World Junior Championships 2017

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I was not being gratuitous NL , I honestly think this attitude will be a hindrance to his development ... he would not have a chance to get beaten by Gym Janitors to humble him down ... I did not see any reason for him to throw away that third game in the final ... it was literally suicide ...

.. now it would be sounding like a wisecrack ... but honestly I had the vibe when I watched his match against Kanak Jha .. its almost like he thinks that he is too good , but even if you are you cannot show off ... he has a long way to become Waldner , somebody needs to tell him that ... he definitely needs to go to a sports psychiatrist ....

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I was not being gratuitous NL , I honestly think this attitude will be a hindrance to his development ... he would not have a chance to get beaten by Gym Janitors to humble him down ... I did not see any reason for him to throw away that third game in the final ... it was literally suicide ...

There was a reason - it is called the Chinese front-runner. When a Chinese player gets a comfortable lead, they start taking greater risks. At the beginning of the third game you could see that Xue Fei came out to break him. The kid is 15, he had high expectations for himself and didn't like the fact that he felt helpless. Nothing he was trying was consistently working.

That he settled enough to win the 4th game speaks volumes for his character and to me is the true indicator of his fighting spirit. He was outclassed in that match and couldn't counter XF backhand loops to save his life but he hung in there to get a game.

Even Roger Federer was a bigger headcase at 20. Let's call him a head case when he has enough experience to know better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
.. when I was watching ... I hoping this goes the roger federer way and not the marat safin say ... lets see ....
There was a reason - it is called the Chinese front-runner. When a Chinese player gets a comfortable lead, they start taking greater risks. At the beginning of the third game you could see that Xue Fei came out to break him. The kid is 15, he had high expectations for himself and didn't like the fact that he felt helpless. Nothing he was trying was consistently working.

That he settled enough to win the 4th game speaks volumes for his character and to me is the true indicator of his fighting spirit. He was outclassed in that match and couldn't counter XF backhand loops to save his life but he hung in there to get a game.

Even Roger Federer was a bigger headcase at 20. Let's call him a head case when he has enough experience to know better.

Reactions: Baal and NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Let's call him a head case when he has enough experience to know better.

He has enough experience to know better. Some 15 year olds are rock solid competitors, but Truls isn't one of them. Still impressive and good fighting back to take the 4th game. Hopefully he'll watch the 3rd game video and decide he never again wants to look like such a fool. If table tennis were a team sport his coach would have benched him for bad body language alone.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He has enough experience to know better. Some 15 year olds are rock solid competitors, but Truls isn't one of them. Still impressive and good fighting back to take the 4th game. Hopefully he'll watch the 3rd game video and decide he never again wants to look like such a fool. If table tennis were a team sport his coach would have benched him for bad body language alone.

He is 15. No 15 year old has enough experience to know better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
He is 15. No 15 year old has enough experience to know better.

Not in my experience. I was worse than Truls as a 15 year old, but even I knew it was self-defeating. My highest ranked friend was a stone cold competitor who won Brad Gilbert style, almost entirely on smart tactics and mental toughness. Never lost his cool. Successful 15 year olds are more often the toughest competitors rather than the most talented athletes. Almost all have enough experience to know how to conduct themselves. Some can do it, some can't, some won't.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Not in my experience. I was worse than Truls as a 15 year old, but even I knew it was self-defeating. My highest ranked friend was a stone cold competitor who won Brad Gilbert style, almost entirely on smart tactics and mental toughness. Never lost his cool. Successful 15 year olds are more often the toughest competitors rather than the most talented athletes. Almost all have enough experience to know how to conduct themselves. Some can do it, some can't, some won't.
Well if you aren't worse Now, then there is hope for the kid. That is my point. There is temperament and there is refinement. Refinement comes with experience and knowledge. Some 15 yr ikds have temperament but no 15 year old has refinement. At least not on the level required to deal with a complete lack of control over how badly things are going for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Although I may kind of understand the excitement over the Swedish boy, I feel that we should remember that China won every gold medal. I think the interesting times will be 2019 and 2020.

Me, I have my tickets for next year's World Cup Teams, and I am just hoping to see some of the greats of today.

Last edited: