Tack of the rubber gone

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That is not always the case. In my cljb there os player who puts his pointing finger (dont know proper translation sorry) in the middle of the racket (at the place usually where the sweet spot is) in his forehand strokes and moves it out of the way for.the BH. That very player had his rubber topsheet unglued from the sponge (bubbled) where the finger eould lay. He had big hands though, for others this may not be even possible.

Fair enough. Someone with a weird grip who switches grip dramatically from FH to BH.

Still, for BH, high quality contact happens close to the tip of the blade not in the center. So, unless his index finger was more than 3/4 the way to the tip, it should not be where he actually contacts the ball. BH, gets extra power from contacting closer to the tip than the FH. And this is frequently how good players contact with BH because you take BH directly in front of you. Whereas, you take the FH to your side and in front (ideally).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Since you mentioned the part that the finger contact the rubber, is there anyway to make it less slippy? My fingers isnt fixed i that position and my grip gets loose after some time in the rally

You want your grip to be relaxed and have the freedom to shift. You don't want your grip to be rigidly in one position. It is not that YOU switch your grip. But when you do different shots, your hand position will shift. And as a result, your grip will shift even if you did not try to switch grips.

You want that to happen. And you want to keep your hand and arm relaxed.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I will do this when I get a new sheet or when the tack is restored, but for now the thing I need to know is how can I restore not maintain it, but I appreciate your tips :)

You must apply a protective film to the adhesive rubbers after each play, otherwise the top sheet oxidizes and loses stickiness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Makes sense. But i have a feeling that a chemical reaction is taking place. Maybe oil from the finger? if finger is placed on glasses, u can see the little amount of residue. Maybe that oil residue adds up and gets soaked in causing it to smooth

The good news is, the part where your index finger contacts the rubber is not the part where you contact the ball. All rubbers lose their grip (or tack) on the part where your fingers press the rubber. That part is being constantly rubbed and pressed by your fingers. So it is probably more that than the sweat since it happens to people who sweat a lot and people who don't sweat much at all in their hands. I rarely feel sweat on my fingers. But where my fingers contact the rubber wears out faster as well.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Makes sense. But i have a feeling that a chemical reaction is taking place. Maybe oil from the finger? if finger is placed on glasses, u can see the little amount of residue. Maybe that oil residue adds up and gets soaked in causing it to smooth

Yeah. To a certain extent.

If you put booster oil, or baby oil on the sponge it makes the sponge expand, but, over time it makes the sponge deteriorate. If you put booster oil or baby oil on the topsheet and let it sink in, for a time it makes it more grippy, but it also causes the rubber molecules to break down faster so, in the long run, it makes the rubber wear out faster.

I do think it is a decent amount from the wear of the fingers moving and pressing on the topsheet. But, our skin and our sweat has natural oils in it. So, that may be, to some extent part of what is going on as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
if sebum could be contributing to the quick loss of tack on rubber around the index finger part, could the amount of sebum in sweat quicken the loss of tack if wiping down rubber that way? Just a thought

says Hello! My name is Cielo (pronounced Shell-o). I grew up...
says Hello! My name is Cielo (pronounced Shell-o). I grew up...
Oct 2019
I remember they used to sell this rubber coat that makes your rubber tacky. Do they still sell those??? I'm not familiar with the rubber you are using but would it be because of the rubber itself? I wonder if it's worth comparing it to the quality of dignics09c?

Also, if you pin your finger down to that one spot of the rubber, it will create a mark that you cannot erase. It's unavoidable sometimes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
i was trying some gentle dishwashing liquid on the rubber where the index finger is. My theory is that dishwashing liquid somehow displace the sebum from skin thats being absorbed. Pressing and hoping to absorb the possible sebum. Interestingly, its showing some positive results. The tack on that part of the rubber is remaining for longer.

Its on a tibhar k1 fyi.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
Or maybe the tack from the liquid itself :cool:

I would suggest u hit harder and leave a lot more marks on the rubber so that a little mark showing your finger wouldn’t mind you anymore. My H3, the sweet spot is probably a lot less tacky than where the thumb is, and looks greyish. It’s ok :cool:

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
i was trying some gentle dishwashing liquid on the rubber where the index finger is. My theory is that dishwashing liquid somehow displace the sebum from skin thats being absorbed. Pressing and hoping to absorb the possible sebum. Interestingly, its showing some positive results. The tack on that part of the rubber is remaining for longer.

Its on a tibhar k1 fyi.

Yeah, it is worth knowing that dish detergent damages the molecular structure of the rubber. The sweat and oils from your finger may damage the rubber. And you can't really stop that. But the dish detergent, in the long run, won't stop you putting your fingers there. But it will cause damage to the rubber that will, over time, amplify the damage created by your fingers.

I find humans do things that are very odd when they want their equipment to seem as though it is brand new when it has been used. Use your racket and don't fuss about things that are not important like where your fingers touch the rubber or whether your handle shows some dirt, or whether you ding the edge of your blade. Those things do not affect the quality of play of the racket.

yeah, it is worth knowing that dish detergent damages the molecular structure of the rubber. The sweat and oils from your finger may damage the rubber. And you can't really stop that. But the dish detergent, in the long run, won't stop you putting your fingers there. But it will cause damage to the rubber that will, over time, amplify the damage created by your fingers.

I find humans do things that are very odd when they want their equipment to seem as though it is brand new when it has been used. Use your racket and don't fuss about things that are not important like where your fingers touch the rubber or whether your handle shows some dirt, or whether you ding the edge of your blade. Those things do not affect the quality of play of the racket.

preach!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
I do agree with u but not all. Sorry, I dont think its odd at all. This is hobby to me and probably many others. I think curiosity is a good attribute to have and if its put to experiment with own equipment and stuff, sure. I dont find it anywhere near weird or odd.

And the bats are nice pieces of equipment and part of the enjoyment. I dont wipe down the handles as much, only when dirts build up causes it to be too smooth. But I do enjoy trying out different rubbers and understanding how to keep up with it. If detergent damages rubber, great, more knowledge, then off to the next experimentation.

Yeah, it is worth knowing that dish detergent damages the molecular structure of the rubber. The sweat and oils from your finger may damage the rubber. And you can't really stop that. But the dish detergent, in the long run, won't stop you putting your fingers there. But it will cause damage to the rubber that will, over time, amplify the damage created by your fingers.

Last edited:
I got this from my experience by used the rubber for 1 year until now(played average 2-3 hrs/day). It's up to you, don't believe me, just try-out that you wanna do.

It does make the rubber taclier but in the long it is not a good way to clean a rubber using sweat.