Blade with more control

Hi,
I'm an advanced beginner level and I am looking for a wood that could suit me better, even if it does not correct placement and gesture errors.
I had a classic Stiga allround and found it too slow but very controllable, however too much vibration. I switched to a Stiga allround evolution, but I'm mixed because it's good in terms of speed, but I lost too much in terms of control. I tested a Yasaka Swedeh Extra, it's clear it's too fast, too uncontrollable and I don't like the sound of the ball on this blade.

I need a blade that gives me control for push, and at the same time enough speed for the flat hit and the top hit forehand, all with less vibrations as possible.
Are there any possibilities ?

Hi,
I'm an advanced beginner level and I am looking for a wood that could suit me better, even if it does not correct placement and gesture errors.
I had a classic Stiga allround and found it too slow but very controllable, however too much vibration. I switched to a Stiga allround evolution, but I'm mixed because it's good in terms of speed, but I lost too much in terms of control. I tested a Yasaka Swedeh Extra, it's clear it's too fast, too uncontrollable and I don't like the sound of the ball on this blade.

I need a blade that gives me control for push, and at the same time enough speed for the flat hit and the top hit forehand, all with less vibrations as possible.
Are there any possibilities ?
It’s in your head, there is not much difference between those 3 blades. As far as vibration goes, I want a little, but not as much as the Donic Appelgren all play. My Stiga Allround evolution is slower than my Yasaka Sweden but none of them vibrates too much.
For a standard Ayous Limba limba blade look for a thickness of > 5.7 mm.

And remember that speed and control is the inverse of each other more speed = less control…

The rubber also has an important role to play…

An excellent slow blade with little vibration is the Donic new Impuls 6.5…
But it is rather expensive…

Cheers
L-zr

It’s in your head, there is not much difference between those 3 blades. As far as vibration goes, I want a little, but not as much as the Donic Appelgren all play. My Stiga Allround evolution is slower than my Yasaka Sweden but none of them vibrates too much.
For a standard Ayous Limba limba blade look for a thickness of > 5.7 mm.

And remember that speed and control is the inverse of each other more speed = less control…

The rubber also has an important role to play…

An excellent slow blade with little vibration is the Donic new Impuls 6.5…
But it is rather expensive…

Cheers
L-zr
With no disrespect, the shock waves of the ball on the wood which propagate into the wrist are not in my head, they are real, some like them, others don't...
That said, for the Donic Persson Powerplay, it is very similar in its composition to the Stiga Allround Evolution, and here I am afraid that it is too fast and does not have enough control.
The Donic new impuls is too expensive...

How much vibration can a 3 grams ball make?
Sanwei Fextra one is what you want.
More than you think. A thin crisp blade will vibrate more than a soft one. A softer one will have one huge one like a trampoline.
Also the rubber will have a dampening effect. But you are right it’s not a big deal. What you feel is the blade taking up energy from the hit. A stiff hard blade will take up less and is thus faster.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
After reading this review I was so intrigued by the SANWEI Parla, that I ordered one for myself. It hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t know if it matches my expectations but in theory it does sound good.

Compared to Stiga allround, Neottec voodoo classic is far superior blade. I can recommend this blade any day over Stiga allround. Good control and more than enough speed and far less annoying viberstions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Depending on what weight you prefer I can vouch for the Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 or X7. X5 is thinner, slower but has more control, X7 bit thicker, faster, bit less control.

I personally have an X7 and love it to bits, also because I really like a light blade, with even weight distribution. These blades can have heavy rubbers well, because are pretty light on the blade head.

Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
I think your Sweden Extra will be fine. I am more worried about your choice of rubbers. Your rubbers are to soft and to thin which will slow down your development. I suggest you keep your Sweden Extra which is a great blade to learn the fine art of table tennis with. Get som rubbers in 2.0mm with a sponge hardness of 47'5. If you already can do a forehand loop get Rakza7 on both sides (not soft.). If you still struggling with your forehand loop and more of a pusher you can try Stiga Mantra Control or Xiom Musa in 2.0mm (45degrees). Then practice a lot and don´t change equipment in 6-12 months.

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Depending on what weight you prefer I can vouch for the Butterfly Balsa Carbo X5 or X7. X5 is thinner, slower but has more control, X7 bit thicker, faster, bit less control.

I personally have an X7 and love it to bits, also because I really like a light blade, with even weight distribution. These blades can have heavy rubbers well, because are pretty light on the blade head.
I had x7 in my hand last week and it played very good. A lot of control and fast enough. I own a Sanwei Feather carbon, Balsa core though I love to play with that blade it didn’t come close to the feeling of the bty x7

Reactions: enoxzr
I think your Sweden Extra will be fine. I am more worried about your choice of rubbers. Your rubbers are to soft and to thin which will slow down your development. I suggest you keep your Sweden Extra which is a great blade to learn the fine art of table tennis with. Get som rubbers in 2.0mm with a sponge hardness of 47'5. If you already can do a forehand loop get Rakza7 on both sides (not soft.). If you still struggling with your forehand loop and more of a pusher you can try Stiga Mantra Control or Xiom Musa in 2.0mm (45degrees). Then practice a lot and don´t change equipment in 6-12 months.
Those who practice with me are the opposite of your proposal : as my level has been "beginner" for 10 years, they strongly advised me not to take beyond 1.8mm or even to go down to 1.5 with classic rubbers like Vari spin.
I was told that the Musa or the Victas Regular Alpha are more advanced than the Vari spin, so that's why I took these rubbers.
On the other hand, one thing is clear, I can't play with tensors, even a Xiom Vega Intro which is a "light" tensor I find it horrible to play because of the trampoline effect. And having tested rackets with Razka, Rosena or Rasanter, I felt like I had an uncontrollable missile launcher in my hand.
This is also why I first want to choose the wood carefully, and that it suits me as much as possible. I tried a friend's Yasaka Sweden Extra again, and no I don't like the feel of this wood at all.
What about the Felix Lebrun ALL and the Alexis Lebrun ALL+ ?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Those who practice with me are the opposite of your proposal : as my level has been "beginner" for 10 years, they strongly advised me not to take beyond 1.8mm or even to go down to 1.5 with classic rubbers like Vari spin.
I was told that the Musa or the Victas Regular Alpha are more advanced than the Vari spin, so that's why I took these rubbers.
On the other hand, one thing is clear, I can't play with tensors, even a Xiom Vega Intro which is a "light" tensor I find it horrible to play because of the trampoline effect. And having tested rackets with Razka, Rosena or Rasanter, I felt like I had an uncontrollable missile launcher in my hand.
This is also why I first want to choose the wood carefully, and that it suits me as much as possible. I tried a friend's Yasaka Sweden Extra again, and no I don't like the feel of this wood at all.
Oh Ok, I have not seen you play and I guess you don´t have a coach since you have not mention that. I'm sorry I don´t think I can help you with any suggestions based on the info I got.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
My advice is just don't worry about equipment. You can find equipment that better or worse suits you, but whether you improve or not will be up to how you practice and how much you practice, not what equipment you use. You can reach high intermediate level with a Stiga OC with 1.8mm or a Viscaria with max tensors so long as you practice right and practice a lot.

Reactions: NextLevel and lodro

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Stiga Clipper is kind of the standard here. Not one of the fancy-pants Clippers, just the normal seven ply wood one.