Blade recommendation

This user has no status.
Hi,

I'm looking for a blade with a good flexibility and control but still fast enough. Right now I'm using Viscaria and I feel not enough dwell time because I'm a slow player. I've tried Fang Bo 2. It is good, but it is too head heavy for me and really vibrate a lot in my hand. I don't really like much vibration when choosing blade.

I'd like to train harder but I think it is too much for me because I have no time anymore for intense training. I'm wondering about Butterfly Marcos Freitas or Tiago Apolonia. Do you think both of them slower and controllable than Viscaria ? Or maybe you have something else to consider for me ?

Feel free to answer here. Any suggestions will be appreciated !!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hi,

I'm looking for a blade with a good flexibility and control but still fast enough. Right now I'm using Viscaria and I feel not enough dwell time because I'm a slow player. I've tried Fang Bo 2. It is good, but it is too head heavy for me and really vibrate a lot in my hand. I don't really like much vibration when choosing blade.

I'd like to train harder but I think it is too much for me because I have no time anymore for intense training. I'm wondering about Butterfly Marcos Freitas or Tiago Apolonia. Do you think both of them slower and controllable than Viscaria ? Or maybe you have something else to consider for me ?

Feel free to answer here. Any suggestions will be appreciated !!
Hi! I suggest you try the simon gauzy cornilleau blade.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
It's hard to tell, not all allwood-blades have much vibration and some carbon blades have a lot of vibration. I tried a Viscaria and I thought it had more vibration than my Clipper CR. It also has to do with the blade's weight for example and the shape of the wings/handle. The Clipper CR nowadays is thicker than a Viscaria and that also has to do with it. I don't recommend buying one just to test but maybe you know someone who has a Clipper. Just be sure to NOT use the WRB one.

Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Slower and more controllable than Viscaria but with a similar feeling - Nexy Calix 2.
IF you want to stay Butterfly, Tiago Appolonia is decent but it will have slightly more vibration (as does the Calix 2, but the Calix 2 feels more similar).

You used to like Xiom Vega Euro (or Pro for koto) as a slower alternative to Viscaria/TBS, right? Would you also recommend it here?

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
You could check out the Andro Ligna FR OFF. This is one of the blades I am going to buy next year. Unfortunately it is still a rather unknown blade, even though Dan and Tom reviewd it a few years back (you'll find it in the review section). It has a Kiri outer ply and according to them quite a lot of dwell and control (for a composite blade). I suppose it is made by Soulspin (so no problems regarding craftsmanship). It is in the price range of the Viscaria and regarding the throw it should pair nicely with your H3.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
You could check out the Andro Ligna FR OFF. This is one of the blades I am going to buy next year. Unfortunately it is still a rather unknown blade, even though Dan and Tom reviewd it a few years back (you'll find it in the review section). It has a Kiri outer ply and according to them quite a lot of dwell and control (for a composite blade). I suppose it is made by Soulspin (so no problems regarding craftsmanship). It is in the price range of the Viscaria and regarding the throw it should pair nicely with your H3.

It almost seems like Andro also want to keep this blade under the radar (they bury info about it in their catalogue, but put next to nothing on their website..) Do you know if the composite layers are just carbon, or are they something like ALC?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
It almost seems like Andro also want to keep this blade under the radar (they bury info about it in their catalogue, but put next to nothing on their website..) Do you know if the composite layers are just carbon, or are they something like ALC?

Well, I am not an equipment expert. I had one in my hands last year. Found the handle a little slippery (maybe the only downside), but still great craftsmanship overall. Regarding the carbon layer: Don't think it is regular ALC. It certainy looked different colorwise than the ALC of my Viscaria. Might be something similar however. I could ask one of our best players next week. He is some sort of an Andro-"fanboy"...
It is indeed strange that Andro is so quite about the Ligna series as a whole. Could be a top seller for them after all...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You used to like Xiom Vega Euro (or Pro for koto) as a slower alternative to Viscaria/TBS, right? Would you also recommend it here?

Yes - but some of the newer ones are stiffer than the older ones. But the Vega Euro is great.

Another really good blade, though it seems the OP is for composites, is the Boll W7 - really solid blade. Just thick.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This is an interesting graph from TTgearlab.com that plots the distribution of vibration across the palm and fingers. So depending how you hold the racket (I hold it mostly at the finger tips), one might sense more or less vibration for any given blade, assuming that there is some degree of quality control for the blade.

http://ttgearlab.com/2017/03/25/characteristics-of-four-known-inner-fiber-blades-comparison/

cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
This is an interesting graph from TTgearlab.com that plots the distribution of vibration across the palm and fingers. So depending how you hold the racket (I hold it mostly at the finger tips), one might sense more or less vibration for any given blade, assuming that there is some degree of quality control for the blade.

http://ttgearlab.com/2017/03/25/characteristics-of-four-known-inner-fiber-blades-comparison/

Yeah those are super interesting. I’m not sure that Vp and Vl measure what people are normally talking about when they say a blade has too much “vibration”.

Reading through the excellent explanation of the indices on the blog, the author specifies that Vp and Vl have to do with the “level [amplitude?] of vibration” at the index and palm. I’m not sure, but I think this means at the moment of impact.

Thing is, and I might be wrong, but my understanding was that when people say a blade vibrates too much I think that they mean it vibrates for too long after the impact. The problem wouldn’t be that the impact is felt clearly (so high vibration close to the moment of impact) but instead that the blade keeps vibrating for too long after the impact.

(To illustrate, think of a drum vs a cymbal: snare drums can be louder, but for a very short duration. Whereas cymbals can keep resonating for a long time.)

That might explain why e.g. classic 5ply wood blades are usually considered to vibrate a lot, even though their Vp and Vi are lower than almost everything else ttgearlab measures.

This makes me want to ask ttgearlab for clarification!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah those are super interesting. I’m not sure that Vp and Vl measure what people are normally talking about when they say a blade has too much “vibration”.

Reading through the excellent explanation of the indices on the blog, the author specifies that Vp and Vl have to do with the “level [amplitude?] of vibration” at the index and palm. I’m not sure, but I think this means at the moment of impact.

Thing is, and I might be wrong, but my understanding was that when people say a blade vibrates too much I think that they mean it vibrates for too long after the impact. The problem wouldn’t be that the impact is felt clearly (so high vibration close to the moment of impact) but instead that the blade keeps vibrating for too long after the impact.

(To illustrate, think of a drum vs a cymbal: snare drums can be louder, but for a very short duration. Whereas cymbals can keep resonating for a long time.)

That might explain why e.g. classic 5ply wood blades are usually considered to vibrate a lot, even though their Vp and Vi are lower than almost everything else ttgearlab measures.

You are correct - Vp is the measure that most people are complaining about. Vi, or the vibration at the finger, is important for feel but not what most people are thinking about when they complain about vibrations.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
You are correct - Vp is the measure that most people are complaining about. Vi, or the vibration at the finger, is important for feel but not what most people are thinking about when they complain about vibrations.

What’s your take on whether the big concern with “too much” Vp is the level of the vibration or it’s duration? Is it as much a problem when blades vibrate clearly close to contact, but doesn’t last long at all?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews

cache.php

I don’t trust this chart to be honest. I felt that the viscaria is a lot faster than the clipper CR.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
What’s your take on whether the big concern with “too much” Vp is the level of the vibration or it’s duration? Is it as much a problem when blades vibrate clearly close to contact, but doesn’t last long at all?

I think it is the level of vibration felt which is tied to duration because od the lower frequency vibrations are easier to feel. I could be wrong about the last part though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I don’t trust this chart to be honest. I felt that the viscaria is a lot faster than the clipper CR.

This chart is about the feel of the blades. But I have no compelling reason to think the the elasticity (speed) chart is not accurate as far as what TTGearlab’s test measured. This leaves 3 options:

1. - The method ttgearlab uses might be flawed.

2. - The specific sample blades you each tested might have actually been of different speeds.

3. - User error.

My money is on 2 or 3 but I might be wrong.