Recommendation: Three different setups (Primorac, Innerforce ALC, Viscaria) for which player?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hi everyone,
i am very interested in your thoughts on the following topic.

We take three different setups.
Which setup would you prefer oder recommend for what kind of player?
What major differences will these setups have? Regarding speed, control, spin, short short play, and so on?

Setups:
1) Butterfly Viscaria (light one that is not that fast, e.g. 82g) with slower more medium-soft rubbers like forehand: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft (43deg.) - backhand: Andro Hexer Power sponge (38 degrees).
Blade has a frequency around 1380Hz.

2) Butterfly Innerforce ALC (middle 85g) with medium rubbers like forehand: Yasaka Rakza 7 (47.5) - backhand: Butterfly Rozena (44)
Blade has a frequency around 1330Hz.

3) Butterfly Primorac Japan (86-89g) with a tight more hard rubbers like forehand and backhand Butterfly Glayzer (48-50)
Blade has a frequency around 1250Hz.

---

So theoretically: Which one would you prefer and why?

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
I believe my thoughts on this type of question differ to some others on this forum, but here goes anyway.

You go into quite specific detail (talking about the Hz, weight of the blade and hardness of the rubber).

99.9999% of players will not know, care, or understand the advantages/disadvantages of each characteristic.

So I guess a question back to you would be...... Is this question simply a "hypothetical" question, or is it specific to you?

What major differences will these setups have? Regarind speed, control, spin, short short play, and so on?

I also feel people look too much into this, especially with similar set ups.

Yes, there will be small differences, but the first 2 set ups you've chosen are very advanced and only for players who can play consistently on forehand and backhand.

The 3rd set up is a good recommendation for a developing player - Someone who has the basic strokes sorted, but looking to improve with control.

However, it's also a set up that would last all the way into the top tiers of most table tennis leagues.

Last edited:

mil

This user has no status.

mil

This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I would not recommend anything below that 43 degrees even for a recreational player. That is overcompensating the blade - do not go for outer carbon if you have to use 38d...

Setup No. 2 makes most sense for an offensive developing player, inner carbon touch, not too soft.

No. 3 - why would you buy the japan version and than a weaker rubber, the normal version will do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
I believe my thoughts on this type of question differ to some others on this forum, but here goes anyway.

You go into quite specific detail (talking about the Hz, weight of the blade and hardness of the rubber).

99.9999% of players will not no, care, or understand the advantages/disadvantages of each characteristic.

So I guess a question back to you would be...... Is this question simply a "hypothetical" question, or is it specific to you?

I also feel people look too much into this, especially with similar set ups.

Yes, there will be small differences, but the first 2 set ups you've chosen are very advanced and only for players who can play consistently on forehand and backhand.

The 3rd set up is a good recommendation for a developing player - Someone who has the basic strokes sorted, but looking to improve with control.

However, it's also a set up that would last all the way into the top tiers of most table tennis leagues.
Thank you for your pleasant and helpful answer.
it is both, I want to learn more about equipment and how it behaves. Especially for what kind of player specific equipment could be the best choice.
as well specific to me, because at the end of our season I want to try out some new blades or rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Hey there,
would love to hear more thoughts on that :D

Anyone using for example a kind of setup like Viscera with more soft rubbers as an offensive attacker? And can compare to an Allround / Off+ 5ply wood like Primorac with medium rubbers?

Last edited:
says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Main difference is speed of the blades, the 1st 2 are faster than the 3rd.

Better to us BTY's blade chart as a guide.
This shows a more even spread of the difference in speed.

Viscaria rated at about 11.8 reaction (speed)
Innerforce ALC about 10.7 reaction
Primorac (all wood) about 10 reaction

Your profile shows the Vistas fire fall FC, which has some carbon placed on the core, similar to the Inner force ALC.
So blade wise, the V FF FC is going to be close to the IF ALC regarding speed, could be a tad slower could be a tad quicker. ???
I can't see what rubbers you use ??

The Primorac all wood (Japan made), is a great blade, I have 2 of them. Personally I'd pay the extra compared to a Euro made Primorac. But the Euro version is still excellent!!!

If you want to know more about how different blades and rubbers play, then get your credit card out, and buy stuff, welcome to the EJ club!!!
In all honesty, it really is the only way to 'KNOW' for YOURSELF, how set ups play and feel.

There are generalisations, such as an All / All+ wood blade with rubbers with good grip and not too fast rubbers are better suited for beginners / intermediate level players, a slower set up, and this is pretty good advice.
But this can also be incorrect for certain types of players, it comes down to natural ability as well. I've seen young juniors pick up a slow set up hit 50 FH drives without missing a shot, then pick up a fast set up, make a couple of errors in the 1st 5 or 6 rallies, adapt and then hit 50 FH drives without error!! so what's best or better for them??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Hi everyone,
i am very interested in your thoughts on the following topic.

We take three different setups.
Which setup would you prefer oder recommend for what kind of player?
What major differences will these setups have? Regarding speed, control, spin, short short play, and so on?

Setups:
1) Butterfly Viscaria (light one that is not that fast, e.g. 82g) with slower more medium-soft rubbers like forehand: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft (43deg.) - backhand: Andro Hexer Power sponge (38 degrees).
Blade has a frequency around 1380Hz.

2) Butterfly Innerforce ALC (middle 85g) with medium rubbers like forehand: Yasaka Rakza 7 (47.5) - backhand: Butterfly Rozena (44)
Blade has a frequency around 1330Hz.

3) Butterfly Primorac Japan (86-89g) with a tight more hard rubbers like forehand and backhand Butterfly Glayzer (48-50)
Blade has a frequency around 1250Hz.

---

So theoretically: Which one would you prefer and why?
I got the viscaria and love it. I would go for that setup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Read 1 reviews
2. Cuz I like inner carbon even viscaria is tempting for crispness, and primorac’s control paradise where I dream to land every shot with it.

All these rubbers are similar for me, eventually they will be replaced with h3 or hybrid rubbers so, primorac would be too slow, viscaria will be too hard for me.