Best footwear for a beginner.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022

I'll be honest, this is a bit of an odd thread now, and I'm not really sure if you want advice/help or not?

It doesn't take a huge amount of "Googling" to find something that will fit the bill.

This took me all of 10 seconds to find a sub £30 pair of appropriate shoes in a UK5 - https://www.directbadminton.co.uk/adidas-ligra-7-junior-court-shoes-core-blackwhitecore-black-13836?ds1=&ds2=14450316171&ds3=130137966121&ds4=&ds5=c&ds6=&ds7=&ds8=&gclid=CjwKCAjw6fyXBhBgEiwAhhiZslSuMfHk8xbwy5RbxGj8UZv3ymqR2gpt6ZpRSstdJNQ_v4AwREsD7BoCBwgQAvD_BwE

As for the barefoot thing.... Would I do it? No. Have I seen others do it? No.

I don't think anyone would necessarily *say* anything if you played a UK League match, but it probably wouldn't be celebrated either.

Generally, players starting out don't tend to sweat too much - The movements/shots they know are less "explosive" and you aren't moving as much as someone who is experienced.

If you did sweat, you'd find that your feet would likely get slippy, but you'd also leave sweat marks on the floor - At that point, I'd expect someone to say something to you.

Ultimately, whilst Table Tennis can be an expensive sport at the higher end, you can get the whole kit for less than £100 (shoes, bat, clothes, balls).

That £100 would probably last you 2-3 years depending on how much you played.

My feeling is that if you want to take it semi seriously (as in, you enjoy it and want to enjoy it as much as you can), then the £100 would be the minimum expected outlay (you may even be able to do it for £70-80 depending on the bat, and what clothes you need to buy).

Thanks, I did post that I have now got a few ideas of what I need if I continue to play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Hi, size 5

Cool thanks, so same size as me, but as you're "probably" a women I guess your foot is way thinner than mine, so the Nike Hyperspeed Court would be ok for you.

If you want to get them from me (and again only shipping costs to pay), just PM me when you'll be ok. I think I can keep them 'til end of September ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
Thanks alot but as my previous post said I got a few ideas on what to get.
all the best

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If you are serious in table tennis technique and movement, the movement will cause a lot of vibration to your heals/foot.
Playing barefooted would lead to injury.

This is why in professional scenery, you get flooring/mats that help soften the contact of your feet and the ground.
Also, breaking a shoe inside a month or two (flatten the sole of the shoe) is not unusual, So I can't imagine how elite players feet will end up like if there had no shoes on.

Of course if you aren't playing any where as close to elite level, the vibration/movement won't be there, but TT shoes are built in a way to protect your ankle, and also provide grip to the floor.
Too much grip is almost not good (ie using a pair of indoor basketball shoes hurt my ankles once).

Never the less, be careful and have fun!

Reactions: Debbie
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2022
Another suggestion: work more hours if you can or get another part time job for a week, it should get you plenty of money to get a good pair.

Another option: cut your expenses until you save enough to get a pair. For example, food. If you are currently spending $5 per day on food, cut that down to $2 per day on food. After a month you will have saved $84, enough to get a great pair of shoes. If you can't cut on food, cut on something else, like cutting all non essential purchases.

I am also surprised that this UK facility allows people to play with no shoes. First of all, it is a major health hazard to the person not wearing shoes, and in the worst case can result in a foot injury and a much more expensive trip to the medical cabinet or the doctors. Spend the $30-$70 on a pair, protect your feet, and allow yourself to enjoy table tennis to its full potential. Even if you only play a bit and give up on TT, you can sell your shoes to someone else.

Another thing to be aware of: when you get to an intermediate level, you will start to need to replace your rubber at least once a year. A cheap $20 rubber x2 means at least $40 per year, or $400 over 10 years (lets assume you completely wear out your shoes, you treat them well, and you are fairly lightweight). This is the MINIMUM you will be spending on rubber, many advanced players change every 3 months or less and use ~$40 rubbers. The cost of shoes is a drop in the bucket compared to rubber costs.

Last edited: