Who has the best backhand in tabletennis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2021
Looking for peoples opinions here. Partially due to me currently trying to improve my backhand topspin stroke and looking for inspiration.

I feel like i often see fan zhendong and harimoto mentioned in this type of conversation, but even though they're undeniably effective I personally don't like the look of their BH topspins. Would like to hear others' thoughts on which pros have some of the strongest backhands

says Rozena! You complete me.
Looking for peoples opinions here. Partially due to me currently trying to improve my backhand topspin stroke and looking for inspiration.

I feel like i often see fan zhendong and harimoto mentioned in this type of conversation, but even though they're undeniably effective I personally don't like the look of their BH topspins. Would like to hear others' thoughts on which pros have some of the strongest backhands

Dimitri Ovtcharov
Liam Pitchford
on the European side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
In europe Dima is right up there for sure. Darko Jorgic has also a strong backhand, and if we count with retired and semi-retired then Karakasevic and Kreanga are backhand legends.

In asia I think FZD is the stronges and probably the best, and right behind him are Lin Yun-Ju, Wang Chuqin.
But there are some very effective but not so powerful backhands, like Jeoung Youngsik, Koki Niwa or not to exclude Mima Ito.

From America I think Calderano is also really strong competing with Dima and FZD.

For very visually pleasing "textbook" style the Yoshimura brothers are a good example.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

Dont confine yourself to the men. To me Mima Ito has the most interesting and creative backhand
for the men I would choose Ma Long:- not spectacular but full of intelligent variety
FZD shot is wonderful but he doesnt seem to control the rally like Ma Long and Ito.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Jokas who are ignoring Samsonov and Oh Sang Uhn are truly haters.

Props for both! It might not be the hippest of remarks, but I’d say Boll’s BH (outstanding pressure and stability) and Waldner’s (solid, unpredictable) deserve a mention as well.

Reactions: TaiHaoPingPong
This user has no status.

Benedek Oláh

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021

Zhang Jike had an excellent backhand.
Since you’ve also received some answers about the more powerful and modern backhands, I’d also like to nominate Timo Boll.

His backhand is very controlled and appears to have very high spin. Timo Boll was one of the first two winged loopers I believe, his backhand is basically identical to his forehand and he can do side spin-topspin with it: it’s a thing of beauty in my opinion. Like Federer in Tennis — beautiful, if not quite the best.

Wang Hao easily has the best rpb (Wong Chun Ting’s isn’t bad either). I’m surprised no one has mentioned Matthias Falck yet as well.

Reactions: TaiHaoPingPong