Who has the best serve?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
The best service depends on your opponent.
It is when your opponent doesn't know the type/amount of spin, placement and speed.
Best way to do this is by using the exact same movement everytime.
Take a look at Zhang Jike. He uses the same movement everytime when he serves, but there are so many variations he can make with it, even Xu Xin had problems with it in the final last weekend.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Me too, I find reverse are tricky for a right hander. I serve with a more subdued version of tomahawk action to the opponents FH. :)

With reverse serving it is harder for the opponent to see the difference between more side-backspin/more side-topspin. Also the 'behind the body' serves are pretty good, not because they are behind the body, but also because the difference in back/topspin is hard to see.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Trick question: If you serve with backspin against a little kid, so short that he can't reach it and it bounces back over the net towards u (legal serve). Is that an ace? xD

Yes it is an ace, as long as he aint able to touch it. Per definition: ACE (in tennis, badminton, handball, etc.)
a.
Also called service ace. a placement made on a service.
b.
any placement.
c.
a serve that the opponent fails to touch.
d.
the point thus scored.

:)

Reactions: WiWa
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Ace is ace and it's the best serve :) :D ofc there are million ways to do a ace but there are also million ways to make a usual backspin service ;)

Best serves are in my eyes from Ma Lin, even his teammates struggles with them though they know him perfectly.

Agree, Ma Lin has the absolute best serves these days! Kind of the new Jan Ove Waldner or Liu Guoliang, only that Ma Lin played when the both of them was still active :p

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What the heck was that!! She was standing square to the table, and the ball when off at the side of the table. Amazing swerve. The tomahawk!!

That was a backhand tomahawk. That is the backhand side of the blade she is contacting with. That is also why she got such a good angle.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What I notice is, since the serve has so much to do with how you contact the ball and the acceleration of your wrist after the ball sinks into the topsheet, that, just working on one serve makes all my other serves improve. In match play, my opinion is that a serve that sets you up well to attack and control the point is what seems most effective. Those serves that win you a point outright are nice every so often for the intimidation factor, but if you rely on something like that you get in trouble because a player who is good enough is going to be able to return all of your serves. So being ready for what comes back and able to attack it in a way that either wins the point or puts you in control, in the long run is the most effective serve. What serve is that? That would depend on your style of play, whether you attack better on opening with your backhand or your forehand; and it would also depend on what your opponent's strengths and weaknesses are.

I find, most often that, mixing the spin, top, side, under, dead ball, and varying placement works against a lot of players. It is interesting how effective a good dead ball serve can be, especially after serves that have heavy spin. Sometimes if you give short topspin after heavy underspin, the player will adjust to the topspin but not enough and you get an easy point. Same can be said in reverse.

The main thing with the serve though, is being prepared for what can potentially come back. If you set yourself up well and dominate the points, over the course of the match that is more important than getting a couple of easy points off of a tricky serve that the opponent eventually gets used to.