11-0 Good or Bad?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
The only time I would not play seriously at a game point is on a match point with a crowd I might do that exhibition type thing haha.

I have lost games 11-0 and won the match. It's ridiculous to give a point. It doesn't help their game, and it doesn't make them feel very good that the other player gave them a point! If you want to win by phycology, win by making them feel bad at losing 11-0 rather than losing even though they were given free points on purpose

Totally agree.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
It has been my standard that It is customary to give 1 point on a set 11-1 as a sign of respect to my opponent during tournaments. Gìving 1 set is a diffrent story -its a no no.

And if the game i played is something personal and with war issues i still give 1 point by catching(left hand) my opponents serve and beg the umpire to please donate 1 point.. if im the one serving oh hell damn amagonna give that one last serve a bad ass spin he can never return properly

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
"dont have to be better than someone to beat them 11-0"
Maybe. But that almost never happens. And when I say youre better, i mean better on the day itself.
For someone to lose 11-0 it means:
1) They're straight up worse than you and can't do anything to your game.
2)They're having a bad day. Most likely illness/anxiety. From what i've experienced, that level of anxiety wont go away even with winning matches, let alone 3-5 points.
3) They cant be arsed to play. Ever seen a guy on a rush to finish a match to go on a date? Yea thats what i'm talking about.

As I said above, I can tell you that I lost a game 11-0 and won the match. I have also won a game 11-0 and then lost the next one 11-2 or so. You just go to your spot after the game and come back strong. Giving 3-5 points easily allows for a comeback.10-5 really isn't that bad a score. I bet many players on this forum have come back from 10-3 10-4 or 10-5. It can just be an off-game not an off-match

This user has no status.
I think courtesy is made from in-play situations, like apologizing when winning a point just by lucky edge or when the ball hits the net, and the fair play when a point is given incorrectly. The score itself should not affect the sportmanship at all, so if I lose 11-0 that's just because there is a big difference in levels, nothing more!

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2014
I would finish the opponent unless it is not a competition match. I will also accept 11-0 defeat from upper levels players.

This user has no status.
I will give the point to my opponent I think is a case of respect..

I disagree! It's almost like saying "you can't even win one point on your own, so I give it to you" and to me that is mostly disrespectful.
Of course if you're just playing around with friends that don't even play table tennis then you should play at a lower level so they win some points and maybe get motivated with the sport :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
I disagree! It's almost like saying "you can't even win one point on your own, so I give it to you" and to me that is mostly disrespectful.
Of course if you're just playing around with friends that don't even play table tennis then you should play at a lower level so they win some points and maybe get motivated with the sport :)

I agree with this, much more disrespectful to give away a point with purpose. If I want to give a way a point I at least try to make it look like I want to win the point

This user has no status.
I once did 11-0 in a final. Had lost the 1st set and won the 2nd. 3rd set I went up 10-0 and decided while serving, that I would go for the 11-0, know I would have the upper hand in the 4th. I won the 4th set and the match :)

Since then I have never won 11-0. Been up 10-0 a few times, but I have made a service error on purpose to give the opponent a point. I still feel I have the upper hand with a 11-1 with the one error made on purpose.

If I would lose 11-0 I would only blame my self for not doing better. Unless I got really outplayed at all 11 points :/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I lost 11:0 on purpose .. and brought me a win..
I played once a player much better than me and I had to think of something to beat him. I hardly won one game very closely, like 18:16 or so..
Then the next game I went down 4:0 and whatever I did I couldnt score a point. Then I got an idea that maybe if I lose 11:0, he will underestimate me in next games and that would be my chance to win. So I did lose 11:0 and then won the match, it worked! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Read 14 reviews
I lost 11:0 on purpose .. and brought me a win..
I played once a player much better than me and I had to think of something to beat him. I hardly won one game very closely, like 18:16 or so..
Then the next game I went down 4:0 and whatever I did I couldnt score a point. Then I got an idea that maybe if I lose 11:0, he will underestimate me in next games and that would be my chance to win. So I did lose 11:0 and then won the match, it worked! :)

Haha sounds like a weird strategy, glad it worked!