Fan Zhendong Reverse Pendulum (Fake motion)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Fan Zhendong do Reverse Pendulum from rising arm higher to lowering. I have been using this and I found that I can do pendulum serve with fake motion of Reverse pendulum bcs of almost vertical racket angle than normal reverse pendelum serve which most ppl do. Therefore, Does Fan Zhendong do pendulum with fake motion of Reverse Pendelum?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any chance you can post footage of your serve that you are trying to describe?

One reason why a player like FZD might use a reverse pendulum serve is, the spin on that serve, whether you are receiving the serve, or receiving the return from the serve, goes very well with if you like to open with your BH on balls that are over the table.

However, without even bothering to check, I am sure FZD can serve regular pendulum with a fake move that looks a little like his reverse, and I am 1000% positive that he uses a reverse pendulum serve as well.

Reactions: Foxy
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Simple answer: no he does not. The only "fake" motion i saw him ever doing was going into his position for the reverse one, but did just a normal pendulum serve. But that cant be called a fakemotion at all

Yeah. I think the top Chinese players serves are so good that they don't need gimmicks. The power of a pendulum comes from such a different place than the reverse. But those guys can serve, side, back, top, heavy, lighter spins with so close to the same motion that the deception is built into the serve. And at that level a fake racket motion after contact is not going to fool the top players.

Reactions: IB66
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. I think the top Chinese players serves are so good that they don't need gimmicks. The power of a pendulum comes from such a different place than the reverse. But those guys can serve, side, back, top, heavy, lighter spins with so close to the same motion that the deception is built into the serve. And at that level a fake racket motion after contact is not going to fool the top players.

One motion, different contact timing creates different spins, very deceptive without having to fake the deception!!!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
One motion, different contact timing creates different spins, very deceptive without having to fake the deception!!!

Right. So any of those guys could use fake motions for their deception. But must top players use what you are talking about instead.

In this video, Schlager does a good job of making the subject of ways to change the spin where it is harder to see the change in spin from the racket motion:

I think he starts getting into the heart of the subject somewhere between 3:00 and 3:30. But I think waiting through the beginning of the video is still valuable if you have not seen it.

Somewhere in there he shows how Jun Mizutani uses one specific motion for different spins that is different than how a lot of other players do it.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Right. So any of those guys could use fake motions for their deception. But must top players use what you are talking about instead.

In this video, Schlager does a good job of making the subject of ways to change the spin where it is harder to see the change in spin from the racket motion:

I think he starts getting into the heart of the subject somewhere between 3:00 and 3:30. But I think waiting through the beginning of the video is still valuable if you have not seen it.

Somewhere in there he shows how Jun Mizutani uses one specific motion for different spins that is different than how a lot of other players do it.

nice clip!! Still a bugger to master the timing for the different contact points and co-ordinating wrist and finger pressure!! ;);)
They make it look too easy!!!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
nice clip!! Still a bugger to master the timing for the different contact points and co-ordinating wrist and finger pressure!! ;);)
They make it look too easy!!!

Adults often tend to overthink. I actually think, the way people describe the "finger pressure" thing gets people confused. If you time the acceleration and whip with the contact, you don't have to think about contracting anything or applying pressure to the blade face with your fingers. It happens because of the mechanics. Just like, I don't change my grip, but my grip changes for different shots. :)

And if you think about doing all the little details, I could see that getting in the way of things falling into place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olio and Richie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020
Nice clip, I saw that a few weeks ago in tomorrow table tennis. Its incredible. Another huge level ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Adults often tend to overthink. I actually think, the way people describe the "finger pressure" thing gets people confused. If you time the acceleration and whip with the contact, you don't have to think about contracting anything or applying pressure to the blade face with your fingers. It happens because of the mechanics. Just like, I don't change my grip, but my grip changes for different shots. :)

And if you think about doing all the little details, I could see that getting in the way of things falling into place.

You see the problem and you pick one of these to fix that problem. If it’s not your problem, then don’t fix it :cool: But when you fix, you gotta do only 1 or 2 things and then other things will come in. People tend to pick all these 10 things and say “Oh. I need to do this and that and that and then I’ll be in the next level” whereas they may not be relevant to you. (Either you are not there yet, you gotta fix something else first / or you’ve already been doing it naturally)

I personally found the pinching and focusing on the fingers very critical. My focus shifted to them and the ghost serve just clicked in very easily. Similarly the side spin on the serve was out of control until just 2 weeks ago when I found an advice to use the other 3 fingers to stabilise the bat (without directly touching it) and it worked.

But again, all these have to come AFTER I learnt how to relax and get very soft with the whole body, keeping my elbow in station without any force (which took me 2 months). Otherwise, pinching fingers probably would make it a lot worse.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl