This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Timo Boll vs Ma Lin....Amazing match!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Hmmm, well the outcome was not what I expected, since I thought Wang Hao would win, at least I predicted that if ZJK did face Boll in the finals, he would win. Probably almost everyone else in this thread would have thought Boll would win.

It must be kind of depressing for Boll, to lose two consecutive tournaments both to two different young Chinese, and by basically the same horribly lopsided score.... The last three games, weren't even close.... even his match against Xu Xin was slightly closer than this one.
If I was Boll, I would be pretty disappointed.... Ma Lin is finally getting old enough that he doesn't lose to Ma Lin like he did during the beginning of the decade, but now a new set of players have emerged that all have the potential to absolutely crush him in games. At least Boll proved that he can beat ZJK, though that game went to 7 games. Boll has yet to prove he can beat Xu Xin. And as time passes, Boll will only get older, while the next generation of Chinese players are only beginning to reach their prime.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
the outcome is not unexpectable to me either, i expected wang hao to win too, since ZJK didn't do tat well in the last few tournaments

the problem with timo is tat, he's juz consistent, i would say alright forehand n backhand, but very consistent, which is very important... he did play very well against ma lin, whom i always think it's a joy to watch, it's amazing how ma lin can still play with tat forehand-only style with his age.

the solution for timo is
1) to get an even stronger FH BH, so he doesn't have the lowhand when doing rallies with the chinese players, but it's hard to develop at such age
2) to train/ get a better mind like ma lin's, have to be smart enoguh to ensure the chance to loop first.

ZJK has got one of the most powerful FH BH, but wt he needs is consistency + mental strength
XX has mental strength, n his back hand is improving, but his technique is still not as complete as ZJK or ML
ML has the fastest reflex, very all rounded FH BH, could still improve some strengths

but probably only ML and WH would be in the singles , n ZJK mgiht be the third person in olympic chinese TEAM, since ZJK has the highest double winning rate too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
In my opinion the chinese players aren't very consistant this year ;) At first Xu Xin won Slovenia and Qatar Open but lost a week later against Ma Long at the U.A.E Open. He just won 4-0 against Ma Long at Qatar. Ma Lin got 2times into the final but never won a final ... at the German Open he was a little bit slower than usual
Zhang Jike lost to Timo 4-2 at Qatar Open but demolished Boll at the German Open 4-0
So all in all very many ups and downs ;) It's not like in 2010 when Ma Long won 90% of the matches ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
In my opinion the chinese players aren't very consistant this year ;) At first Xu Xin won Slovenia and Qatar Open but lost a week later against Ma Long at the U.A.E Open. He just won 4-0 against Ma Long at Qatar. Ma Lin got 2times into the final but never won a final ... at the German Open he was a little bit slower than usual
Zhang Jike lost to Timo 4-2 at Qatar Open but demolished Boll at the German Open 4-0
So all in all very many ups and downs ;) It's not like in 2010 when Ma Long won 90% of the matches ;)

Yeah, that was what I was talking about in the Boll is number 1 ranking thread. The skill levels of all the Chinese players are now so high, that on any given day, they can beat each other. It just depends on who is lucky, who is feeling better on which day. It makes it hard for any of the Chinese players to really separate themselves from the pack in terms of rankings, unlike when Wang Liqin and Ma Lin were at their prime, and they reached the finals of like every tournament, with WLQ winning usually in the finals.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Yeah, that was what I was talking about in the Boll is number 1 ranking thread. The skill levels of all the Chinese players are now so high, that on any given day, they can beat each other. It just depends on who is lucky, who is feeling better on which day. It makes it hard for any of the Chinese players to really separate themselves from the pack in terms of rankings, unlike when Wang Liqin and Ma Lin were at their prime, and they reached the finals of like every tournament, with WLQ winning usually in the finals.

I totally agree with both of you here! Its so true they are soo good now that the rankings will alter all the time and different competitions will be won by different Chinese players... but Scylla one point i cant get around the theory is that, how is Boll number 1,,, the ranking system doesn't know if Boll is European or Chinese, the system goes on results and Boll must be doing something right, he is up against the same Chinese players as any other player is... I.e Ma Lin vs Zhang Jike.. or next tournament Ma Lin vs Wang Hao... or Boll vs Chen Qi... they are all up against each other..

says anyone tel me where can i buy the return board here in...
says anyone tel me where can i buy the return board here in...
Nov 2010
timo will win...coz home court advantage and crowd support will help timo...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
I want to see the match between Chen Qi and Ma Lin! Where is it. D:

Last year, Chen Qi played Timo and won 4-3 at German Open, no footage.
This year, he lost 3-4 to Ma Lin, no footage again. Boo! I wanted Chen Qi to have a shot at Timo. XD

Hey, mate, both matches were worth watching but not that awesome, I've seen several matches which were better this year.
The best/most exciting match was certainly Boll-Ma Lin.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
and after david's comment that ma long isn't participating, ma long still has gotten some votes, and remains one of the top vote getters? haha

Hey TinaJane

I forgot to remove Ma long haha! opps.

By the way, welcome to the forum :)