from a massive early choice for pips among players. Seems hard to turn that back, but it is a great challenge for u and ur club to prove those people wrong Richard :D

Pips players are a welcome diversity to the sport, but on the scale it's happening in his area it went too far I think.

This user has no status.
@ Wiwa - our level of play is fairly high we have several inverted players in the area who are all above the 2000 rating level. Our Long Pips percentage is probably a good 80-90 percent in the area comprising of over 40 players that I can think of atm. None of our players are choppers. Most are all chop blockers on the BH or some even like to attack with the Mccafee side spin shot. Then we have a couple Anti/LP players (they switch every so often) that all trained under Dan Seemiller perhaps the most famous of Anti Players.

I find choppers to be the most athletic players in our sport. They are all about consistency and crazy reflexes. However the problem with Long Pips is that there's no system in place to actually teach how to use it. If you pay attention to the players who are most popularly using the LP they all have different techniques that work for them. Because of this it's rather hard to judge the technique of a player when in reality they don't have any. Typically it'll become a chop fest from weird angles. Some chop with the forehand some chop with the back and they all look so different.

Well, that's a problem pip players face: there's no school to teach it from. But that's a problem pip players need to solve, don't they?;) But off course, if you're willing to work on a solution about this problem, I'm happy to contribute to it.
On the other hand: doesn't each inverted user also have a unique and individual style? Each inverted player plays different and their loops and pushes also vary. it's not always easy for a pip player to accomodate to that. So what you're describing isn't only experienced by inverted players playing non-inverted players, but also non-inverted players playing inverted players, inverted players playing inverted players and non-inverted players playing non-inverted players. It is in other words the spice of life: variation among individuals.
Btw, I don't appreciate your statement below the belt (i.e. pip players don't have any technique). It also makes clear you contradict yourself once again in comparison with your previous post where pip players had a different technique and skill.

I personally don't have any problems with the LP players here because I play them so much. But the problem lies with the fact that new players in our area or anywhere where there's a high percentage of pips players will be less inclined to take up the sport. It's not exciting to watch chop blockers. I get so many comments from people at the rec center that I started my club in about why we need to take up so much space. No one realizes that the playing area isn't confined to just the area of the table, but of about a 20x20 foot court on both sides of the table.

@ matt - I agree with you there. I think that pips are rather cool and they make for a fun game to watch when you have an attacker and a chopper. It's just the majority of players out there do not strive to learn the technique that players like Chen and Joo use. They typically end up looking like Olivier Mader or even John Wetzler who's a 2200 rated player around where I live. He goes to our club and tbh I find it so annoying that someone who can hit so well with his forehand refuses to learn how to hit just as well with his backhand.

Our short pips players don't chop either. They are all about smashing off the bounce. Inverted would definitely never allow them to do that. It's because of these facts that I argue that Pips require less skill than inverted. The way I posted my argument I think has offended some people because it was a bit brash. I meant no offense just that there is a difference between the pips players as a majority and world class players.

Why don't you learn modern defense at the school I've advised you to establish? According to you, that will lead more people to playing table tennis.
It is possible to smash with inverted off the bounce (if the ball is higher than the net height) ...:)
And again you contradict yourself: now pips require less skill than inverted. Now I'm quite curious about your response at the following question: what is it now? Do pips require no skill, less skill than inverted or another skill than inverted?
I believe you you don't want to offend anyone, but you're perceived that way by making very dubious statements and contradicting yourself. You're perceived as a lier and an ignorant person.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I hate to do it but I have to: I asked Richard a few weeks ago what his rating was and he told me 1041, but that he was going to get his rating up to 1600-1800 because he was getting ready to play in a big tournament and that would up his level. Here is his record from the tournament:

Heo, Richard

Manor September Open

Wins
U 1600
Hoffman, Brian (1166) complete history
6 ,12 ,-8 ,7

Losses
U 1600
Hoyt, Sherwood (1363) complete history
4 ,6 ,9
U 1600
Snyder, Andrew (1591) complete history
12 ,8 ,-3 ,8
U 2000
Russel, Samuel (1869) complete history
12 ,8 ,8
U 2000
Portilla, Rafael (1750) complete history
4 ,-8 ,2 ,6
U 2000
Hoyt, Sherwood (1363) complete history
2 ,4 ,-6 ,-9 ,7

He won 1 match against a player rated 1166 and he dropped a game to him.

He lost 5 matches. One player he lost to was rated 1363. He lost to him 2 times, not just once. One of the losses he did not win a set (3-0 against a player rated 1166 is not possible for an 1800 level player). He also lost to a player who is rated 1591 (not a bad rating).

But there is no way in hell that someone who can really beat a 2200 level player or even a 2000 level player could possibly struggle against an 1100 level player or lose to a 1300 level player. It is just not possible.

Sometimes when you play a good player and it is not a tournament situation, they goof around. I have beaten a 2300 level player who is my friend. If he is playing for real, there is no possible way I would have a chance. No way in hell. I have also taken matches from 1800, 1900, 2000 level players with or without pips. But it was not in a tournament situation and I doubt they had their A game out. And just because I can take a random match from a player rated way higher than me does not mean that is my level. That is not how the rating system works. When you can beat almost everyone at the 1500 level, take random matches from someone higher than that and lose random matches to someone lower than that, when both of you have your A game on display IN A TOURNAMENT SITUATION, then your rating goes up to 1500. If you win against someone who is ranked a lot higher than you, your rating gets adjusted up a lot. When you lose against someone way lower than you, then your rating gets adjusted down a lot. The rating system actually seems to work.

In other words, usually when someone is rated in the 1100 range it is close enough to accurate. And when someone has been rated somewhere between 1000-1100 from 2004-2011, the rating is probably close enough to accurate.

I would say, the solution to there being a few pips players in your area would be to learn how to play against pips. Your skills will improve if you do.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
@Lorre

I don't think Mr.RicharD's point was against pips. He said that he doesn't mind playing against them.
I agree with u on what u said about teaching the new players. When you lead practise sessions you should raise them with inverted on 2 sides I believe, and when they later find out they prefer pips, no problem. The situation that 80+% of the players use pips seems to come from a massive early choice for pips among players. Seems hard to turn that back, but it is a great challenge for u and ur club to prove those people wrong Richard :D

Pips players are a welcome diversity to the sport, but on the scale it's happening in his area it went too far I think.

Thanx for the reply, Wiwa.:) I agree with what you've said, except what you've said about his statement being against pips users: he says they don't have skill. That's quite frankly insulting for a pip player like me. Wiwa, if someone said to you that you don't have skill and doesn't know anything about your style, wouldn't you at least want to correct the guy saying you don't have skill and feel insulted, if only a tiny bit?
He might not have something against pip players, but it's clear he doesn't have knowledge about pips and IMO he's quite close to disliking pips (by not having the right info, living in a area full of non-competent pip players and stating some of the things he says).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, I live in New York, it is not too far from Pennsylvania. I don't really travel to play since I have a job, a wife and a daughter. But I do not know of any large region like Pennsylvania where there are 80%+ players using deceptive rubbers. Of course I could be wrong. And perhaps Mr RicharD is talking about a very small area, but.....

Pips players do enhance the game by adding variations and giving you the opportunity to improve your skill at reading spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Thanx for the reply, Wiwa.:) I agree with what you've said, except what you've said about his statement being against pips users: he says they don't have skill. That's quite frankly insulting for a pip player like me. Wiwa, if someone said to you that you don't have skill and doesn't know anything about your style, wouldn't you at least want to correct the guy saying you don't have skill and feel insulted, if only a tiny bit?
He might not have something against pip players, but it's clear he doesn't have knowledge about pips and IMO he's quite close to disliking pips (by not having the right info, living in a area full of non-competent pip players and stating some of the things he says).

Well obviously I wouldn't like it if someone said that, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion ;) But also u have to agree that on a lower level it would be relatively easy to make points with pips. But I guess u are above that level and u know how to use ur pips, that is a different situation. It is also the reason why I believe new players should start with inverted on both sides. Not because pips are bad, but to prevent the situation where 80+% of the players use pips.

So the statement that pips require no skill is obviously not true if you look at a decent level of play. But on a low level you can win matches with it that you would have lost otherwise, without even knowing what your pips do :p And that is why I think we should keep lower level players from using pips, which seems to happen in the area Mr.RicharD lives in. So he might have spoken of pips players in general where his statement only applies to a certain group of pips players.

Personally I like to play against pips players, because against most of them you can execute a pretty straight-forward strategy. It then really comes down to your ability to serve, run and loop to beat them. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Hey Carl that's cool that you posted that. Why not come down and play me? We can judge whether I'm 1800 from that. Yes I had some trouble because frankly I've never played these players before. With Brian he's a friend of mine and I played him Penhold where he took one off of me. Sherwood and Rafael are from another club and I've never played them before. I had trouble with a lot of their dead ball chops hitting long over the table.

Snyder was another I hadn't played before and he also had some very awkward technique that I didn't understand. Now granted I play the 1800+ leveled players at our clubs every week. I know how to beat them from experience. I have used pips for a few weeks where I did beat a 2200 rated player in a match. I've also beaten players above 2000 that are severely under rated in my opinion because they refuse to go out to tournaments.

All of the players at our local clubs excluding mine are in their late 20's to early 40's. Many have played for decades and so on.

If you want to bash me because I'm just spelling it out that's fine. Play me and we can settle that argument later.

As for the pips question from Lorre, by definition no I don't believe that there is technique involved because frankly there isn't any set system. I don't believe that each and every technique used by all the different players out there provides a set technique that should be involved when hitting. With inverted there are systems in place and yes players deviate from them, but the majority do use proper technique. For LP I believe Joo's technique is currently the best and a system should be put in place to train as he does.

As for the skill question. By definition where the ability to become better through training I don't believe that many long pips players have less skill than the inverted. I believe that many do have skill with their training in place such as great clubs or proper schools, but as a majority I believe that more than half of the long pips players out there don't train their long pips because they rely on simply blocking the ball back. Short pips players could be devised as a majority involved in training, but I believe that they rely less on technique because the short pips allow them to hit certain balls that would require a completely different technique when using inverted.

I'm going to be stepping out of this discussion because it seems that many are more concerned with pointing out my own flaws rather than the facts at hand. Statistically speaking pips players are lazier, require less technique when training, and are a majority of the time playing at a level that they would otherwise not be able to without the pips. I think it's an advantage from my own personal experiences and I believe that it does slow the growth of the sport when there are overwhelming percentages of players in the area. I've used pips before and I didn't enjoy using them because of how inflated my "rank" would have been. Rather than play deceptively based on equipment I strive for improving technique and footwork.

If I had said anything below the belt for that I apologize, but as a generalized statement not directed at anyone it was statistically correct. I'm not one to bash on anyone, but I will point out the facts. So have at it fellas.

This user has no status.
With a rating of 1066 I really have a hard time believing that you can beat anyone over 1500 much less a 2300 rated player. And when you said you have beaten 1800 players when you used LP? I dont think so. What I do think is that you have a very hard time dealing with any type of pip. And because of that you want to not ban them but just start something were you dont have to play against them. I have been playing this sport for a pretty long time now. Many have tried and many have failed. If you dont like to play against pips? Thats fine I dont care. Because there are plenty of other inverted players that will.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
hm.., the 80-90% of long pip players in the area does suprise me. Oh yea, because going into there are so many using the pips, I just wonder how many players play with pip+sponge or pips only?

Because from my observation, when some random guys step in to ask to play a game with us, what I notice is that they could not get to use the bounciness of the sponge. Even with the hard sponge. It just too bouncy for them. Then in the end, they would take a hard bat and play with us. Oh yea, not even use those short/long pips with sponge, it still too bouncy to them.

I'm believe this may due to that many casual players are coming from those basement ping pong type. This may results that they too get used to what they used to.

Ok, so for my own experience from learning TT. It just not really pick up a bat, go to forum to ask which rubber is good for beginner. Actually, that time we all just use a friendship 729 rubber. If not mistake, my first few lessons are all about basic footwork, the theory of spin (yes, theory, what stroke and how it generates what spin), then a very very very basic FH and BH. I did talk about the theory of spin right, oh yea, just dont under estimate this thing. Even my friend who good at basketball, badminton, he did tell me that he never able to understand all this spin stuff at all when I messing with him. And even for those non-beginner player, some time they would just not able to understand why they keep missing the drive/loop from a simple serve.