Restoring tackiness

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022
Anyone ever tried Pow'r Tack, or another product like it to restore tackiness? It is made for baseball bat grip or other sports equipment.

I am dissapointed how fast H3N lost its tackiness after only a month. I already tried Revolution Bio cleaner to little effect.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is entertaining. That is something that is used to cause your hands to stick to a baseball bat. You should look up what the chemical is. You might find it does funny things to rubber molecules. :)

Feel free to try it. But.....I think cleaning the topsheet frequently and storing the rubbers with a plastic film cover over the topsheet after cleaning when not in use would cause you to restore the tackiness and keep the tackiness.

Another thing you can do is:

1) clean the topsheet
2) put a dab of baby oil on the topsheet and spread it evenly over the entire topsheet,
3) leave the rubber for a week with a plastic film over it directly after first cleaning and then adding that tiny amount of baby oil

After a week with the plastic sheet on, the tackiness should be pretty strong again.

There is a strong possibility that the spray on resin thing you referred to would completely destroy your topsheet. Part of why rubber works for TT is the elastic qualities of the topsheet. So, you want that grippiness but you also need the elasticity. That spray on tackiness resin for causing your hands to grip to a baseball bat does not need to have elastic qualities of stretching and returning to its original shape.

But, but all means, try it and tell us what the results of your experiment are. H3 rubbers are not all that expensive after all. It would be a fun experiment.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
This is entertaining. That is something that is used to cause your hands to stick to a baseball bat. You should look up what the chemical is. You might find it does funny things to rubber molecules. :)

Feel free to try it. But.....I think cleaning the topsheet frequently and storing the rubbers with a plastic film cover over the topsheet after cleaning when not in use would cause you to restore the tackiness and keep the tackiness.

Another thing you can do is:

1) clean the topsheet
2) put a dab of baby oil on the topsheet and spread it evenly over the entire topsheet,
3) leave the rubber for a week with a plastic film over it directly after first cleaning and then adding that tiny amount of baby oil

After a week with the plastic sheet on, the tackiness should be pretty strong again.

There is a strong possibility that the spray on resin thing you referred to would completely destroy your topsheet. Part of why rubber works for TT is the elastic qualities of the topsheet. So, you want that grippiness but you also need the elasticity. That spray on tackiness resin for causing your hands to grip to a baseball bat does not need to have elastic qualities of stretching and returning to its original shape.

But, but all means, try it and tell us what the results of your experiment are. H3 rubbers are not all that expensive after all. It would be a fun experiment.

I shall try the baby oil-trick. I got a couple of H3 -39/2.15 on a blade but did not use them a lot, they still look like new.
However, while there is plenty of sticky on the black rubber, the the plastic cover needs quite a pull to get off , the red rubber does hardly
hold the plastic sheet in place.
A perfect setup to try the baby oil trick 😆

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Rozena! You complete me.
Here is an idea;

How about buying cheap commercial grade chinese rubber ( those that cost around USD 10.00 per pc ) perhaps in bulk for some discount and change it often say monthly. Hence you will have tackiness guaranteed each and every time. So, you spend around USD 240.00 per annum.

If you think it is too much, perhaps change it every quarterly?

Just an idea... workable?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
If I had the cheap $25 H3N I wouldn't be so dissapointed. I have the $100 blue National version, and remember the cheap one staying sticky way longer.

I have something else to try first, which is applying some sticky film meant to cover tables during storage, because I am convinced that the stickiness is nothing but residue from the sticky film that comes with it.

I know they sell this stuff made for this purpose, but buying a big roll is cheaper. Does anyone using these sticky films think they increase rubber stickiness?

Why don't they make a rubber like those frog toys you throw up against the wall that then walk down the wall? I want a rubber so sticky I can catch the ball on my paddle, and then throw it over the net for a winner every time!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
With H3, you really just need to put something like a sheet of plastic (does not need to be sticky) on the topsheet for a few days and the tackiness starts to come back. If you add a little baby oil and then put the sheet of plastic on, more of the tackiness will come back. But you should only do that once every few months.

And if it is the National H3, you definitely don't want to put that Power Tack stuff on it.

WD40 on the topsheet would work just as well as the baby oil.

Try it. Clean the topsheet first, put a dab of baby oil (or WD40) on the topsheet, put a sheet of plastic on the topsheet for a few days and see what happens. It should restore a decent amount of the tackiness.

Also, it is worth understanding that there is a reason the Higher Quality H3 National rubbers have less tackiness than the cheaper commercial versions.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Also, if the plastic sheet is sticky and the tackiness of the H3 returns more fully, often, when trying to take off the plastic sheet, you end up damaging the H3 topsheet because it won't unstick from the plastic sheet. To restore the tackiness, you actually want a plastic sheet that is NOT sticky. It will still stick to the H3 topsheet.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
With H3, you really just need to put something like a sheet of plastic (does not need to be sticky) on the topsheet for a few days and the tackiness starts to come back. If you add a little baby oil and then put the sheet of plastic on, more of the tackiness will come back. But you should only do that once every few months.

And if it is the National H3, you definitely don't want to put that Power Tack stuff on it.

WD40 on the topsheet would work just as well as the baby oil.

Try it. Clean the topsheet first, put a dab of baby oil (or WD40) on the topsheet, put a sheet of plastic on the topsheet for a few days and see what happens. It should restore a decent amount of the tackiness.

Also, it is worth understanding that there is a reason the Higher Quality H3 National rubbers have less tackiness than the cheaper commercial versions.

I remember using WD40 to make my slot car tires more sticky, wintergreen oil was another favorite. 😁

PS I just lifted the plastic cover sheet off my red rubber and even after less than 12 hours it has already gone sticky. Big thanks Carl.
and thanks Johnson baby oil 😂

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
I got a used xiom vega china which was sticky and shrunk, I smeared the sponge with 3 layers of baby oil and left it for a few days, finally it spread.
For the stickiness, I just tried it once, applying a thin layer using a cleaner like wd40. (In my case, I used a local brand of anti-rust multipurpose cleaner, only 1 time was enough) and it was quickly cleaned after using water, then continued to use a special rubber clean for table tennis rubber and it came back sticky.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
For your information, the latest batches of all provincial and national H3 are only half tacky, or the tack was designed to fade more quickly than before. It was manufactured in this way on purpose in order to increase the speed in the plastic era.

This has been confirmed by my dealer and other experienced users in China. DHS is still using old formula in Skyline 2 & 3 provincial hence they are still tacky as hell.

I was lucky to get my hands on an old batch of National H3. Loving it

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

GONE IS GONE.
The bottom tacky layer is gone in a month due to meckanical abrasion. Gone is gone, sorry. You cant get the H3 original tackiness back because the outer tacky layer got all erased like a grinding stone/

• Haha
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

GONE IS GONE.
The bottom tacky layer is gone in a month due to meckanical abrasion. Gone is gone, sorry. You cant get the H3 original tackiness back because the outer tacky layer got all erased like a grinding stone/

Olde german saying: Was ist theorie ? -- when's gehen soll und geht doch nie !
Was is praxis ? Frag nicht so dumm - when's geht und keiner weiss warum 😁

Reactions: MK73

erm

This user has no status.

erm

This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Read 1 reviews
when you start with a new sheet make sure you clean it well after you play and immediately place a plastic cover over the H3...it will trap the moisture and keep the stickiness longer...if you trap too much moister you will notice the rubber be sticky but will get slower so don't use too much cleaner or water to clean them...hope this helps

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Strange.
My almost 2 month old commercial red H3N still sticks firmly to the cover sheet and has enough tackiness. I'm using the simple cover sheet that came with it in the package. After playing I clean with water and put cover. The rubber is used on BH though and has cca 30 hours of use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
I tried the oil thing with hair clipper oil, which I presume is mineral oil, and it worked like a charm. I applied three coats, which all absorbed into the rubber. It picks up and holds a ball again!

I will not waste my money on Pow'r Tack spray and will not try the sticky table covering film until ready to replace the rubber, or more likely will throw the roll of film in a closer and forget about it, since the unsticky film I cover the paddle with sticks to it just fine now.

I think the reason my tack wore off faster than normal was from cleaning with paper towels instead of a soft sponge.

Any advice on the best sponge to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.