11-0 Good or Bad?

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
I once lost 21-0. I was 12 years old, and the guy I played against was like 16. That asshole was out for blood, and doing it for the lolz. The embarrassment I felt was indescribable.

To answer the question, I was up 10-0 a few times on tournaments, and always gave a point away. I see no purpose in humiliating my opponent, unless the guy did something to irritate me before that (but unfortunately, I was never actually in that position).

A the team match last saturday, a friend was leading 10-0 in the 4th set, the other guys was leading 2 sets to 1 btw. At 10-0 he gave away a serve, he won 11-5. He lost 11-9 in that final 5th set. I am sure that if he won 11-0, he would have won this match, but he started the final set after losing 5 of the 6 last points played instead of starting it by winning the 11 last points.........not good for confidence.
Our team won 13-1 and we were leading already 7-0 at that point, but the same thing when the match ends at 7-7 would have made us rage alot. In France (appart from the two professional leagues : Pro A and Pro B), we are teams of 4, each one of us plays 3 singles and a double, 14 matchs in total.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I will only give a point at 10-0 in tournaments if the opponent is much weaker than me. As you guys said, if I give up a point at 10-0, the opponent can win a few next points and gain confidence and momentum for the next sets. Plus it's not guaranteed he will lose that set. I saw a match when a high level guy (about 2400 US rating) lost a game 2-3 after he led 2-0 (big score) and 10-1 in the 3rd set.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Really odd this came up after the weekend. I was playing at NJL and was umpiring this game were my teammate at 10-0 up deliberately hit the serve wide and obviously he got a point. However the kid thought his serve must have been wrong otherwise why hit it wide? We had to explain that he was trying to be nice. I later played someone won 11-2 11-8 and at 10-0 up on my serve was always going to give them a point, yes I made it obvious but I didn't want to risk him not getting it back. Admittedly he won 3 more points before I finished it but I didn't really mind since they were some good shots. I always think you should therefore give a point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Doesn't matter if its a tournament or a friendly match I would never beat somebody 11:0. If the player is much weaker than me it goes 11:7, 11:8. If it is on my level or better I give him the ninth or tenth point, but trying not to show that I am giving it. I've lost once such game, but I really don't care. I have lost four or five time 0:11, but again I don't care. I play and train only to become a better table tennis player, not to be a winner in table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
In a serious game in a league match etc. I don't want anyone to give me a point and I wouldn't give anyone a point. If I get a point I want to know I won it, anything else is an insult. In these matches you are generally playing people of a similar standard e.g. same division etc so there is no need to hold back. I like to use the points I get against a stronger opponent as a gauge of my progress. Hey you beat me 11-0 last time, this time I am going to get a point off you, next time I am going to get 3, and one day I'll be coming for you buster.:)

I also like to use my points margin over others as a gauge of progress. I think winning 11-0 is something to be applauded, kind of like a hole in one in golf. It is something both players can enjoy with a broad smile.

I think getting beaten 11-0 is motivating rather than demotivating - it says hey you got some work to do, and hey there is loads to learn here.

The other week I got to 10-0 and I thought I might get my first love game in a league match. Opponent got a net-court! Ended up 11-5.

(It is maybe a little different where the skills gap is huge and you are kind of trying to coach people on)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
The only time I would not play seriously at a game point is on a match point with a crowd I might do that exhibition type thing haha.

I have lost games 11-0 and won the match. It's ridiculous to give a point. It doesn't help their game, and it doesn't make them feel very good that the other player gave them a point! If you want to win by phycology, win by making them feel bad at losing 11-0 rather than losing even though they were given free points on purpose

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It doesn't come up that often. I did win once 11-0 against a guy I had really tough matches with and in the end barely won that match 4-3 and I am quite sure I lost the next game. He was a guy who battled hard and I don't think he would have wanted me to give him the point. One other time, really the only other time I remember it coming up, I gave the point but it was against someone I really couldn't lose to. Really the only two I can think of where I was in a position to do that.

This user has no status.
Bad. 11-0 is just decimating one's confidence in every way possible.
I mean if something big is on the line and you feel that you can do that and sleep well afterwards, by all means, do it.
11-1 is even worse. Nothing more humiliating that basically saying "Here, take this pity point."
If I am sitting on 10-0, i would normally give 3~5 points, then serve a kill-shot serve. (If you can take him 11-0, you should have at least one service that he cant receive properly.)
There was only this once i won by 11-0, a game against University of Birmingham, where I wanted to give point but served a ultra fast no-spin serve i have never did before instead....no idea how that happened. Lets not talk about that :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Bad. 11-0 is just decimating one's confidence in every way possible.
I mean if something big is on the line and you feel that you can do that and sleep well afterwards, by all means, do it.
11-1 is even worse. Nothing more humiliating that basically saying "Here, take this pity point."
If I am sitting on 10-0, i would normally give 3~5 points, then serve a kill-shot serve. (If you can take him 11-0, you should have at least one service that he cant receive properly.)
There was only this once i won by 11-0, a game against University of Birmingham, where I wanted to give point but served a ultra fast no-spin serve i have never did before instead....no idea how that happened. Lets not talk about that :p

You don't have to be better than someone to beat them 11-0. If you are up 4-0 it is a block of concentration which will make them upset which will make it easier for you. So giving 3-5 points boosts their confidence and gives them a chance in the match. I have won 12-10 from 10-3 and 10-5 IN TOURNAMENTS.

This user has no status.
You don't have to be better than someone to beat them 11-0. If you are up 4-0 it is a block of concentration which will make them upset which will make it easier for you. So giving 3-5 points boosts their confidence and gives them a chance in the match. I have won 12-10 from 10-3 and 10-5 IN TOURNAMENTS.
"dont have to be better than someone to beat them 11-0"
Maybe. But that almost never happens. And when I say youre better, i mean better on the day itself.
For someone to lose 11-0 it means:
1) They're straight up worse than you and can't do anything to your game.
2)They're having a bad day. Most likely illness/anxiety. From what i've experienced, that level of anxiety wont go away even with winning matches, let alone 3-5 points.
3) They cant be arsed to play. Ever seen a guy on a rush to finish a match to go on a date? Yea thats what i'm talking about.