The Greatest Chinese Player of All-Time

Who is the best Chinese player of all time

• Zhang Jike (2x World Champion, 2x Winner of the World Cup, Olympics Champion in 2012)

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Ma Long (Winner of the World Cup, Champion of the China National Games)

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Xu Xin (Winner of the World Cup)

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Wang Hao (World Champion, Winner of the World Cup)

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Fan Zhendong (Chinese National Championship 2014 Winner, World Junior Champion)

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Ma Lin

• Wang Liqin

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Chen Qi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kong Linghui

• Other (post below)

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Where is Liu Guoliang on your voting list? He is the 3rd Grand slam winner out of 4.

I agree Liu Guoliang should be listed. Actually, he is the second Grand Slam Winner. He completed it in wttc 1999 while Kong Linghui finished his Grand Slam in Olympics 2000. \(^o^)/~

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
I don't think there's is place for Fan Zhendong in this poll, too young to be named "best Chinese player of all time".
Of course he is top class player, but he is still hungry for the great victories, so little bit early for him to participate in poll like that.
IMO of course.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
There is really NO single best. I have 3 on my list and I won't rank them: Zhuang Zedong, Guo Yuehua, and Wang Liqin.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
How could you list people who have not even won a WTTC singles title or an Olympic gold and not list a few players who have won titles like that? How about Jiang Jialiang? He beat Waldner in the finals of the WTTC in 1987. Since Liu Gouliang was already mentioned I don't need to mention him. As a Grand Slam winner, he is an obvious choice.

And sorry but Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, and Chen Chi should not be on a list of greatest Chinese player ever. Not yet. That is for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
I don't think there's is place for Fan Zhendong in this poll, too young to be named "best Chinese player of all time".
Of course he is top class player, but he is still hungry for the great victories, so little bit early for him to participate in poll like that.
IMO of course.

Well if he keeps performing like this he will be a 5 time wttc winner.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
"And sorry but Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, and Chen Chi should not be on a list of greatest Chinese player ever. Not yet. That is for sure".

In the case, of Malong, it might not be a case of 'not yet' but more like never. What has he won (ultimately, THE measure in sport) to be among those players?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2014
Read 9 reviews
How could you list people who have not even won a WTTC singles title or an Olympic gold and not list a few players who have won titles like that? How about Jiang Jialiang? He beat Waldner in the finals of the WTTC in 1987. Since Liu Gouliang was already mentioned I don't need to mention him. As a Grand Slam winner, he is an obvious choice.

And sorry but Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, and Chen Chi should not be on a list of greatest Chinese player ever. Not yet. That is for sure.

I agree, I was also wondering where Jiang Jialiang were

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well if he keeps performing like this he will be a 5 time wttc winner.

He might be. But you can't crown someone best ever based on what they MIGHT do. :) I love the way FZD plays. But he is 17, soon to be 18 and he has not won any of the majors yet. There may be a point where he is winning any tournament he enters, where he has WTTCs and Olympic golds under his belt. But that time has not yet come.

Like Michael Maze, he had sooooooo much talent. He may have been on his way to being the best European player of this age. And what happened? He got injured and has never fully come back. With so much talent and such a bright future back in 2005, he never even became the best European player. They have to do the work and win the titles to be the best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
<br /> How could you list people who have not even won a WTTC singles title or an Olympic gold and not list a few players who have won titles like that? How about Jiang Jialiang? He beat Waldner in the finals of the WTTC in 1987. Since Liu Gouliang was already mentioned I don't need to mention him. As a Grand Slam winner, he is an obvious choice. <br />
<br />
And sorry but Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, and Chen Chi should not be on a list of greatest Chinese player ever. Not yet. That is for sure.<br/>

This topic haven't been created for find out which player who achieved best titles. It created for everyone voting the best chinese player in their opinion. So you don't have the privileges to ban me voting for Ma Long, Xu Xin or Fan Zhendong. Do you known Hungary football team 1954 had been voted by experts the best football team of all time althought it hadn't won any EURO or WORLD CUP?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 12 reviews
<br /> How could you list people who have not even won a WTTC singles title or an Olympic gold and not list a few players who have won titles like that? How about Jiang Jialiang? He beat Waldner in the finals of the WTTC in 1987. Since Liu Gouliang was already mentioned I don't need to mention him. As a Grand Slam winner, he is an obvious choice. <br />
<br />
And sorry but Ma Long, Xu Xin, Fan Zhendong, and Chen Chi should not be on a list of greatest Chinese player ever. Not yet. That is for sure.<br/>

This topic haven't been created for find out which player who achieved best titles. It created for everyone voting the best chinese player in their opinion. So you don't have the privileges to ban me voting for Ma Long, Xu Xin or Fan Zhendong. Do you known Hungary football team 1954 had been voted by experts the best football team of all time althought it hadn't won any EURO or WORLD CUP?

You do not understand the context of this thread.

Reactions: jedimasterplk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
You must consider that nowadays players are much better then before. Pingong is getting more and more advanced so I would not cancel ma long, because when he is on top nabody Can beat Him. For instance waldner is often taken as best player ever, but he did not win as much as expected in his long carier.
from the list I would take wang liqin

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You must consider that nowadays players are much better then before. Pingong is getting more and more advanced so I would not cancel ma long, because when he is on top nabody Can beat Him. For instance waldner is often taken as best player ever, but he did not win as much as expected in his long carier.
from the list I would take wang liqin

Interesting that in the last 3 WTTC--not 1, not 2, but 3--he has not reached the finals. How can he be considered among the greatest in Chinese History when he has not produced on the big stage. He can win all the little tournaments you would like. But the greatest in Chinese history can't be someone without the big wins. In the most recent World Cup, until the finals Ma Long looked unbeatable and ZJK looked mediocre at best. In the finals, it was close. But Ma Long did not win.

One day we may be able to consider him among the best ever. But NOT SO FAR.

And fat, old, out of shape JO Waldner, with a bad back and no training, has had a few matches with Ma Long where he made Ma Long look very beatable even though it was obvious that Waldner really could not move well or use his body to make the power shots.

Let's see if Ma Long gets a World or Olympic title. I hope he does. But I have no faith in his abilities at that stage. In truth Ma Long's short game had improved a lot in the last year which is what held him back in a lot of those big matches. He has worked hard on that and I give him credit for that. So we will see if he has upped his game enough to get some bigger titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Interesting that in the last 3 WTTC--not 1, not 2, but 3--he has not reached the finals. How can he be considered among the greatest in Chinese History when he has not produced on the big stage. He can win all the little tournaments you would like. But the greatest in Chinese history can't be someone without the big wins. In the most recent World Cup, until the finals Ma Long looked unbeatable and ZJK looked mediocre at best. In the finals, it was close. But Ma Long did not win.

One day we may be able to consider him among the best ever. But NOT SO FAR.

And fat, old, out of shape JO Waldner, with a bad back and no training, has had a few matches with Ma Long where he made Ma Long look very beatable even though it was obvious that Waldner really could not move well or use his body to make the power shots.

Let's see if Ma Long gets a World or Olympic title. I hope he does. But I have no faith in his abilities at that stage. In truth Ma Long's short game had improved a lot in the last year which is what held him back in a lot of those big matches. He has worked hard on that and I give him credit for that. So we will see if he has upped his game enough to get some bigger titles.
Good point Carl. But I was just thinking who is really unbeatable. I do not know the stats but I think Ma Long since he lost to Koki Niwa (I think it was 4 years ago) hasn't lost to nonchinese player. Look at his games in tournaments, usualy he the score is 4:0 to Ma Long, then he meets ZJK in final, who barely get there loosing many games, sometimes even in early rounds wining 4:3, and Ma Long looses. I am not a big fan of both players but overall ma long is much more confident then ZJK FZD and XX. So in team championships he should be most relyable player. Definitely not ZJK who is hard to predict, and he lost to Dima.
And the other point is that nowadays almost every sport is improving, look at the old players from 50's
Even if one of them got 10 titles in a row I wouldn't say they are best ever.
Anyway young Waldner could make difference today. European players try to copy chinese style and play hard and fast. Variation of shots and speed and spin could make a difference. That is what Waldner was doing.