Technique to counterloop opening loops against backspin

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Pressing the ball (fast block) isn't the same as counterspinning the ball. It's a valid technique for when you're behind the play but will be a lot more prone to error than counterspin over the table.

For that you have to use the elbow as the rotation axis to have as much spin as possible over the table. There's no way around it unless you're fast enough to rotate your entire body with the arm extended and get enough speed when you hit the ball. You're probably never going to be able to do that, and no pro really does it either.

There is no risk whatsoever of tendonitis so ignore that bizzare theory. The stroke is very compact and the error most people make is to indeed try to treat it as a 'full topspin'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I agree that it is important to use the forearm to create spin. I also agree that you should not use the whole body when counterlooping. But i Do not think you should use your elbow as an rotation axis in any forehand shot, But for backhand shots it is totally correct. I also do not think you need to think so much about creating so much of your own spin when counterloopin since it is often already alot of spin and speed in the ball. But of course of there is not much spin or speed in the ball you need to create more on your own.

But technique is crazy subjective so it is okey to have different opinions.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
I agree that it is important to use the forearm to create spin. I also agree that you should not use the whole body when counterlooping. But i Do not think you should use your elbow as an rotation axis in any forehand shot, But for backhand shots it is totally correct. I also do not think you need to think so much about creating so much of your own spin when counterloopin since it is often already alot of spin and speed in the ball. But of course of there is not much spin or speed in the ball you need to create more on your own.

But technique is crazy subjective so it is okey to have different opinions.

It also depends what you're talking about.
In his case I surmised he's talking about a quick over-the-table counterspin, in which case yeah, there's no time for anything but brush the top of the ball, best done with a quick elbow movement and perhaps a bit of body/shoulder/wrist. Elbow is safest to begin with because there's simply no time.
The main thing is simply not to extent your arm or reach for the ball.

If he's talking about an off-the-table counter topspin then it's a different technique for sure because you have time and need more forward acceleration.

Also by elbow I mean not to extend the arm, as I supposed he was doing, going for a large swing. I think that you generally should end every swing with an elbow around 90 degrees on forehand.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It also depends what you're talking about.
In his case I surmised he's talking about a quick over-the-table counterspin, in which case yeah, there's no time for anything but brush the top of the ball, best done with a quick elbow movement and perhaps a bit of body/shoulder/wrist. Elbow is safest to begin with because there's simply no time.
If he's talking about an off-the-table counter topspin then it's a different technique for sure because you have time and need more forward acceleration.

Also by elbow I mean not to extend the arm, as I supposed he was doing, going for a large swing. I think that you generally should end every swing with an elbow around 90 degrees on forehand.

It is hard to explain stuff in text, and i think We mean roughly the same thing But We explain it differently. I think We both ageee that you should use a small motion which is mostly the forearm. But i think you explain it wrong when you say you should use the elbow as an rotating axis. I think We always move the elbow even att small strokes and should not have it steady on the forehand stroke.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
It is hard to explain stuff in text, and i think We mean roughly the same thing But We explain it differently. I think We both ageee that you should use a small motion which is mostly the forearm. But i think you explain it wrong when you say you should use the elbow as an rotating axis. I think We always move the elbow even att small strokes and should not have it steady on the forehand stroke.

Yeah I'm not sure what we're talking about anymore.