Rasanter R53 for FH or BH?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
R53 is a totally different animal compared to 47 of same/similar.

Sponge hardness matters.

For a number of years, including where I nearly cracked past 2100 USATT... SOFT modern dynamic rubbers were what suited my kind of impact and looping on FH...

I could also use about anything on BH, but after a lot of testing, I simply landed a couple more balls on table out of a hundred, so I kept soft on BH...

... as my FH impact got better, I moved to medium and then medium/firm sponged Euro rubber.
A player can and will assess what works and accept reject... it is a process and also a player's impact can improve.

I wouldn't recommend 53 degree sponge for a player's BH unless they were a full time monster pounder on that wing, which pretty much is the pro and elite amateur level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
R53 is a totally different animal compared to 47 of same/similar.

Sponge hardness matters.

For a number of years, including where I nearly cracked past 2100 USATT... SOFT modern dynamic rubbers were what suited my kind of impact and looping on FH...

I could also use about anything on BH, but after a lot of testing, I simply landed a couple more balls on table out of a hundred, so I kept soft on BH...

... as my FH impact got better, I moved to medium and then medium/firm sponged Euro rubber.
A player can and will assess what works and accept reject... it is a process and also a player's impact can improve.

I wouldn't recommend 53 degree sponge for a player's BH unless they were a full time monster pounder on that wing, which pretty much is the pro and elite amateur level.
I think you might be right. I'll play around with it a couple more weeks, maybe test it with booster, and if it still doesn't work, I'll try it on FH again.

BTW, it's not like I can't hit any shot or any loop. It's just like there are shots here and there that I expected to make, but I missed with the R53.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I don’t know how much clearer you want your anwser to be. But I will try;

Hybrid rubbers have a tacky topsheet. Tacky topsheet = more grip & less bounce = more time on contact = more absorbtion of spin = less spin sensitive = having to think less about you bat angle = bigger margin for error = more forgiving = more control of the ball = less mistakes.
I'm just thinking back to my old rubbers, and I used the Moon 12 H- rubber very successfully. Moon 12 feels harder than R53, and it has a completely untacky topsheet. But Moon 12 worked really well for me and R53 didn't work too well for me. Moon 12 had a really high/long bounce, if I missed it would typically be over the table. With R53, when I miss, it is always into the net, like the rubber is failing to grab the ball.

I don't think its simply an issue of hybrid or not, I think there is still something specific to R53 that just isn't working for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I changed the R53 to a different blade today and tried it out and it was quite a bit better. Felt more stable. Also was a bit more cognizant to hit full clean strokes to grab the ball. R53 is quite capable of hitting very good shots, but it is somewhat demanding. I should try it with seamoon as well and it might be even better than today.

Last edited: