Viscaria Super ALC release!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
I received mine yesterday in the ST handle. Put 09C on both sides. After playing with it for a couple hours, there is definitely a noticeable increase in speed and spin without a noticeable drop off in the short game and touches. I love it! The biggest thing I had to get used to was the ST handle. I have only played FL in the past but I decided to try to ST since I don't have very large hands. I'm glad I ordered it!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
is Super ALC a proprietary material made by BTY? Or is it a industrial material standardly available?

How hard would it be for other companies like DHS to come out with their own Super ALC?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
is Super ALC a proprietary material made by BTY? Or is it a industrial material standardly available?

How hard would it be for other companies like DHS to come out with their own Super ALC?

It is material only made by Butterfly.
All Super ALC or Super ZLC refers to is a different weave of Arylate and Carbon or Zylon and Carbon where there is a little more of the POLYMER (Arylate or Zylon) in the weave. By calling it Super, Butterfly is making people think it is better. But all it is is a different balance of Arylate to Carbon or Zylon to Carbon where the polymer/carbon ratio is tilted a little more towards the polymer.

Any company can make their own blend of Arylate and Carbon or Zylon and Carbon and call it Uber, or Super, or Fantasmigorical.

The people who are salivating about the Super ALC don't realize that most top pros will still just use the regular ALC rather than ZLC, Super ZLC or Super ALC. The reason, Arylate and Zylon, as polymers are soft materials that are a little like Polyester and a little like plastic. I have several charging cables that use arylate in the coating to make the cable housing stronger so it is harder to damage. By having MORE of a soft plastic like material in the COMPOSITE Layer, it will make the blade have a softer springier feeling. That makes the blade less linear and less predictable.

The original versions of Arylate blades are an excellent blend that lets you have a little more spin as they let the ball sink into the blade face just a tiny bit more than if it was just carbon. It is enough to have the blade respond (in certain ways) more like an all wood blade, while still maintaining many of the desirable characteristics of a carbon blade (lighter with more speed). So, the result is, a blade that is harder to control when you are mid distance (power looping distance) or farther: which is also why so few top pros would use one of these blades.

A player of average club level will often not have the impact power on contact to be able to feel this difference or tell how the Super ALC is less stable than the regular version. But a high level player will.

I have a friend who used to be sponsored by Butterfly. When the ZJK Super ZLC first came out. I got him to order one. He played with it for 5 min and determined that it was an unplayable blade because of how NON-LINEAR it was when he played further back from the table. It took him 5 min to feel he did not want to use it.

There was a point where Butterfly made a Jun Mizutani Super ZLC blade. He used after it came out for 3 tournaments and went right back to the normal ZLC version.

Think about it and think about why you guys are frenetic about a piece of equipment. And then go and train instead. :) Okay, it is fun to explore new equipment. But make sure you can afford what you buy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Why is non-linear a bad feature? Doesnt that mean he is getting extra catapult from the blade? Why doesnt he like that?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I actually hit with the ZJK SZLC a couple days ago, I actually found quite the opposite. I found the blade TOO linear and too direct. It felt quite stiff, I couldn't get a good loop out of it.

Reactions: TTboy

NDH

says Spin to win!
Why is non-linear a bad feature? Doesnt that mean he is getting extra catapult from the blade? Why doesnt he like that?

I have always understood the term "non linear" to mean the following - Although I expect others may see it differently.

A non linear blade will give you unpredictable results.

If you hit a shot with 20% more power, you may get 35% more power - Which makes it very hard to judge and trust.

A linear blade gives you back, what you put in.

If you hit a 20% shot, you get 20% back - If you up it to 50%, you get 50% back. You can expect the output to match the input.

Regarding the Super ALC - As Carl said.... Just take a look at the people using Super ZLC, the most expensive and "best" blade type according to Butterfly.

Not many (any) pros using it as far as I can see, and even ZLC isn't as popular as boring old ALC or similar.......

Buy this blade because you want to, because the design is nice or you like the thought of having the "latest tech" so to speak.

Do not buy this blade to be a better table tennis player......

NDH

says Spin to win!
I actually hit with the ZJK SZLC a couple days ago, I actually found quite the opposite. I found the blade TOO linear and too direct. It felt quite stiff, I couldn't get a good loop out of it.

This is going to sound brutally honest, and I mean no disrespect in the slightest.......

If you can't get a decent loop with the blade, it's because your technique just isn't quite there yet, and these fast blades are definitely not for you.

Good players will be able to get good loops with defensive blades and rubbers.

If more players focussed on improving their core game, getting coaching and sticking with equipment that wasn't too fast, they'd be much better.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A player of average club level will often not have the impact power on contact to be able to feel this difference or tell how the Super ALC is less stable than the regular version. But a high level player will.

I have quoted the applicable part of my post that it seems you have failed to understand. :)

For the rest, read NDH's posts. BTW: I remember the footage I have seen of you. You definitely did not have the technique to have anything close to the kind of impact power on contact that I am referring to in the quote from me above. Nor do most players on the forum. However, from footage I have seen I would venture a guess that NDH seems to have it. :)

Reactions: thomas.pong and NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
To me, the ZJK SZLC is far more linear than the HL5. HL5 is slow on slow and medium shots, and suddenly ramps up in power on faster shots. According to your definition, this is precisely "non-linear". HL5 is popular with top players it seems, and from my experience playing with it, its very easy to use to hit powerful shots. I can get very spinny and powerful loops out of it. So the non-linearity of a blade doesn't seem to turn off pro players. And it certainly doesn't make it hard to use.

I believe Lin YunJu uses SZLC. SZLC blade, in my experience, is more linear than HL5. It is much stiffer than HL5, and i guess its more predictable. Here, Kenta Matsudaira compares some butterfly blades and he seems to have the same conclusion as me. SZLC is direct and linear, it flies off the blade directly and quickly. And he also says its the most difficult blade to loop with, I guess because there is less flex and dwell time. In the video, you can see that Kenta misses a number of loops with the SZLC and seems surprised by it. Later he backs up and tries distance loops. He initially guessed SZLC would be best, because of the power, but it ended being very difficult for him to do distance loops as well. My experience is consistent with Kenta's comments, the blade is quite stiff and hard to loop with.

So, my point is: I can see why your friend didn't like using the SZLC. But "non linear" being the reason doesn't seem consistent to me. I had trouble looping with SZLC, as does Kenta, and maybe your friend too. I don't have trouble looping with HL5 at all. In fact I find it the best looping blade.

• Love
Reactions: ShakeHold PenHand