Discussion for Adam Bobrow's WTTTC Commentary

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Dear all,

just thought if I could open a post to discuss (for us and for ittf) Adam's performance! (I believe adam bobrow is the new tt fan commentator's name?).
In general, I wish there is clear platform / session on ittf where fans can provide suggestions.

(1) i wanna praise ittf for doing this. I am glad that ittf hears that commentary (and media like its website) is a weak spot, and the attempt to do something different itself is really encouraging for a tt fan like me (they did try the badmintin commentator (previous uk badminton player i believe) etc. good job)

(2) I think adam did a really great job, especially for the first time in such a big event. It is of course very hard to earn the credibility coaches and former player has, but I think he can do it. much more than empty commentary he gave us. I don't have specific points to improve ( i haven't heard of him enough), just wanted to give a general positive review.

also I think adam's existence (new passionate commentator) will itself benefit the system, since before, it was like there was a demand in commentators. there were no competitors, and people don't really needa improve (like the infamous general sports commentator hired by ittf...)

In general, the way I theorize/look at commentatory, if we look at commentary on different layers, there could be, say, three layers, (1) single point (technical points, types of services, receives, position/placement of balls, choices of strokes' spin / strength, point of contact/hitting***, arm position, footwork, distance from table, mental/psychological state AND most important, the change/DYNAMICS of above mentioned points), (2) game/match dynamics (key game, emotional state, stress, pressure added if it's team key games, key points), (3) even more macroscopic dynamics (background story, huge expectation, what has the player been doing, how is he doing in national team, lifetime game etc.)

*** though I hear commentators saying hitting off the bounce, but I don't really hear the commentators realizing the dynamics/changes of the hitting point, say for ZJK and wang hao, in the final game/later games, they usually step back from the table, hitting the ball in later time and allow more time to loop and change the pace, the amount of spins players DELIBERATELY put into the ball, wwhich is subtle.

the change of spin and speed affects how fast the ball comes to the opponent, the time interval the players have between two hits, and since footwork and etc always take certain time, it is exceptional important,

BUT the commentators usually didn't realize that, they only said he is making lots of ERRORS in this game, without realizing it's because say ZJK changed the pace and affecting the time of contact / rhythm of footwork, causing errors, those errors are really forced.

I digressed.

anyways, I really hope adam has the chance to stay. great job!!!

Reactions: MDanielCRO
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
He is doing a great great job and this is surely going to give the popularity of the ittv a boost, infact I saw some positive influence in the other commentators as well. A lot of improvisation , fun and serious analysis is going on simultaneously and it is really fun to enjoy. Case in point today's game between Li Jie and the defender from Japan , it immediately went into a expedite mode. However, the commentary was funny and it ensured people stayed on. However, they need to radically improve the ittf portal and the ittv quality to ensure they take the presentation to the next level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
He is doing a great great job and this is surely going to give the popularity of the ittv a boost, infact I saw some positive influence in the other commentators as well. A lot of improvisation , fun and serious analysis is going on simultaneously and it is really fun to enjoy. Case in point today's game between Li Jie and the defender from Japan , it immediately went into a expedite mode. However, the commentary was funny and it ensured people stayed on. However, they need to radically improve the ittf portal and the ittv quality to ensure they take the presentation to the next level.

definitely.There got low quality streaming only.There website also is a bit sloppy.You dont expect it to be so poor

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
just wanna push this thread to make sure ittf sees this. i hope adam can commentate again in the future.

it was great that he had the chance to commentate the women final

This user has no status.
I think he is much better than Don, but he talks way too much. It's just like he can't keep quiet just for a single minute. They were three people commentating the finals today and had more silence between them! And he has a lot of American references that the global crowd will miss, like when he referred to Ted Danson(!).