Blade Wings

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
matt243385;364597I have baby hands, and I sanded down the wings of my viscaria considerably in order for it to be comfortable. Im wondering does that change the sweet spot or feeling of the blade in any way as i changed the way im gripping the blade?
Funny, I would think the wings would bother you less if you had smaller hands. But..... :)

Care to show a photo of what you have done to the wings of your blade?

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

i think it is obvious that the more one rasps away of the wings the less rigid the blade will become .
If one would get rid of the wings completely one might even brake it off just giving it a good whack.
This sound extreme but i once hit a double partner on the wrist . She wore a bracelet. The bracelet
went one way and the blade with rubber shot through the hall. All i held in my hand was the handle.
Nobody got hurt and i had not even done any rasping to the wings

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Sometimes the square edge of the wings can sort of feel sharpish, and dig into the soft flesh between thumb and index finger. A light sand to round of the edges is usually enough to increase the comfort factor.
Rather than make the wings smaller by excessive sanding down, which is likely to make the blade more flexible and reducing the strength.
You could try a Dotec blade by Donic, these blades have pretty large handles and are ‘ergonomic’ shaped handles. But the take away part for me was the wings were thicker and rounded off really nicely. I have had a few blades made with ‘Dotec’ style wings. Very comfortable.

it would be good to see both a photo of a blade you have sanded down and also one showing how you actually grip the racket. There’s a chance that a slight grip adjustment could remove the wing issue.

This user has no status.
Funny, I would think the wings would bother you less if you had smaller hands. But..... :)

Care to show a photo of what you have done to the wings of your blade?

I felt the handle was a little short with the wings so if it makes sense i also sanded it down to move my hand "in" more?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is the wings and how I hold my blade.

Edit: I dont have the necessary 5 posts to post photos.

Just make two more posts, even if they don't say anything. Do it in this thread and then you can post the photos.

This user has no status.

Just make two more posts, even if they don't say anything. Do it in this thread and then you can post the photos.

Here is my blade and how I hold it. I’m a backhand dominant player and I think my grip is sort of adjusted for backhand.
PS: dont ask why my blade is backwards... I like it that way ;0

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is my blade and how I hold it. I’m a backhand dominant player and I think my grip is sort of adjusted for backhand.

Okay. Your hands are not small. Perhaps they are a little large. Index finger hanging over the edge of the rubber means not a little hand. It would hang over more if you had really big hands but they are big enough.

If you look at the photo where with the black rubber out where you can see your thumb, if you look at the butt of the handle, and how much of it sticks out below the bottom edge of your hand, you don't need to grab higher up on the blade face. However, if that feels good to you, and you like how your blade plays with the modification you have made, I see nothing wrong with it.

I removed the photos that show how you have modified the blade. But the modification looks okay to me. A few years down the road, the blade could crack at the neck as a result. But, blades break for lots of reasons. So....

BTW: it is your racket. You get to decide which is the FH side and which is the BH side. There is no actual rule on that. It is just personal choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt243385
This user has no status.

Okay. Your hands are not small. Perhaps they are a little large. Index finger hanging over the edge of the rubber means not a little hand. It would hang over more if you had really big hands but they are big enough.

If you look at the photo where with the black rubber out where you can see your thumb, if you look at the butt of the handle, and how much of it sticks out below the bottom edge of your hand, you don't need to grab higher up on the blade face. However, if that feels good to you, and you like how your blade plays with the modification you have made, I see nothing wrong with it.

I removed the photos that show how you have modified the blade. But the modification looks okay to me. A few years down the road, the blade could crack at the neck as a result. But, blades break for lots of reasons. So....

BTW: it is your racket. You get to decide which is the FH side and which is the BH side. There is no actual rule on that. It is just personal choice.

Thanks for the advice! I feel its a lot more comfortable to execute backhand stokes and have it feel more natural.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
are penhold blades welcome to this discussion?

I don't get why you would discuss penhold blades in this thread about one specific shakehand blade. Why don't you start a thread about the blade or blades you want to discuss.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Thanks for the advice! I feel its a lot more comfortable to execute backhand stokes and have it feel more natural.

And if that is the case, you don't need any further information than that it makes the blade work better for you. At least, that is my perspective on the issue.

You realize that by gripping the blade that high You are loosing power. The lower the grip the more momentum You will get.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl