Back to Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 270 383
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 383 270

Short Topspin Serve with Pendulum Motion

I’m trying diversify my pendulum serve, and I’m having trouble keeping my topspin serve short. When I do the last moment shoulder pull, either I get an ok top-side spin serve that goes half long or long, or I get a short serve that is almost no spin. What am I doing wrong? Is it even possible to do this?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 36 98
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 98 36
    I wonder the exact answer too.

I manage to do top-side spin pendulum serve with placing the ball opponent's short forehand(I assume you use both same hand), then on second jump barely hits opponent's long backand side. The perfect ones without horizontal hitting or with less horizontal hitting.

Sent from Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 993 2,066
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,066 993
    Serve top spin along the diagonals from corner to corner, first bounce closer to you, soft and spinny, keep it low, and even not so short, the ball will either sink close to the edge, or even double bounce.

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 10,856 10,563

Master TTD Member 10,563 10,856

User Info Menu

The trick is in your impact and bat angle.

Gotta be soft. I like brushing the back of ball pulling to side and up. Gotta have a real soft grip or it goes long. First bounce location important.

Experiment. If your stroke is long, good luck. Timing will be tough. Elbow needs to be on your side up against body before impact.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

perham and ttmonster

President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

says Looping

Senior TTD Member 537 840
    says Looping

Senior TTD Member 840 537
    Need to see video to help more but generally the brush has to be very thin to keep topspin pendulum serves short. Especially to forehand.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,331 1,592
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,592 1,331

User Info Menu

Oct 2016
    Sweden
    Read 0 Reviews
    Do not use the shoulder. Use wrist or and forearm. Do not need massive spin, just more than the opponent thinks. Get the first bouncy closer to the net and the serve Will be short.

The Following 2 Users Like Lula's Post:

perham and RidTheKid

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 993 2,066
    L
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,066 993
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula
    Do not use the shoulder. Use wrist or and forearm. Do not need massive spin, just more than the opponent thinks. Get the first bouncy closer to the net and the serve Will be short.
    I doubt that with top spin, even with a very soft touch, you'll get a short serve if the first bounce is close to the net.
    With top spin closer to the net first bounce means deeper second one.
    With top spin the distance between the two bounces is longer than with under spin /provided same force applied/.
    With top spin the ball is faster than with under spin, and the second bounce is lower.
    Because of that the advantage of the top spin serve is not exactly in the very short placement, which in general is difficult to be achieved, but anyway if you want to, you have to make the first bounce not closer to the net, but the opposite, and along the diagonals, trying to make the ball not to lieve the table after the seconf bounce and to keep the ball as low as possible.
    Otherwise, with less or no spin, even if short, the ball can be easily attacked and flipped strong. In this case the only chance is the opponent to missread the ball.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,140 1,662
    R
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,662 1,140
    You "doubt"? You mean you actually don't know. I can say for sure that it's exactly the way Lula explains. First bounce should be close to the net to keep the ball short, even on top spin serves. The brush on the contact has to be very thin, and almost zero sponge activation.

Quote Originally Posted by langel
    I doubt that with top spin, even with a very soft touch, you'll get a short serve if the first bounce is close to the net.
    With top spin closer to the net first bounce means deeper second one.
    With top spin the distance between the two bounces is longer than with under spin /provided same force applied/.
    With top spin the ball is faster than with under spin, and the second bounce is lower.
    Because of that the advantage of the top spin serve is not exactly in the very short placement, which in general is difficult to be achieved, but anyway if you want to, you have to make the first bounce not closer to the net, but the opposite, and along the diagonals, trying to make the ball not to lieve the table after the seconf bounce and to keep the ball as low as possible.
    Otherwise, with less or no spin, even if short, the ball can be easily attacked and flipped strong. In this case the only chance is the opponent to missread the ball.

Master TTD Member 10,856 10,563

Master TTD Member 10,563 10,856

User Info Menu

Your first bounce location on your side of table will vary based on the trajectory of the ball you hit, which will largely be determined by the height at which you impact the ball.

For my kind of high impact point to make a relatively straight path, I land the ball middle depth to a little past that, I get a short tight serve on my underspin.

If I impact the ball lower, like at net height or a little lower, then send the ball a little upwards, my first bounce will be closer to the net, much closer. I can do that serve, but am lower consistency than my normal higher impact point.

Getting the impact right for a short bounce on a topspin serve is much, much more tricky with your touch and impact. The same considerations for ball trajectory apply. Landing the ball precisely on your target landing zone is much more critical than the underspin serve.

For me, it is much easier to use the higher impact point. I need to train the lower impact point as a variation, it also has advantages if I can master that impact and timing.
    President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 85 240
    W
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 240 85

User Info Menu

Oct 2017
    Norway
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid
    You "doubt"? You mean you actually don't know. I can say for sure that it's exactly the way Lula explains. First bounce should be close to the net to keep the ball short, even on top spin serves.
    Not exaxtly right, the wording was "closer to the net" and this is sometimes the solution. If the first bounce is very close to the net, then sure, the serve may become very short but also very slow giving your opponent valuable time. Worst case, it might bounce just a bit too close to the net on the other side, just a bit too high and become very easy to attack. My goal is to aim for the middle or 2/3 into the table for a little faster serve that just barely double bounces. Getting my opponent to doubt if the serve becomes half-long is always nice.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,678 5,643
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 5,643 2,678
    Need to develop more contact and feel as i always suggest.

This user has no status.

R
    This user has no status.

Sure if we talk strategy, I was only talking about the technique to get the serve to be short on top spin serves.

Quote Originally Posted by whocarez
    Not exaxtly right, the wording was "closer to the net" and this is sometimes the solution. If the first bounce is very close to the net, then sure, the serve may become very short but also very slow giving your opponent valuable time. Worst case, it might bounce just a bit too close to the net on the other side, just a bit too high and become very easy to attack. My goal is to aim for the middle or 2/3 into the table for a little faster serve that just barely double bounces. Getting my opponent to doubt if the serve becomes half-long is always nice.

This user has no status.

W
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Oct 2017
    Norway
    Read 0 Reviews
    Sure if we talk strategy, I was only talking about the technique to get the serve to be short on top spin serves.
    So was I, there is not always just a a single solution.

This user has no status.

R
    This user has no status.

Where I come from the definition of "short serve" is a serve with a double bounce (or more) on the table.

So was I, there is not always just a a single solution.

This user has no status.

W
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Oct 2017
    Norway
    Read 0 Reviews
    Where I come from the definition of "short serve" is a serve with a double bounce (or more) on the table.
    Yes? Your point being?

This user has no status.

R
    This user has no status.

Your aim was to make a serve that barely double bounces you wrote. OP's questions wasn't regarding tactical choices but technique how to keep the serve short (double bounce), not "barely double bounce because that is not considered a short serve. Not semantics.

Yes? Your point being?

This user has no status.

W
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Oct 2017
    Norway
    Read 0 Reviews
    Your aim was to make a serve that barely double bounces you wrote. OP's questions wasn't regarding tactical choices but technique how to keep the serve short (double bounce), not "barely double bounce because that is not considered a short serve. Not semantics.
    Bullshit, a barely double bounce is still a double bounce and considered a short serve. You can change the world 'barely', with 'just' or whatever the word you want. It bounces twice, the second bounce being on the table.

Question: to make a short serve, must the first bounce be as close as possible to the net on your side?

This user has no status.

R
    This user has no status.

Bullshit, a barely double bounce is still a double bounce and considered a short serve. You can change the world 'barely', with 'just' or whatever the word you want. It bounces twice, the second bounce being on the table.

Question: to make a short serve, must the first bounce be as close as possible to the net on your side?
    Yes to make a short serve the bounce on your side should be close to the net.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 1,170 851
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 851 1,170
    It's not my best serve but a useful one and I can pull it off.

When I do this serve I just try to focus on making the 1st bounce middle of the table or close to the net and it's okay if this serve is slow. If the serve bounces close to your end line it'll be next to impossible from not having it go long. So that 1st bounce has to be close to the net. This is a slow serve for me.

Even if it's not the spinniest short side/topspin serve I have. You could call this serve of mine dead to slight side/top, I'm really less concerned with how much spin is on it rather more so is it short, is it slow (like a backspin serve is) and can I get lucky in that they're tricked and push it. I suppose the more spin will happen the more you finely graze it.

Side note. Always be ready to counter a flick when doing this in case they're not fooled at all.

The Following User Likes suds79's Post:

perham

says Looping

Senior TTD Member 537 840
    says Looping

Senior TTD Member 840 537

We call that half long.

The Following User Likes FruitLoop's Post:

RidTheKid

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast