Back to Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1. Michael Zhuang is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 129 1,113
    M
    Michael Zhuang is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,113 129

    User Info Menu


    Aug 2021
    1,113
    129
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #1

    Is it necessary to glue the blade and rubber?

    I normally only glue the blade and just stick on the rubber, but is it actually necessary to glue the rubber as well?

    I notice that sometimes the rubber visibly sticks onto the blade and I don't see any air holes or detachment, but when I bounce the ball there is a weird "dead" feeling. It feels like the rubber isn't actually attached to the blade when it visibly appears to be.

    Do rubbers actually perform differently if you glue both the rubber and the blade?

  2. Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Master TTD Member 720 1,672
    Kuba Hajto's Avatar
    Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,672 720
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang
    I normally only glue the blade and just stick on the rubber, but is it actually necessary to glue the rubber as well?

    I notice that sometimes the rubber visibly sticks onto the blade and I don't see any air holes or detachment, but when I bounce the ball there is a weird "dead" feeling. It feels like the rubber isn't actually attached to the blade when it visibly appears to be.

    Do rubbers actually perform differently if you glue both the rubber and the blade?

    Welp. Most wtb glues are contact glues. They love each other the most. All official (made by manufacturers) guides were using glue on both surfaces. I suggest doing the same.

    The Following 2 Users Like Kuba Hajto's Post:

    lodro and SamTheMan

    /devnull

  3. lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Elite TTD Member 431 1,139
    L
    lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,139 431

    User Info Menu

    #3
    2 layers of glue onto the rubbers and 1 layer on the blade

    The Following User Likes lodro's Post:

    SamTheMan


  4. Dominikk85 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 145 343
    D
    Dominikk85 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 343 145

    User Info Menu


    Jul 2017
    Germany
    343
    145
    232
    Read 0 Reviews
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuba Hajto

    Welp. Most wtb glues are contact glues. They love each other the most. All official (made by manufacturers) guides were using glue on both surfaces. I suggest doing the same.

    I think some rubbers come with a premade glue layer on it though. I would probably still put on another glue layer


  5. Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 878 786
    B
    Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 786 878

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2015
    Christmas Island
    786
    878
    1893
    Read 0 Reviews
    #5
    Yes it is actually necessary.

    The Following User Likes Brs's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl


  6. Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Master TTD Member 720 1,672
    Kuba Hajto's Avatar
    Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,672 720
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominikk85

    I think some rubbers come with a premade glue layer on it though. I would probably still put on another glue layer

    I highly suggest putting another layer over yinhe pre glued sheets. They are way too strong.

    /devnull

  7. Way Zooted is offline
    says https://sunrisetabletennis.com
     
    TTD Member 22 38
    Way Zooted's Avatar
    Way Zooted is offline
    says https://sunrisetabletennis.com
     
    TTD Member 38 22

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2016
    United States
    38
    22
    76
    Read 0 Reviews
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuba Hajto

    I highly suggest putting another layer over yinhe pre glued sheets. They are way too strong.

    I've used a lot of Yinhe rubbers (and some others) with the factory glue layer and always glue just the blade. I've never had any problems. Actually wish all rubbers came that way, so convenient. I also use the same method when boosting over old glue. Just glue the blade and stick. But either way, I have glue on both blade and rubber.

    Last edited by Way Zooted; 05-21-2022 at 12:30 PM.

  8. dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 112 221
    D
    dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 112

    User Info Menu


    Jun 2019
    Croatia
    221
    112
    100
    Read 0 Reviews
    #8
    I didn't put any glue on H3 Neo rubber that already has factory glue layer on it. Just on the blade.
    Is the second layer of glue needed?

  9. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,623 3,887
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,887 2,623

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,887
    2,623
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #9
    The "glue layer" on the rubber is not glue, but booster.
    You still need to add glue to those rubbers.

    Depending what type of glue you use, you may need 1 to 2 layers min.
    I think 2 is a good guideline and with 1 layer on the blade.

    The Following User Likes Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl

    TTT

  10. lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Elite TTD Member 431 1,139
    L
    lodro is offline
    says TT-CLOWN, old git
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,139 431

    User Info Menu

    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    The "glue layer" on the rubber is not glue, but booster.
    You still need to add glue to those rubbers.

    Depending what type of glue you use, you may need 1 to 2 layers min.
    I think 2 is a good guideline and with 1 layer on the blade.

    Booster does not form a layer on the sponge. As it dries out it completely disappears.
    The glue -layers crudely applied over the boosted sponges is likely there to avoid the
    booster effect to wear off while the rubbers are on the shelves in shops, the vacuum packaging is there for the same reason.
    Otherwise i agree with you : 1 layer on the blade and 2 on the rubber

    The Following User Likes lodro's Post:

    JediJesseS


  11. dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 112 221
    D
    dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 112

    User Info Menu


    Jun 2019
    Croatia
    221
    112
    100
    Read 0 Reviews
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    The "glue layer" on the rubber is not glue, but booster.
    You still need to add glue to those rubbers.

    Depending what type of glue you use, you may need 1 to 2 layers min.
    I think 2 is a good guideline and with 1 layer on the blade.
    That layer is sticky as any glue, it can't be booster, oils are not sticky, right? It is some sort of glue.
    ​​​​​​

    The Following User Likes dajdosta's Post:

    JediJesseS


  12. JediJesseS is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 87 74
    J
    JediJesseS is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 74 87

    User Info Menu


    Mar 2016
    United States
    74
    87
    284
    Read 0 Reviews
    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis
    The "glue layer" on the rubber is not glue, but booster.
    You still need to add glue to those rubbers.
    That is a glue layer, not booster.

  13. Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 313 725
    Lazer's Avatar
    Lazer is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 725 313

    User Info Menu

    #13
    If there is something I hate is a thick layer of glue. One layer on each and door a good thin bond don’t wait for it to dry.

    Cheers
    L-zr
    Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)

  14. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,623 3,887
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,887 2,623

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,887
    2,623
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by lodro

    Booster does not form a layer on the sponge. As it dries out it completely disappears.
    The glue -layers crudely applied over the boosted sponges is likely there to avoid the
    booster effect to wear off while the rubbers are on the shelves in shops, the vacuum packaging is there for the same reason.
    Otherwise i agree with you : 1 layer on the blade and 2 on the rubber

    Trust me, that is booster (or booster + glue) that you see on there.
    That layer is not strong enough to be used as glue and too weak of a layer of booster for any one serious to use (most just remove it and add they own layers)

    Manufactures don't have time to add boosters then add glue (while waiting for both to dry on the production line)
    they add one layer on and that is booster (with some glue mixed to it)
    For those that don't know, you also get commercial booster/glue available - of which you need to use like 2 to 4 layers minimum (if you not going to use glue)

    I had clients that thought it was glue, so only glued the blade. And he asks me why the rubber doesn't stick.
    Even the manufacture that add those "sticky" layer on, they still tell you to glue the rubber too.

    The only people that has proper glue is Xiom with its - iswitch

    Last edited by Tony's Table Tennis; 05-23-2022 at 06:16 AM.
    TTT

  15. Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Master TTD Member 720 1,672
    Kuba Hajto's Avatar
    Kuba Hajto is offline
    says Equipment matters a lot to scrubs who can't make minor adjustments to their stroke.
     
    Master TTD Member 1,672 720
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis

    Trust me, that is booster (or booster + glue) that you see on there.
    That layer is not strong enough to be used as glue and too weak of a layer of booster for any one serious to use (most just remove it and add they own layers)

    Manufactures don't have time to add boosters then add glue (while waiting for both to dry on the production line)
    they add one layer on and that is booster (with some glue mixed to it)
    For those that don't know, you also get commercial booster/glue available - of which you need to use like 2 to 4 layers minimum (if you not going to use glue)

    I had clients that thought it was glue, so only glued the blade. And he asks me why the rubber doesn't stick.
    Even the manufacture that add those "sticky" layer on, they still tell you to glue the rubber too.

    The only people that has proper glue is Xiom with its - iswitch

    welp. I have opposite experience. Yinhe booster-glue torn my limba on Donic Appelgren. That particular example I would not call exactly weak.

    /devnull

  16. dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 112 221
    D
    dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 112

    User Info Menu


    Jun 2019
    Croatia
    221
    112
    100
    Read 0 Reviews
    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony's Table Tennis

    Trust me, that is booster (or booster + glue) that you see on there.
    That layer is not strong enough to be used as glue and too weak of a layer of booster for any one serious to use (most just remove it and add they own layers)

    Manufactures don't have time to add boosters then add glue (while waiting for both to dry on the production line)
    they add one layer on and that is booster (with some glue mixed to it)
    For those that don't know, you also get commercial booster/glue available - of which you need to use like 2 to 4 layers minimum (if you not going to use glue)

    I had clients that thought it was glue, so only glued the blade. And he asks me why the rubber doesn't stick.
    Even the manufacture that add those "sticky" layer on, they still tell you to glue the rubber too.

    The only people that has proper glue is Xiom with its - iswitch

    I did exactly that and haven't had any issues. H3 Neo 37 fresh out of the package without any glue added on the rubber, only 1 glue layer on the blade.
    It's been 6 months since and min 100 hours of play and no issues at all.

  17. brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 506 1,128
    B
    brokenball is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,128 506

    User Info Menu

    #17
    When I put together a paddle for someone else that I know will not change the rubbers, I put two coats on the blade and on the rubber. I wait for the rubber cement to dry thoroughly before applying the second coat. I then wait for the rubber cement to dry thoroughly again before applying the rubber to the blade and cutting it. The rubber is firmly stuck on the blade. The rubber cement must be dry before attaching the the blade so the rubber shrinks before cutting and not after.

    Since I change rubbers a lot, or use to, I only put rubber cement on the blade if the rubber sponge already has a layer or two of rubber cement on it.

    I try to put extra rubber cement where on the FH side that will make contact with the table while pushing. I try to keep the FH rubber from peeling off.

  18. dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 112 221
    D
    dajdosta is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 221 112

    User Info Menu


    Jun 2019
    Croatia
    221
    112
    100
    Read 0 Reviews
    #18
    Hurricane 3 Neo: The Neo sponges are DHS' answer to the ban of the speed glue and the plastic ball. The topsheet should be the same as for the classic H3 and is just as tacky. The rubbers come boosted/tuned and with a layer of glue already applied from the factory. You only need to apply glue on the blade side, no additional glue is needed on the sponge.

    Source: DHS Hurricane 3 Ultimate Thread from other forum

  19. aliastheaka is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 3 24
    A
    aliastheaka is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 24 3
    #19
    And also there is some booster as Seamoon for example that affer dried leaves a thin layer that looks a little bit like glue and that is in fact latex.

  20. Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 2,623 3,887
    T
    Tony's Table Tennis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Master TTD Member 3,887 2,623

    User Info Menu


    Sep 2013
    South Africa
    3,887
    2,623
    8938
    Read 3 Reviews
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by dajdosta
    Hurricane 3 Neo: The Neo sponges are DHS' answer to the ban of the speed glue and the plastic ball. The topsheet should be the same as for the classic H3 and is just as tacky. The rubbers come boosted/tuned and with a layer of glue already applied from the factory. You only need to apply glue on the blade side, no additional glue is needed on the sponge.

    Source: DHS Hurricane 3 Ultimate Thread from other forum
    I can tell you, that Ultimate thread is not any where close to being ultimate
    TTT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.