Back to Forum
Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1699
  1. zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 7,647 5,433
    zeio's Avatar
    zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 5,433 7,647

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2018
    PNG
    5,433
    7,647
    21309
    Read 0 Reviews
    #21
    His losses to Niwa and LSS qualify as big upsets, perhaps even greater than the one to Baum.





    The Following 4 Users Like zeio's Post:

    NextLevel, RidTheKid and 2 others

    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

  2. DonnOlsen is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 59 58
    D
    DonnOlsen is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 58 59

    User Info Menu


    Aug 2018
    United States
    58
    59
    249
    Read 0 Reviews
    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil
    I'd bet on the usual suspects. Dark horse is Ovtcharov. Slowly but surely he's approaching his pre-injury form.
    Our devastating boy Harimoto blew into the scene on an irresistible tidal wave of sport's transformation, informing all in attention the value of at-the-table/close-to-the-table play (with China's Lin erasing any remaining skeptics by winning the China team trial with similar positioning, though different techniques, and vaulting passed a number of other powerful prospects vying for China's most elevated echelon). Ovtcharov, a smart fellow, more than other veterans embraced this truth by devoting his most recent year and a half training structure to this new paradigm. He is improving and will improve more. He seems close to many of the strong non-Chinese Asians so, yes, he is one to watch.

    Thanks.

    The Following User Likes DonnOlsen's Post:

    Atas Newton


  3. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitLoop
    Of those losses only Baum stands out as a particularly big upset although I am sure he expected better in 2015 and 2017 when he was playing particularly well.
    At that time he should have beaten Lee Sang Su.

    The Following User Likes NextLevel's Post:

    matzreenzi

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  4. Dr Evil is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 207 192
    D
    Dr Evil is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 192 207

    User Info Menu


    Dec 2018
    United States
    192
    207
    944
    Read 1 Reviews
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by zeio
    I expect DO to lose before he could reach the QF. He's so far down on the ranking now, that there's a very good chance he will meet China this time in the Rd of 16, provided he doesn't crash out before that.

    DO's WTTC Journeys:
    2017 - Rd of 16, losing to Koki Niwa 3-4
    2015 - Rd of 64, losing to LSS 3-4
    2013 - Rd of 16, losing to Baum 1-4
    2011 - Rd of 16, losing to Boll 2-4
    2009 - Rd of 16, losing to ML 1-4
    2007 - Rd of 64, losing to MLin 0-4
    True, he hasn't had great WTTC results, and he's probably not all the way back yet. But at his best I think he's even money or better against anyone except ML and FZD. And ML is currently low enough on the ranking list that he and FZD might play as early as the round of 16, so with a good draw DO might get to finals without needing a big upset. And in one match anything's possible. Long shot? Yes. Implausible? No.

  5. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #25
    Xu Xin will get ML. He has that kind of luck.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  6. BlipBlop575 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 58 107
    B
    BlipBlop575 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 107 58
    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Xu Xin will get ML. He has that kind of luck.
    Does he? In Dusseldorf he lost 0-4.

  7. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by BlipBlop575
    Does he? In Dusseldorf he lost 0-4.
    In 2015, I believe he got Fang Bo and lost 3-4 in R16 or so. He really deserves better.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  8. RidTheKid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,140 1,662
    R
    RidTheKid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,662 1,140
    #28
    Fang Bo played extremely well that tournament. No shame on Xu Xin.

    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    In 2015, I believe he got Fang Bo and lost 3-4 in R16 or so. He really deserves better.

  9. BlipBlop575 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 58 107
    B
    BlipBlop575 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 107 58
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    In 2015, I believe he got Fang Bo and lost 3-4 in R16 or so. He really deserves better.
    Nevermind, I misunderstood you. I thought that by "get ML" you meant that he'll beat him, not that he'll be in the same draw as ML.

  10. zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 7,647 5,433
    zeio's Avatar
    zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 5,433 7,647

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2018
    PNG
    5,433
    7,647
    21309
    Read 0 Reviews
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    In 2015, I believe he got Fang Bo and lost 3-4 in R16 or so. He really deserves better.
    In 2011, he got WLQ in R16 as well, losing 1-4.

    In 2009, he got Chen Qi in R32, losing 3-4.

    So yeah, he has that luck.
    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

  11. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #31
    Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid
    Fang Bo played extremely well that tournament. No shame on Xu Xin.
    Yeah. Though I believe if Xu Xin hadn't played all the events he was eligible for (which he also all won apart from the singles), it might have been a different story.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  12. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #32
    Quote Originally Posted by zeio
    In 2011, he got WLQ in R16 as well, losing 1-4.

    In 2009, he got Chen Qi in R32, losing 3-4.

    So yeah, he has that luck.
    I have a high level friend who thinks Xu Xin hates playing his compatriots and can't bring forth the same effort as he does against players from other countries. My friend doesn't deny Xu Xin's imbalanced game so I found his perspective interesting.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  13. RidTheKid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,140 1,662
    R
    RidTheKid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,662 1,140
    #33
    True, and with the re-developed bh he now possess he could've gone all the way. Has Xu Xin lost some of the step he once had? Ma Long has certainly lost some lateral movement. Maybe it's rustiness, but I think it's age. Ma Long needs to stay closer to the table to win this time.

    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Yeah. Though I believe if Xu Xin hadn't played all the events he was eligible for (which he also all won apart from the singles), it might have been a different story.

  14. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #34
    Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid
    True, and with the re-developed bh he now possess he could've gone all the way. Has Xu Xin lost some of the step he once had? Ma Long has certainly lost some lateral movement. Maybe it's rustiness, but I think it's age. Ma Long needs to stay closer to the table to win this time.
    Whatever Ma Long lost (assuming mild rust) is invisible to my naked eye. He let FZD off the hook at the Asian Cup. I don't know what to take from a loss where Ma Long was up in just about every game. His serves look nastier and his third ball is surprisingly sharper. He just got caught by FZD implementing some Zhang Jike and Wang Hao weapons built for ML. At he has early warning.

    Xu Xin, I blame the plastic ball.

    The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

    matzreenzi and RidTheKid

    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  15. RidTheKid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,140 1,662
    R
    RidTheKid is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,662 1,140
    #35
    The 2nd set puzzled me. ML lost a healthy lead 6-1 and 9-5. Maybe it's like what the person behind Ma Long Fanmade channel said to me, that ML is not showing all his tricks but keeping the aces up his sleeve until WTTC.

    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    Whatever Ma Long lost (assuming mild rust) is invisible to my naked eye. He let FZD off the hook at the Asian Cup. I don't know what to take from a loss where Ma Long was up in just about every game. His serves look nastier and his third ball is surprisingly sharper. He just got caught by FZD implementing some Zhang Jike and Wang Hao weapons built for ML. At he has early warning.

    Xu Xin, I blame the plastic ball.

    The Following 2 Users Like RidTheKid's Post:

    matzreenzi and NextLevel


  16. NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 13,358 9,052
    N
    NextLevel is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 9,052 13,358

    User Info Menu

    #36
    Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid
    The 2nd set puzzled me. ML lost a healthy lead 6-1 and 9-5. Maybe it's like what the person behind Ma Long Fanmade channel said to me, that ML is not showing all his tricks but keeping the aces up his sleeve until WTTC.
    ML not doing post-match interviews said it all. He let one slip and he knew it. What it means for the future is the question. But not giving post-match interviews is not consistent with being okay with a loss because you didn't give your best. Not consistent at all. ML actively used his shorten the points game when he was in trouble. That is not a sign of someone who is keeping his best game secret.
    Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    "We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

  17. zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 7,647 5,433
    zeio's Avatar
    zeio is offline
    says 快、準、狠、變、轉
     
    Master TTD Member 5,433 7,647

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2018
    PNG
    5,433
    7,647
    21309
    Read 0 Reviews
    #37
    Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel
    I have a high level friend who thinks Xu Xin hates playing his compatriots and can't bring forth the same effort as he does against players from other countries. My friend doesn't deny Xu Xin's imbalanced game so I found his perspective interesting.
    LGL actually touched upon that in his latest interview. Will sub it tmw.

    The Following 2 Users Like zeio's Post:

    RidTheKid and Takkyu_wa_inochi

    Race for Tokyo 2020+1 - Women's Top 11, Japan
    Time capsules - 2020, 2024, 2028

  18. usualsuspect is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 350 587
    U
    usualsuspect is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 587 350
    #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnOlsen
    Our devastating boy Harimoto blew into the scene on an irresistible tidal wave of sport's transformation, informing all in attention the value of at-the-table/close-to-the-table play (with China's Lin erasing any remaining skeptics by winning the China team trial with similar positioning, though different techniques, and vaulting passed a number of other powerful prospects vying for China's most elevated echelon)
    Close-to-the-table style does seem to be the trend right now, but XX is still WR# 2. Harimoto and LGY seem to have a hard time against XX.
    Btw, I consider Ovtcharov and FZD more as mid-distance attackers. They are most threatening at a step away from the table.
    Anyways, that's just my two cents.

  19. DonnOlsen is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 59 58
    D
    DonnOlsen is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 58 59

    User Info Menu


    Aug 2018
    United States
    58
    59
    249
    Read 0 Reviews
    #39
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Close-to-the-table style does seem to be the trend right now, but XX is still WR# 2. Harimoto and LGY seem to have a hard time against XX.
    Btw, I consider Ovtcharov and FZD more as mid-distance attackers. They are most threatening at a step away from the table.
    Anyways, that's just my two cents.
    Very good thoughts; thanks. I have a contact in Germany that has discussed with Ovtcharov his efforts to be less "free roaming". Also, none other than the legendary Jun Mizutani has also engaged in the developmental process of playing closer to the table, as he, in what seemed to be but an instant, was not competitive with Wonder Boy at the Japanese Championships.

    From my view, XX is not in the discussion, as he is unquestionably extra-terrestrial and must be judged by other-worldly standards. If he plays Wonder Boy at this World's, and it is a real match, all my renminbi is the Milky Way over Wonder Boy.

    Thanks.

    The Following 2 Users Like DonnOlsen's Post:

    Atas Newton and yoass


  20. Zaid323918 is offline
    says Obey the Rules
     
    Advanced TTD Member 180 459
    Z
    Zaid323918 is offline
    says Obey the Rules
     
    Advanced TTD Member 459 180
    #40
    I hope Timo gets far in the tournament

    The Following 2 Users Like Zaid323918's Post:

    Simas and trumpet_guy


Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.