Factory ReTuning question

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
If I buy a factory tuned rubber and if the tuning wears off after a while, do I send the rubber back to the factory for retuning, unless I want to use a rubber with dead sponge ?
Because I am told that chemical teratment of a rubber outside the facory is illegal

• Haha
Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Which rubber are you thinking to buy?

Most "factory tuned" rubbers don't really need to be re-tuned. They mostly just keep their out of package playing properties.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Which rubber are you thinking to buy?

Most "factory tuned" rubbers don't really need to be re-tuned. They mostly just keep their out of package playing properties.

Now obviously I don't understand what tuning means. My understanding was that factory tuning means factory boosting of the sponge and this is why these rubbers come in a sealed package unlike most regular untuned rubbers. The boosters cannot last forever because if liquid, they must evaporate somehow & the sponge becomes essentially dead or less springy or whatever ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well factory tuned rubber is probably sitting in the warehouse for some weeks or months before it is sold and reaches the customer. So what I have found is that factory tuned rubber is a little bouncier out of package compared to non-tuned rubber, but generally does not lose its bounciness over time.

For example, I have a sheet of Yinhe Big Dipper which I bought in 2017. Even today, its still just as fast and bouncy as a brand new sheet of Big Dipper which I bought in 2022. In fact, I think the 2017 batch was a little better and even faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Well factory tuned rubber is probably sitting in the warehouse for some weeks or months before it is sold and reaches the customer. So what I have found is that factory tuned rubber is a little bouncier out of package compared to non-tuned rubber, but generally does not lose its bounciness over time.

For example, I have a sheet of Yinhe Big Dipper which I bought in 2017. Even today, its still just as fast and bouncy as a brand new sheet of Big Dipper which I bought in 2022. In fact, I think the 2017 batch was a little better and even faster.
That still does not address my question as to whether (factory) tuning is same as boosting. Just a question , not blaming you.
If boosting & (factory) tuning are not the same , what then is advantage of a tuned rubber.

Assuming they mean the same, why would anyone engage in messy boosting then ? Why would most pros boost on their own? They could easily ask the factory to send some sheets (free) , the way want it "tuned"

Also if it had been sitting in factory or warehouse, as I said it is inside a sealed package. The evaporation starts only after the seal is opened by the customer (Of course I am assuming again that tuning is same as boosting)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Boosting and Tuning is the same.

I think top pros do in fact receive custom rubbers that are heavily tuned in the factory before receiving them.

But some people want to boost on their own to control their level of boosting.

But you can just try it for yourself if you don't believe me. In my experience, factory tuned rubbers (even in the sealed packages), do not have the same effect as boosting yourself. And even after many years, the rubber is still largely the same, so you do not need to send it back to the factory.

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Little knowledge is a danger thing. Factory boosting is a non-expert's wild speculation, non-expert conjecture. Yeti Big Foot, a wild fib to fool immature ones.

Last edited: